Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1911 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Concerns with Cloning

So I'm about to take clones for the first time, and it seems like a very straightforward process. Here are the steps I plan on taking.

1. Soak the rockwool in PH'd water for a while with a couple drops of superthrive (can't hurt).
    2. Take a clone from newer growth, make a 90 degree cut in the stem, scrap the the bottom of the stem a little (or split the bottom of the stem some) to provide more of a surface area for roots to grow, cut the big fan leaves in half, and remove any excess foliage that's near the bottom of the stem.
      • * If taking more than one clone at a time, keep them stored in plain water.
    3. Dip in rooting gel, place inwrung outrockwool (without the gel being scrapped off), place in a humidity dome (with heat mat) with the vents slightly opened, and place under 24/7 floral.
    4. A couple of times a day for 2 or so weeks until the clones root, take the dome off for a 10-30 mins or so and spritz with plain water.

While researching cloning methods, one thing that came up over and over again was that mold started to appear. Has anyone else been able to successfully clone using the same supplies that I have without mold almost ever being an issue?

Also, am I missing any important steps?
    doniboy Reviewed by doniboy on . Concerns with Cloning So I'm about to take clones for the first time, and it seems like a very straightforward process. Here are the steps I plan on taking. Soak the rockwool in PH'd water for a while with a couple drops of superthrive (can't hurt). Take a clone from newer growth, make a 90 degree cut in the stem, scrap the the bottom of the stem a little (or split the bottom of the stem some) to provide more of a surface area for roots to grow, cut the big fan leaves in half, and remove any excess foliage Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Concerns with Cloning

A couple of drops of Superthrive CAN Kill a clone. Use at your own risk. A drop per gallon can't hurt.

Careful with the dome and spritzing, that can be overdone and harmful.
    Keep the clones warm.
    24 hours of light, not to strong though.

Concerns with Cloning

Clone from the lower branches - they root easier.

Indicas and skunks clone easier as well.

You may want to leach the mother before cloning, flood the soil or mist the leaves, either will help reduce the nitrogen.

Don't be stingy with the cut, make it a little longer, if you leave another node, roots will start there pretty well.

Splitting the bottom of the stem is what many people do as well.

18 hours of light is plenty, and easier on the electric bill. Wanna light them up more, knock yourself out. Many people think the plants can use a rest, let them sleep a little.

Sterilize your equipment (the blade).

Now remember, clones don't have a tap root like seed, they fall over easier.

You can use the cloning method to determine the sex of seed. When a plant started from seed gets big enough, take a clone, then put it under 12 hour light and see if it grows out as male or female. It'll take 2-3 weeks probably.

Concerns with Cloning

Always thought that brand new razor blade, as one of my most important tools, and I only use it once. Keep temp right, diffuse the light(your dome). That's a lot of spritzing, might cause mold.