Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1674 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A world without money

Quote Originally Posted by MDFinest
    money is not the problem.. its a monetary based society where everything revolves around the moving of numbers on a screen and profiting of interest. Money does make trading efficient but when the society becomes entirely based on attaining money rather than producing resources abundantly.. then there is a problem.
    I disagree. Money IS the problem. You can't have a world with money, but without profiteering. The two come hand in hand. As I stated above, human incentive is a powerful thing, and I would see us incentivized toward something for the greater good of our species instead of for profit. It is selfish and against our inherent social nature.

Abundance is something that you will never see in a monetary based economy. It's not profitable. Economics 101 teaches you that when resources are SCARCE, the demand goes up, and therefore they become more expensive. I've heard of a diamond mine that burns diamonds into carbon products because to flood the market with all the diamonds they find would drive the price down, and would therefore be bad for business.

Abundance is not profitable. Sustainability is not profitable. Happiness is not profitable.

It seems to me that PROFIT, is the problem.

2.   Advertisements

A world without money

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_HistoryOfSalt.asp:History Of Salt

As far back as 6050 BC, salt has been an important and integral part of the world’s history, as it has been interwoven into the daily lives of countless historic civilizations. Used as a part of Egyptian religious offerings and valuable trade between the Phoenicians and their Mediterranean empire, salt and history have been inextricably intertwined for millennia, with great importance placed on salt by many different races and cultures of people. Even today, the history of salt touches our daily lives. The word “salary” was derived from the word “salt.” Salt was highly valued and its production was legally restricted in ancient times, so it was historically used as a method of trade and currency. The word “salad” also originated from “salt,” and began with the early Romans salting their leafy greens and vegetables. Undeniably, the history of salt is both broad ranging and unique, leaving its indelible mark in cultures across the globe.

A world without money

I don't mean to be dull, but what is your point?

A world without money

As far back as time, something is used to measure value. Even salt.

Money is not the problem, EVIL is! pr

A world without money

Quote Originally Posted by painretreat
    As far back as time, something is used to measure value. Even salt.

Money is not the problem, EVIL is! pr
    I disagree.

Money IS the problem. Money is what CREATES most of the evil we see in the world today.

When you can't spend time with your kids, because you have to work, does that make you evil?
    When you can't send them to college, because its too expensive, does that make you evil?
    Of course you're not evil, you just are incentivized to trade time with your kids for money...because we need money for everything.
    When your kids ask you why you can't stay home to spend time with them, do you tell them, "I have to make money." or do you tell them "I'm evil."?

You tell them you have to make money. It stands between you and your loved ones. From about 45000 years ago to about 3000 years ago, money did not stand between people and their loved ones. Sure, survival did, but then again, they didn't have the technology that we have.

I'm not saying that the origination of money is the problem. My point is that it is OUTDATED. We have insane technology today that we can't use, because its not profitable.

Look at green energy...this is obviously the correct way for mankind to go, yet we have been pussyfooting around it for over 10 years! It's not because anyone is evil, its because too many people would lose too much money if we no longer relied on oil.

MONEY is the problem. Not that it always has been, but it always will be.

A world without money

When man lived in a cave, they often had to go hunt for several days in a row, and often!

From the beginning of time, people trade their personal time for something of value. Even if only exchanging pride!

"He who has the most toys....." :rasta: pr

A world without money

Quote Originally Posted by painretreat
    When man lived in a cave, they often had to go hunt for several days in a row, and often!

From the beginning of time, people trade their personal time for something of value. Even if only exchanging pride!

"He who has the most toys....." :rasta: pr

Sorry, don't mean to be dull again...what's your point here?

That mankind trades?

Is this counter to my argument that a monetary based society is outdated, and causes global strife?

Cavemen are examples that are going to suit my argument much better than yours.

For instance, cavepeople did not go out and mass hunt animals and store them in the cave, to trade them off for profit.
    In early times, people were much less wasteful than they are today. They killed what they needed to survive, nothing more.

