Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1517 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

air pump lowers ph?

ive been working on making the shift over to an rdwc set up so first thing i made is a little bubbler for seedlings etc. just for shits and grins i ran it over nite(no plants yet) and i noticed the ph had dropped almost a full point and a half?
    can i expect that on a regular basis? not that its big deal i was just curious. save me some ph down if thats the case.
    Mal420xl Reviewed by Mal420xl on . air pump lowers ph? ive been working on making the shift over to an rdwc set up so first thing i made is a little bubbler for seedlings etc. just for shits and grins i ran it over nite(no plants yet) and i noticed the ph had dropped almost a full point and a half? can i expect that on a regular basis? not that its big deal i was just curious. save me some ph down if thats the case. Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

air pump lowers ph?

I draw my water and let it sit while using air stones before I water with it as it is too cool, especially in the Winter. I also feed my plants with tea so I've seen the differences in pH as the water sits. So I draw the water and a day or two before I need to feed I add the nutrients. A day or two later I will adjust the pH before I feed the plants.
    Temperature does change the pH reading for electronic pH meters but they have compensation for that. Even at that, the worse case scenario would be .5 difference at 4.0 pH with a moderate temperature difference. At 7.0 the difference would be about .02, very little.

air pump lowers ph?

sounds like what im going to have to do also shov. water comes out mighty cold until mid june most of the time for me. my soil grows havent gotten big enough to use a whole lot of water until recently so it sits for good while anyway.
    didnt really think about the pump raising the water temp and changing the ph reading also. i expect some of it may be from the evaporation rate being increased so it breaks the chloramine and other ph buffers down faster possibly.
    i like the way it works so far anyway. just gotta get the top cut out and germ up some seed and get it goin on. I should have the rdwc....hmm well im still toying with a rdwc/aero hybrid thingo, but it should be done by later next week still need to find some parts.