Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1503 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Wattage of CFL and HPS for 2x3ft closet?

Just beenbrowsing at lights. I am hoping to grow some plants in my closet which has a floor space of just over 2x3 foot by a couple of inches. I am wondering what kind of wattage to use in both CFLs and HPS. I was looking at 2 150watt CFL for veg and then one 250 watt HPS for flowering.

Does this sound alright? I am still learning about all the lights and everything so any advice would be helpful
    LittleLeaf Reviewed by LittleLeaf on . Wattage of CFL and HPS for 2x3ft closet? Just beenbrowsing at lights. I am hoping to grow some plants in my closet which has a floor space of just over 2x3 foot by a couple of inches. I am wondering what kind of wattage to use in both CFLs and HPS. I was looking at 2 150watt CFL for veg and then one 250 watt HPS for flowering. Does this sound alright? I am still learning about all the lights and everything so any advice would be helpful Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Those CFL's are fine. I don't really know about that 250 Hps. You would need some way of cooling it down. They can get awful hot in a small area. If you have a good exhaust and intake fans, with some kind of cooling system, it would be good. How much Hight do you have? Good luck, and happy growing.

those can get kind of hot.

For a small space like that I would go T5HO or CFL's unless you can bring in fresh air and vent all the Heat HPS will bring. The T5's WILL get warm too, but not near as much and you can run them right over the plant tops.
    You can get 3 foot T5 fixtures, (fill the sky is my motto) plus you can add CFL sidelighting to supplement the lower branches. Light penetration is just less with the T5's than with MH or HPS.
    Shoot...it's amazing what I have seen people do with just CFL's!

It will take a lot of effort to cool down a 250w HPS in such a small space, I wouldn't waste your time with it. CFLs are great for small spaces and don't mess with your temps a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jsengbusch88
    It will take a lot of effort to cool down a 250w HPS in such a small space, I wouldn't waste your time with it. CFLs are great for small spaces and don't mess with your temps a whole lot.
    Good advice...I found the CFL's (without the clamp on metal shades) run much cooler than T5HO. I made some cardboard reflector bodies and lined them with Mylar and the heat is not a concern at all.
    Those metal shades are just heat exchanger's and don't reflect well anyway. Useless except for the clamp feature unless you need the heat.
    (Just my .02 mind you, and that ain't worth much).

I on the other hand would forget the Maylr, and just paint my closet with flat white paint. Good luck, and happy growing.