Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1536 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

PH regulator for Organic Hydroponic Grow.

Hello, everyone
    I have a small grow room divided in veg state room and flowering room, both setups are hydroponic; the veg room is a drip irrigation system and the flowering room is an ebb & flood system. I had a few hiccups at the beginning (this is my first attempt at growing) but everything has been going smoothly and the plants are growing beautifully and surpassing any and all expectations. I'm currently on week 4 of flowering and the buds are big, dense and covered in trichomes (and they're growing everywhere!), I can tell it's going to be a great harvest (FYI: I'm growing Nirvana's AK-48 F).
    The issue:
    I really never checked the PH level because I was waiting for the meter to arrive -purchased online- because here they cost 3 to 4 times more than on the Internet. Anyway so it finally arrived and after calibration the reading on the reservoirs were 7.5 veg and 7,2 flower. All I'm using is tap water (ph 7.2) and for nutes I'm using Advanced Nutrients Iguana (Grow for veg and Bloom for flower) @ around 3.5ml/Lt.
    So, as far as I understand it, the optimum PH level is between 5.8 and 6.3 so I'm way off the mark. The issue here is not how to lower the PH, I'm well aware that there are many good products out there to do just that. The thing is that I chose to grow using just organic nutrients and I haven't used anything chemical, not even spraying the leaves with soap water for spider mites (which luckily I have none of)

So my questions is, if I use any PH regulator do I lose the 'organic' status. i.e. not organic anymore, or is it still regarded as organic. The fact is that I don't know where the line is drawn between organic or not organic growing, is it limited to the nutrients and pesticides or do water regulators count as added chemicals?
    For the second part, what is the effect of having a high PH, I know that nutrients are better absorbed at the optimum level but other than that I don't know the effects of having a PH of 7.5. The plants look great in both veg and flower and the buds are amazing, so one might think that the effect is not so bad (another reason I took so long in getting a PH meter is because everything was going so surprisingly well)

Humidity is about 40% when the light are on; 400w HPS + 3 100w energy saving bulbs between the foliage for flower and 4 2ft fluorescents (upright in the corners of the room which is about 4sq ft) + 4 100w energy saving bulbs that sit about 4in on top of the canopy on rope ratchets) but I haven't checked when light are off and the temps go down.
    Temperatures on flower are about 86°F (30°C) when lights are on for flower and a little higher for veg. I'm working on lowering these, any input or advice is appreciated.

So that's basically it. I don't know how to post photos since this is my first time at these forums but I have great pics of the buds.

Thank for any/all help!
    _Rodrigo_ Reviewed by _Rodrigo_ on . PH regulator for Organic Hydroponic Grow. Hello, everyone I have a small grow room divided in veg state room and flowering room, both setups are hydroponic; the veg room is a drip irrigation system and the flowering room is an ebb & flood system. I had a few hiccups at the beginning (this is my first attempt at growing) but everything has been going smoothly and the plants are growing beautifully and surpassing any and all expectations. I'm currently on week 4 of flowering and the buds are big, dense and covered in trichomes (and Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Get your PH down. I'm surprized you don't have many problems with nute lock out. There are no organic PH regulators.

Yeah I was surprised too, that's why I reached out to the community and asked for help on the matter.
    However my question wasn't about if there is an organic ph regulator or not, I wanted to know that, if I do use a normal ph regulator, will my grow still be organic or not.

Thanks!

Use of the word "organic" has to do with your grow being dependent on bacteria to break fertilizer down to a level that can be absorbed by the plant. Use of a pH adjuster is probably irrelevant (meaning it doesn't make a difference).

Quote Originally Posted by polishpollack
    Use of the word "organic" has to do with your grow being dependent on bacteria to break fertilizer down to a level that can be absorbed by the plant. Use of a pH adjuster is probably irrelevant (meaning it doesn't make a difference).
    Thank you, polishpollack, that's the answer I was looking for!