Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1529 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

N00B, what strains to go for, how much expected to need for relief? To grow or buy?

Hi all. My husband is dealing with severely debilitating back pain radiating into both legs and somewhat into his arms. Also, the radiating pain brings numbness and tingling to legs and arms as well. Lots of fun. The docs still have not been able to figure out why, what to do to fix it, what meds work, etc, and it's been 18 months.

While on a recent vacation out of state, my husband tried some pot to see if it would help (he was out of his main pain med as the doc doesn't want him to use it anymore, really)... It was AWESOME. His pain went from a 9/10 to a 0/1!!! Whole time I've known him, he's never been below a 2 because of a spinal fusion through most of his back (shoulder blades to L3!). So we're really looking into getting him set with our state as a medical marijuana patient...

I'm looking up info on everything, and wondering what strains people would suggest for him. He still wants to get back to being able to move around, be able to help raise our kids (ages 7 and 1) and play with them, and get back to woodworking or even actually WORKING again instead of being home or going to doctors all day every day...

Also, IF we grow our own (if we can do it safely considering our kids), how many female plants would he need to grow per YEAR for enough supply of normal use? How many growth periods would you suggest, or should we just do one batch per year?

For personal use with someone in that much pain, how much would you expect him to use per week or per month? Of course it will vary by how bad his pain is day by day, but generally? Would it be more than 1/2 ounce per month likely? If it's that low, is it worth getting set up to grow our own or just buy from the shops in town (there are 4 in small area about 5 miles away from us, 1 apparently with decent reviews)...

So would a closet (2.5'x4'x10'high) be enough space to generally grow 2-3 plants with enough yield to sustain his usage between harvests? I know from all I've read that the max number our state allows to grow per licensed patient is WAY more than enough for him if all are female and we only grow twice per year.

I do understand that everything also has to be cautious because of the kids - locked up, no evidence, etc. But my pharmacist and a few coworkers are VERY supportive of us going this route for his health needs as his current condition is abhorrent (actually, everyone I've talked to about this seems supportive or neutral). A couple of his docs are too, tho we've not broached it with his primary yet (no chance yet)... Any and all advice appreciated!

(BTW, he used a LOT in his distant past when growing up before his back surgery 20 years ago. Some since, but rare and not in the past 8 years. I used about 8 years ago myself before knowing my husband, and it's the only thing that let me eat enough when I was pregnant with my 7 year old so I didn't miscarry! I lost nearly 25 pounds (I started at 140) before I started using for a couple months to get past the nausea. I nearly lost her as it was just before I started, but it allowed me to keep her alive and she's a thriving child who's super smart and loads of fun! Although I REALLY dislike it when people use marijuana just because they want to and THEN do absolutely nothing with themselves or their lives and just sit around playing games, I'm all for using it for medical use and recreational use in moderation. I know a few total potheads that REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY annoy me because they are over 30 and living off their moms or girlfriends and play video games all stinking day long EVERY DAY and can't hold a job because they play games until 5am or later when work starts by 8 nearly every day! They also didn't go for education past high school because of no motivation. And I can't deal with those who lie and cheat and steal to get high. Can't stand those either. Just as in any group of people, there are those who can use properly and those who just can't it seems - see alcoholics for the main example I can think of. Off my soapbox!)
    Buggy Reviewed by Buggy on . N00B, what strains to go for, how much expected to need for relief? To grow or buy? Hi all. My husband is dealing with severely debilitating back pain radiating into both legs and somewhat into his arms. Also, the radiating pain brings numbness and tingling to legs and arms as well. Lots of fun. The docs still have not been able to figure out why, what to do to fix it, what meds work, etc, and it's been 18 months. While on a recent vacation out of state, my husband tried some pot to see if it would help (he was out of his main pain med as the doc doesn't want him to use it Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

N00B, what strains to go for, how much expected to need for relief? To grow or buy?

Start with some auto flowers and cfl lights. Autos can be ready to harvest in 60 days. Good way to learn and there are some that would suffice for pain. White Widow for one. Gotta move the cfls to keep the plant{s} getting enough light, but its economical and easier to keep secret because no exhaust or noisy fans are needed. You have a lot to learn, but its a good way to start.

Looking more into, thanks! I'm starting to think CFLs would be the easiest as well for now, too.

If we got into long-term grow, maybe LEDs if we could afford them (as it's just a personal grow, not too sure with current prices)

I've had a local friend suggest WW too - now just to look into seeds for such.

We're also dealing with the fact that my husband all of a sudden decided to go plant all his bag seeds (all 28 he got! EEK!). So we're currently looking at 24 plants growing. *sigh* Just found out right after the first post.

Can hardly wait to see how THIS works... *sigh* Just what I needed, way more plants than I can fit in my closet space (even with my GIANT 15' long by 2.5' closet!)...

well, it could be worse... best of luck in any event.

Read read & read some more! Peace

:thumbsup:
    Keeping pain at bay 24/7©:thumbsup: