Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1664 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking about Smoking Weed in the Workplace

Hello All...

Just wanted to post a somewhat awkward and nervewracking experience I had the other day.

So I just started a professional job a few weeks ago, and the other day I made a mistake.

A coworker and I were talking about maybe going out for drinks (young guy like me) and I kind of said I didnt really like drinking but preferred to smoke, hoping of course that at best he would be agreeable and at worst just kind of not have a problem - no big deal kind of respone.

However, I am in the ignorant south (albeit FL) and his response was pretty horrific for me. I'm probably over-thinking it and worrying, but being that I'm new and they have a pretty firm drug-free policy, I'm a bit concerned he'll gossip or tell someone of authority!
    I basically just made a motion like I was hitting a joint, never said verbally anything about weed. He kind of looked at me like 'dude wtf why would you say that??' and looked around to make sure nobody was around. Basically acted like a scared coward and like what I had said was a serious offense somehow. In my mind, if alcohol drinkers can talk OPENLY and OFTEN about their use, pot smokers should at least be able to say 'hey I prefer pot to alcohol'. BUT alas, whats right is not always PC

So after that interaction, it was pretty awkward (for me at least) and I kind of just tried to move on from that and finish our business we were discussing. Then proceeded to worry pretty incessantly about it. Mind you, I've been clean for about 2 weeks and don't plan on smoking any time soon, so I'd probably pass a drug test soon anyhow. But still, I don't really want to be on their radar for 'drugs' or w/e, b/c then I won't be able to smoke in the future, and/or I might get some negative behavior towards me from people who still think it's 'immoral' or 'only for druggies' kind of thing.

What do you guys think I should or shouldn't do? I am probably going to hang out with this guy socially and drink or w/e, so that should help him to see that I"m not a 'druggie' and make him not want to screw me by telling anyone or trying to harm me.

Thanks for anyone with any thoughts on this....
    Emenderman Reviewed by Emenderman on . Talking about Smoking Weed in the Workplace Hello All... Just wanted to post a somewhat awkward and nervewracking experience I had the other day. So I just started a professional job a few weeks ago, and the other day I made a mistake. A coworker and I were talking about maybe going out for drinks (young guy like me) and I kind of said I didnt really like drinking but preferred to smoke, hoping of course that at best he would be agreeable and at worst just kind of not have a problem - no big deal kind of respone. However, Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Are you just venting uncertainty or asking a question that I'm not seeing?

I feel your pain (and paranoia). The apartment complex I live in has a "drug free" clause in the contract. That is: many of the older people who live here, who have chronic pain, can talk in the hallways about how the pain meds they get from their Big Pharma Pushers (their doctors) cause the side effects of nausea or hives or oozing sores. Those drugs are OK. But if they use mmj they can be evicted.

Probably best to simply not mention it, and if you are adverse to alcohol simply have a private word with the bartender to keep you supplied with "virgins" of whatever the group is drinking.

Interesting counterpoint, though, and food for another thread, perhaps:

The wife and I went to a restaurant a while back. I had just gotten my mmj license and we were quietly talking about using mmj for our cat's arthritis. The guy sitting next to us overheard, and got involved, in a very friendly and intelligent way, in our conversation. We three discussed medical marijuana, possible benefits, dosages, the issue of lab-testing, mmj success stories reported in the MSM, etc.

Our three-way conversation was therefore a little more audible, and I noticed that a middle-aged couple nearby was listening. I'm pretty good at reading body language and noted that they - initially - had high disapproval. Over about 15 minutes, however, the disapproval postures faded and were replaced by "interest" and "learning" postures.

What had happened, I think, is that the couple had been confronted with a trope contradiction. Their learned (indoctrinated) stereotype of pot smokers as "shady, confused, long haired hippy freaks" had been challenged by social evidence to the contrary.

This suggests (if I may borrow a term from the 60s) that "guerrilla theatre" (Guerrilla theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) might be a viable strategy in the battle for marijuana legalization. Or at least that portion of guerrilla theatre that consists of "spontaneous, surprise performances in unlikely public spaces to an unsuspecting audience." The satire, nudity and profanity of 60s-style theatre, however, should be left out.

The repeated "performances" of obviously intelligent, well-dressed, "everyday" people quietly discussing mmj would have a beneficial effect on public perception and, ultimately, voter approval.
    :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy in Stanton
    The repeated "performances" of obviously intelligent, well-dressed, "everyday" people quietly discussing mmj would have a beneficial effect on public perception and, ultimately, voter approval.
    Funny enough, studies show that a majority of voters already approve of the legalization and regulation of marijuana. Though this is fairly recent, within the last few years, and it is an upward trend with more and more support than previous decade over the last 50 years.

Wow, thanks for the great response! Well said, and very thoughtful. I happen to be in the panhandle in FL, so my hill to climb is quite a bit steeper probably than other parts of the nation. However, I really like your strategic comments there, and I've basically taken to a similarly nonchallant approach of simply mentioning how weed is becoming legal across the country, just a simple comment not an advocacy. Then simply reading their reaction, and if the ground is fertile proceeding to drop nuggets of information.

Thanks for the great response! Someday either enough boomers will come around and do their homework or die and we can be free to discuss all we want!

I've never been to Fla. but had always considered it to be a party state, I guess because of all the spring break stories I'd heard. When I saw the poll results for various states, I had to re-evaluate my views. I was suprised Fla was not in favor of legalization. (That poll result was from about 2yrs ago. Hopefully it's better now)
    Boomers!??!? Hon, we're the old pot heads & hippies! WTF are u talking about!?!?
    I\'m an ole\' tree huggin hippie. I do what I like & like what I do.

Babe... when you're the newbie, you never discuss taboo topics with a co-worker. For all you know, you could have been talking with the company narc! No one can predict the out come of your little conversation, only time will tell. Just remember, if you're not coveting your ass, then you're showing it. DONY. DO. THAT. AGAIN !

I'm still in shock over your 'boomer' statement. ....
    Ever hear of WOODSTOCK? THE SUMMER OF LOVE? How about Love ins, Sit ins, etc., etc.

Hell babe. WE STARTED THE LEGALIZATION MOVEMENT !

I'm not angry, I'm just shocked! Any old heads (boomers) wanna jump in here & tell this youngin' about the 60's & the movement?

Thanks for the great response! Someday either enough boomers will come around and do their homework or die and we can be free to discuss all we want!

What an ignorant thing to say.
    Boomers are not your problem. Most are retired and aren't working with you. I'm in my 60s and have been a Norml supporter for much longer than you've been alive (since the 70s).

What should you do? Hang out with the guy and drink and act like one of 'them'? That sounds about right.

Not to beat a dead horse.... but one more thing. Sounds to me like your co-worker shocked by your mimed mention of smoking was in your own age group, not a boomer, so really; what was up with the rude statement about boomers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Emenderman
    Wow, thanks for the great response! Well said, and very thoughtful. I happen to be in the panhandle in FL, so my hill to climb is quite a bit steeper probably than other parts of the nation. However, I really like your strategic comments there, and I've basically taken to a similarly nonchallant approach of simply mentioning how weed is becoming legal across the country, just a simple comment not an advocacy. Then simply reading their reaction, and if the ground is fertile proceeding to drop nuggets of information.

What is your personal involvement in the cannabis anti- prohibition fight? Feeble old minds want to know.

If your not part of the solutions...etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast