Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1849 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Gnats - have you tried these?

In the next day or two we'll be trying a few things to kill these jerks.

1) 1/2" sand on top of the soil - supposedly keeps the gnats from laying more eggs and babes from getting out of the soil and replicating.

2) Beer trap! Supposed way to drown all the suckers. What a hangover!

3) Neem oil spray. I have a concentrate SOMEWHERE...

Thoughts on these?

*sigh* I think we gained the gnats when they were being babied outside for awhile before setting up inside... Oh well. Plants are doing well so far, but the things are annoying and my orchards are nearly dead from them and a fungus that started AFTER them.
    Buggy Reviewed by Buggy on . Gnats - have you tried these? In the next day or two we'll be trying a few things to kill these jerks. :) 1) 1/2" sand on top of the soil - supposedly keeps the gnats from laying more eggs and babes from getting out of the soil and replicating. 2) Beer trap! Supposed way to drown all the suckers. :) What a hangover! 3) Neem oil spray. I have a concentrate SOMEWHERE... Thoughts on these? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Gnats - have you tried these?

I know first hand that the sand trick definitely works. Another thing which works is dryer sheets laid on top of the soil and/or around the bottom of the pot where the air holes are.

Never heard of the beer thing. Neem oil doesn't do much as a spray for gnats, but neem put into water and poured into the soil when you water/feed helps. I wouldn't say it's 100% though. A quick temporary fix to cut down on their numbers is to hang a no pest strip in the area, for a couple of hours then ziploc it up and put it away. (make sure you're not breathing the air around it for long, and that other people and animals aren't exposed to it if you're indoors).

I had a horrid time getting rid of mine until I used the sand and dryer sheets.
    :bonghit: \"Whatever gets you through your life, it\'s alright, alright...\"