Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1906 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Learning as we go

Hi everyone! My husband and I are trying to grow in a homemade box. It's about 1.5x1.5x2, lined with mylar, and we have four daylight 1600 lumen cfl one 1600 lumen soft white cfl and one 3800 lumen brilliant light cfl. We bought a thermometer/Humidity thing, and the temp stays about 70-75 while the humidity goes up and down. (as low as 45% and as high as 99%!) I read the higher humidity is ok during flowering as it reduces salt levels.
    We both have read just about everything you need to know to grow, hes grown before, and i never have. Using Miracle Grow potting mix, we have 9 plants started from bagseeds and one clone a guy gave us. The clone is pretty stretched and the seedlings (now 2 weeks old) are doing fine. One particular plant smells strong, almost skunky already. The clone is in a 8" pot and the others are in solo cups. We're planning to move the best four of them to the 6" pots. We bought miracle grow potting mix, perlite, and some sphangnum peat moss for when we transfer. Our tap water is 7.8, so we bought a pH test kit and using lime juice it's now between 6.8 and 7.2. We know Miracle Grow isnt the BEST, but it will have to work for this grow. We're planning to get the best stuff for out next batch.So....what is the best ratio for the soil? Is using all of that going to be too much? Any suggestions about anything will be much appreciated!
    ManfaBear13 Reviewed by ManfaBear13 on . Learning as we go Hi everyone! My husband and I are trying to grow in a homemade box. It's about 1.5x1.5x2, lined with mylar, and we have four daylight 1600 lumen cfl one 1600 lumen soft white cfl and one 3800 lumen brilliant light cfl. We bought a thermometer/Humidity thing, and the temp stays about 70-75 while the humidity goes up and down. (as low as 45% and as high as 99%!) I read the higher humidity is ok during flowering as it reduces salt levels. We both have read just about everything you need to know Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Learning as we go

I have done something very similar. I'm no expert but here's my experience. 1) Go super light on the Miracle-Gro and nutes. Since it's already in the soil you wont need to do much else. Just my two cents, others may disagree. I think it's far easier to cause problems with Miracle-Gro and strong nutrients than it is to solve problems with them. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off without any EXTRA nutes. 2) I've been surprised how differently various strains react in a contained environment. I have Sativas thriving in the exact same conditions where I have an Indica of the same size and age suffering. My experience is you just have to go slow and monitor the ladies. 3) Neglect them rather than pamper them. Again, this was just my experience. When I tended to them regularly they did worse than when I just did what I thought was the bare minimum. 4) My growing really improved when I started chatting up the guys at the local hydro store. They got me on better nutes and mediums. The stores here also give away free worm tea. For me, tea seems to do the ladies better than strong nutes. 5) Lastly, I think it's wise to follow the instructions on the box of nutes. I don't though. I just feel like it's too concentrated. Over time I've found it best to use a little less than instructed. But more is better, right? That was not my experience. Especially when they are young, I go very, very easy with soil nutes.

Good luck! Hope I was of some help. Disclaimer: I've only grown about a dozen plants and they haven't all been perfect. So take my comments with a grain of salt.