Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1521 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Plants from mixed bird seed - Advice

I have come across some plants that look like Sativa of some kind. They were grown naturally by accident! , from some mixed bird seed outdoors in UK 9 plants in total all at various different heights. Unfortunately they had to be dug up and binned, but 7 made it back in pots to a back garden. Only have 3 to 4 viable ones left and not sure if they will amount to anything. I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I'd like to keep one if I can and am thinking of maybe gifting others to a friend who may want them to grow indoors as he has set up for personal use already and has grown just one at a time with some nice results
    I'm not sure what I have will turn out to be useless as may just be industrial hemp. They are youngish plants I reckon about only a month old given the growth rate and weather we have had in UK recently.
    There are what appears to be light brown pistils coming from the vs of plants, not many of them yet and I don't think that's a good thing to be happening?? stress of potting and moving site?? Is it worth trying to grow one outdoors in a pot given that I haven't a clue where put it without it going unnoticed or do I pass them off to a friend who just has one indoors for personal use. I know he would be interested, but also don't want to waste my time or his. Opinions on what these plants are likely to be or any advice would be welcome
    Thanks
    Cliff top bird Reviewed by Cliff top bird on . Plants from mixed bird seed - Advice I have come across some plants that look like Sativa of some kind. They were grown naturally by accident! :D, from some mixed bird seed outdoors in UK 9 plants in total all at various different heights. Unfortunately they had to be dug up and binned, but 7 made it back in pots to a back garden. Only have 3 to 4 viable ones left and not sure if they will amount to anything. I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I'd like to keep one if I can and am thinking of maybe gifting others to a friend who Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

interesting... I have been thinking of feeding my surplus seeds to my bird friends.

Hemp seed is very common in bird food. Usually the seed has been sterilized so it will not germinate. Chances are if it was not sterilized then it is industrial style hemp and you will have some good material for making cordage.

If this experience has given you the growing fever you may want to get some seed you know will produce bud. I will let you in on a little secret. Commercial/ middies/ schwagg/ import, whatever you call it, you know the stuff that has seeds. Grow these seeds. They come free with a bag of weed and will produce nice bud. Some of the best pot I have ever grown came from some sexy mexy. Once you get the hang of it you can upgrade to some designer seed and have a much better chance of success.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Feeling a bit daft now I did think they may turn out to be useless....just some very wishful thinking/daydreaming got me a little bit carried away... It has after all been in the back of my mind about growing just the one plant for personal use
    Being as I'm here right now I'm presuming if I want to try growing as above, I'd be better off investing in a greenhouse with some decent security/locks! and a reputable seed purchase? Just got to decide on which one to choose I guess, so that means I may be some time on here while I digest all this lovely information. I am a rookie when it comes to growing and the different strains that are available. Anyhoo got a long time to wait before I can grow a baby. Cash being in very tight supply what would be cheapest solution? It will be well in to next year before I can afford a greenhouse

Guys we have a jumper!

I love the enthusiasm!

You can start today it's not that hard. All you need are seed, soil, lights and a spot.

As far as seeds go you can usually get seed for free if you ask around. I discourage new growers from spending money on seed. Grow a couple of plants first then you should have enough knowledge to make your investment worth while.

Soil can be bought at local retailers, read up on soils all you like. Fox Farms is a name brand you will hear a lot.

Lighting is a topic we could discuss all day. For a first time grower I would suggest going with a cfl set up. cfl's can be had pretty cheap these days. Kelvin (k) ratings give a full spectrum as well. Look for 6500k to veg 2700k to flower. You will be able to grow and learn with this set up. Once you decide to upgrade to bigger better lights and start buying seed you should have the knowledge to make the upgrade viable.

The spot is totally up to you. A square closet, about 3x3 could grow one pretty nice plant with proper training. A grow box or tent in a spare room would house even more but more money as well.

Thanks for all the tips, really appreciated!