Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1714 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

The implications of psychoactive substances being able to alter consciousness

This always gets me thinking. What does this say about the nature of reality? That we can take a drug or smoke a psychoactive substance, and it can alter our perceptions and feelings and understanding? I think this basic fact says a lot about the way reality is constituted.

If an outside substance can alter my mind state, does that mean the soul is not separate from the body? If the soul is influenced by a physical substance, is this proof that the duality of physical reality and some separate and transcendental reality has to be false? I haven't thought it through enough yet to say anything definitively. But it definitely warrants consideration and I think is a good discussion topic. What do you guys have to say?

What does this say about the nature of reality? That we can ingest a piece of matter and it has an effect on the spirit?????
    Jack Charles Reviewed by Jack Charles on . The implications of psychoactive substances being able to alter consciousness This always gets me thinking. What does this say about the nature of reality? That we can take a drug or smoke a psychoactive substance, and it can alter our perceptions and feelings and understanding? I think this basic fact says a lot about the way reality is constituted. If an outside substance can alter my mind state, does that mean the soul is not separate from the body? If the soul is influenced by a physical substance, is this proof that the duality of physical reality and some Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

hello. your distinction between soul and spirit appears mingled. my belief is that psychoactive chemicals can alter the soul, and for many in a very positive way. for some it is just an awareness which coordinates physicality, while for others it can be deeply controlling for cadence and performance. to me, the spirit is never effected. the spirit remains true to the individual personality. the only affectation upon the spirit may be a happiness from self-awareness of soulful coordination.

I don't believe in a soul or spirit. I believe that we are the universe observing itself from different perspectives. Within our consciousness is the universe and everything in it (although we don't actually use enough of our brain power to ever tap the expansive amount of information contained within ourselves). What we see of that with our senses is reality. Reality isn't one certain thing, either. Every person has their own reality, and each is as true as any other.

As for when you trip, I think it's like looking within your own consciousness (and, therefore, seeing or feeling more of the universe than our normal senses can).

You have to remember that reality is a subjective concept.

It's all based on personal perception - and we typically agree that what most people think is real is in fact reality.

That's how we judge people to be psychotic meaning a break with reality that includes delusions, paranoia & hallucinations.

Because marijuana reacts with your neuro-receptors & brain chemistry & that's how you perceive reality, it's a no-brainer to say that it alters your perceptions of reality.
    So do many other things from herbal supplements to prescription drugs.

It's a matter of science - whether you believe in a soul, that you're one with the universe or you're god incarnate makes no difference.