Today, we are wasteful. Why? Profit.

We build and sell things that are specifically made not to last. That way, when they break, people have to buy more/another.

We have the technology to make sustainable, environmentally safe products. We don't make them though, because not enough people can make enough money off of such things.

Everything we do is for profit, and it's rediculous. We are slaves to getting money.

He who has the most toys... what?

A world without money

Quote Originally Posted by Txbizpro
    Sorry, don't mean to be dull again...what's your point here?

That mankind trades?

Is this counter to my argument that a monetary based society is outdated, and causes global strife?

Cavemen are examples that are going to suit my argument much better than yours.

For instance, cavepeople did not go out and mass hunt animals and store them in the cave, to trade them off for profit.
    In early times, people were much less wasteful than they are today. They killed what they needed to survive, nothing more.

Today, we are wasteful. Why? Profit.

We build and sell things that are specifically made not to last. That way, when they break, people have to buy more/another.

We have the technology to make sustainable, environmentally safe products. We don't make them though, because not enough people can make enough money off of such things.

Everything we do is for profit, and it's rediculous. We are slaves to getting money.

He who has the most toys... what?
    good point but money really isnt a problem
    because sh#$ happens and everything will be fine because nothing matters
    ther is no such thing as evil or good
    because evrything is just what you make (or how you judge it)
    if we all die tomarrow what would we really have to show for it
    we live are whole lifes working or surviving
    and then we die
    so what then would you care what happens after you die!
    so money isnt a problem because there isnt a problem at all its just a way to keep us busy
    till the day we die....

A world without money

Quote Originally Posted by growhand420
    good point but money really isnt a problem
    because sh#$ happens and everything will be fine because nothing matters
    ther is no such thing as evil or good
    because evrything is just what you make (or how you judge it)
    if we all die tomarrow what would we really have to show for it
    we live are whole lifes working or surviving
    and then we die
    so what then would you care what happens after you die!
    so money isnt a problem because there isnt a problem at all its just a way to keep us busy
    till the day we die....
    This honestly is just sad.
    You have evolved, and adapted to deal with the shitty parts of this world.
    You're attitude towards life sounds medicated.

Money is the problem.
    Plenty of things matter.
    Good and evil should be looked at as relative right and wrong.
    You're right, everything is what you make it, I just want to make something different than what you do.
    A whole life of work should be fulfilling, it shouldn't separate you from your humanity.
    Money is a problem in fact because its just a way to keep us busy. That clause of yours was a very accurate generalization.

We have the technology today to automate so many different industries and replace labor with efficent systems that are sustainable and better for our environment. The sad thing is, in a monetary based society, automation of industries is in direct conflict with the livelihood of citizens. The more automation, the less jobs there are. Can't you see here by this example that money is in direct conflict with our human emergence of technology? Should we stop finding new technology? Or should we create a new societal system?

People might not be able to imagine a world without money, a resource based economy in which everything you needed was provided for you, a society that is led by scientists, physicists, technologists, inventors, and teachers of all things, but I'd imagine that people don't find your view of the world very attractive either.

A world without money

It is easier to understand once you understand monetary theory and how it applies.

Money = debt and vice-versa. Without debt, there would be no money. Money, or fiat, is just the representation of debt. CREDIT is how we screw ourselves.

The only way to balance it out is to infuse credit into the open market (continuously to keep the system from catching up with itself) because without it 99% of us would not have cars, houses, jobs, or things that the states do to run from point of spending to the income they receive from taxes. In fact, that is how money gets made every day, the promise on that note that says you will pay back the bank and that lets them conjure up the money out of nowhere although fractional (and reverse) ratio requirements are kept to make sure the system stays in check.

Sure, individual debt is bad and it sucks but if people stopped taking loans and we stopped using money your worth would be only what you had.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast