Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1656 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

From seedlings to harvest..

Looks like a job for Thumb-o-zine.

Carefully place the offending leaf tip on the outside of the base of your right index finger.
    Now bring your right thumb down squarely on top of said leaf tip.
    Apply considerable pressure while sliding thumb front to back, (not side to side), for 7 repeats.

Inspect.
    Any more eggs?
    Repeat.

Fast.
    Cheap.
    And if you wash your nasty thumb, non-toxic.

Seriously, with eggs that large and visible, hand removal is the best option.

Aloha,
    Weezard

The whole leaf is the size of my big thumb so I just pulled it off lol :thumbsup:

But Im more worried about the mother that laid the eggs, because the leaf above it has a big hole in it.

And I don't want it eating the buds, or even worse, laying eggs in them!!!

Trying to find it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack.

If it's a butterfly, or more likely a moth, the adults won't eat your plant.
    Surface poisons are ineffective.
    They fly in, lay eggs, and fly off.

Systemic poisons don't kill caterpillars until they start munching.
    So, it prevents maturing and laying more eggs, but does not help the plant that is now somewhat toxic to us.

At this late stage, hand removal before they hatch is the best action.
    These eggs are quite large and white.
    The new hatch will color match their food and will be very hard to see.
    So, squish early, and often.

The bud-worms that start bud mold have much smaller eggs, and they get laid one or two at a time inside the buds.
    For them, I use dryer sheets to repel the moths before they can lay eggs.
    Works a treat.

Aloha,
    Weezard

4.   Advertisements

Got some pretty nasty thunderstorms over the weekend. I was very unprepared and wasnt able to cover the big girls without causing damage. So i had no choice but to leave them uncovered. They seem to be doing fine, molding from the inside out is my biggest concern.

Today I built a simple PVC greenhouse for shelter, so the next storm wont be an issue.

The only bad news I have is the GDP plant has corn earworms. They are larva from moths. They come from the same eggs I found on the Purple lights plant (pictures above), but we never found any eggs on the GDP, so we think they were hatched in the soil.
    These nasty little caterpillars dig their way into the center of a bud, and kill them from the inside out. I had to give the whole plant a good spray with organic safer brand caterpillar killer.

When you open an infested buds, you will find 1 or 2 worms, and a bunch of little "balls", which is their poop. :wtf:

If you don't completely trim off the infested areas, the poop/dead bud, will eventually turn into mold, and it will ruin the entire plant.. Its best to remove it and take a small loss now, instead of losing everything later!!

The way you can tell if a bud is infested, is these little dry "patches". All the pistils on this "patch" will turn brown and crispy. If you pick at it, the whole section of dead bud will come right off, like opening a front door. Then you will see the home that the worm has made inside.. They are a very horrible pest!

Unfortunately its too dark to take pictures but I will take some tomorrow.

Took some pics of the PVC greenhouse I made. Very simple design. Just put 4 3 foot stakes in the ground for the base of the greenhouse to slide over.
    For now I'm just going to drape over a big tarp when ever a storm is coming. But next year I'll invest in some clear plastic so I can leave the roofing on all season.
    If you're planning on making something similar, I would recommend using 1" or bigger pvc. Because I only had this 3/4" and it sags more then I would like it too. If 3/4" is all you have, it will work just fine, just don't use anything smaller.

Let me know what you think. :jointsmile:

Attachment 294909Attachment 294910Attachment 294911

The GDP was harvested a few weeks back with a 25/75 amber to cloudy trich ratio, and its still a HEAVY hitter. :stoned: Dry harvest weight for the one mother plant was 1.1lbs. And i still havent harvested the 11 clones which will yield another 1-2ounces each. :thumbsup:

But the Purple lights is on its 11/12th WEEK OF FLOWER!! and its only a 1/99, amber to cloudy. Almost all the pistols are still white. Im starting to think that maybe an interuption in the light cycle caused it to restart its "flower timer".. because Ive never flowered a strain for longer than 8-10 weeks, and shes at 11/12 and still isnt maturing!

I guess i shouldnt say she isnt maturing, because she is, the trichs have matured to their cloudy stage. BUT the only amber trichs I see are on the "bud leaf", and the buds themselves are 100% cloudy. It has been this way for almost 2 weeks.

What do you think I should do? Should I just pull it? Its getting to mid 40's (°F) at night, and its supposed to rain and hit mid 30's in 4 days.

Some sativa crosses will never go amber, (it's genetic), so I'd say chop at least half of her now.
    Leave the rest for a couple more weeks to see if she's a "no-amber" gal for next season.

Aloha,
    Weezard

My friend that gave me the seeds said it was Northern Lights (pure indica) x Trainwreck (Sativa dominant), so that could be.

But after checking the weather report, it turns out I can let her go another 4 days, because I'm expecting a chance of rain and freezing temperatures on the 29th.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234