Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1596 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Compost mix

I'm changing my soil mixture in an attempt to increase yields. I was using 1/3 MG potting soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 coco coir (plus feather meal, earthworm castings, kelp meal). I've substituted the MG with a compost and manure mix that Lowe's has for $2.24/40lb bag. It's cheap and it's not on the human shit list. I've just transplanted some Solo cups to 1 gal and some 1 gal to 5 gal. Does anyone have experience using a similar mix? Am I missing anything? Any opinions?
    vaper Reviewed by vaper on . Compost mix I'm changing my soil mixture in an attempt to increase yields. I was using 1/3 MG potting soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 coco coir (plus feather meal, earthworm castings, kelp meal). I've substituted the MG with a compost and manure mix that Lowe's has for $2.24/40lb bag. It's cheap and it's not on the human shit list. I've just transplanted some Solo cups to 1 gal and some 1 gal to 5 gal. Does anyone have experience using a similar mix? Am I missing anything? Any opinions? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Compost mix

I wish someone would've answered you! I'm messing around with my own soil mixture. I grew hydro with a partner and I switched back to soil when I went solo....so now I'm messing around with the mixture and trying to figure out what's best. So far, I only know that I hate perlite cuz it floats to the top when I water. Annoying. haha

Compost mix

check out my last two grow logs, the first page where I document my soil mix.
    Yes, I like a rich soil, I don't want 30%, peat, 30% coco and 25% perlite. That gives 15% left for organic matter. They you have to add the expensive nutrients and supplements all along the grow. You might as well grow hydroponic.

Compost mix

I just repotted my youngsters (2 weeks) into 1 gal. pots using a similar mix, manure + compost, and perlite. (1/3 of mix is perlite). It seems to me Stinkyattic mentioned using that mixture and said it did well (which is why I'm trying it). Keep me posted on how yours are doing, and I'll do the same!
    :bonghit: \"Whatever gets you through your life, it\'s alright, alright...\"

Compost mix

you talkin' to me? you talkin' to me?

Compost mix

So that's compost, they always said I was dazed and confused, but I thought...something, lost that, good shit Maynard.

Compost mix

I always add nutrients, no matter what kind of soil mix I'm growing in. Just always have, I guess it never crossed my mind not to haha I'm gonna try a mix of peat moss, potting soil, perlite and compost. Fingers crossed!