Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1649 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Pro/Con discussion: living in a MMJ-legal state

Hey all, glad to hear that the medicinal MJ is still going strong there :thumbsup:

I currently live in Missouri :greenthumb:and was considering moving to either NM or CA.

So what are the not so obvious pro's and con's being in a Medicinal state?

I appreciate the feedback in advance!!!
    High-and-Seek Reviewed by High-and-Seek on . Pro/Con discussion: living in a MMJ-legal state Hey all, glad to hear that the medicinal MJ is still going strong there :thumbsup: I currently live in Missouri :greenthumb:and was considering moving to either NM or CA. So what are the not so obvious pro's and con's being in a Medicinal state? I appreciate the feedback in advance!!! Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

welcome aboard High-and-Seek, :greenthumb:

I'm no expert so I hope that other will comment on here with more recent stuff but I lived In California very briefly after Prop 215 was passed and was able to get my card and shop at the coops and it was unf'nbelievably awesome. look for the sign with the green leaf, flash your card and legally walk out with ungodly huge sticky buds, wanting to show them off to everyone you see they are so nice and SO legal. there is nothing else quite like it.

the downsides of course, you have to move out of your home state and you get put on "a list", or more likely a database of weed smokers for the feds to target.

I live in Oklahoma and I'm seriously considering buying some land in Colorado. Right now In Colorado and Washington you can now grow all the bud you need (up to six plants at a time i think) with no medical visits or cards or lists or databases or any of that bs. much better. i would, if not move, at least buy property in CO or WA and grow your own.

I think by Dec of this year we should also see legal cannabis sales in CO and WA. When I was kid growing up in Missouri my dad would always buy COORS beer in Oklahoma and smuggle it across the border into Missouri because you couldn't get it in Missouri at the time. I can see a whole new generation of this happening soon, people driving up to CO to get fresh legal buds that they cannot buy legally yet in their home states. :jointsmile:
    [align=center]:s4:
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

Hey there.

I lived in in Northern California for about a decade. The MMJ program is very simple. You can go straight from the doc to the dispensary. No hassle whatsoever. The buds in California are amongst the best in the world. You can choose your meds based on THC,CBD ratios. It's a science there.

I now live in New mexico. The program here is very difficult to get in to and costly. Arguably not even worth it. Then your just stuck with 'drug dealers.'

If it were just down to mmj, California or Colorado hands down.

Not all MMJ states are equal... in fact, not even close.

But there are a lot of other factors, right?

New Mexico has a beauty that i've never seen before. It's MUCH cheaper than California, but less work available.

Some Pros/Cons.

Best,

yes, the California med process was very simple and straightforward. it fact, i got a flyer from this girl that i bought some bud from near the park one day that explained the whole process and got me started. :rasta:

the doctor I went to was in the back of a coop so I had to go past all the counters of bud to get to his office :smokin:. the doc is this laid back really cool dude with a pony tail. I was kinda high already at the time and almost got paranoid thinking he was a cop or something :stonedthis was right after 215 and the coops were being busted daily at that time). it just seemed too good to be true. but i started talking to him about how i like to smoke a little bit a of good bud and then stretch out and how it helped me relax my muscles and let them stretch out. We talked for about an hour but it seemed really quick i was enjoying. I did not find this out until years later, but it turns out he is a very well known doctor in his field. he is famous for his research on cannabis and relaxation of the muscles.

at that time you could get a med card from one of the private card providers, like the Oakland Cannabis Buyers Club, which is where I got mine. they were really cool there. as soon as my letter and id, etc. all checked out they issued me my very own buyers club card and told me about the secret room in the back of the Bulldog coffee shop a few doors down, so i walked down there and showed my card, went in the back and had my mind blown. :jointsmile:

just to be clear .. when i called it all bs, i meant just the whole idea that free people have to go thru such hoops just to use this natural herb is bs. an herb so natural that our own human bodies have evolved a unique neural synaptic site that is specific to the cannabis molecule. for some of us, our bodies seem to need this natural molecule for normal eating, sleeping and relaxing functions, yet we have a handful of radical prohibitions that will have you locked up if you try to grow and consume it. they have built a massive centralized 'authority' that functions solely to perpetuate itself by any means needed to maintain their black market monopoly. even if it means atf agents arming drug cartels to rub out the competition and controlling our lawmakers like loose change in their pockets. :twocents:

I've actually heard a lot of good comments about the medical approval process in many of the med states on this forum. so even if we do see full legal cannabis in our life time, maybe the medical cannabis doctors can continue for those who would like a doctor's advice. but, for the rest of us, just open up shop and sell it, there is no need for the gov to have an inquisition about it. :twocents:

and yes, New Mexico is a beautiful place to live, irregardless of the mmj program. But, personally, I'm thinking Colorado if you want to grow legally right now with no questions asked.
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

btw, my comments were about prohibition in general not New Mexico, i just noticed that this is in the NM section. I've never lived in NM but love visiting friends there.
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

Nice posts Boaz. I lived in oakland for seven years, great town.

I also think the Pharmacuetical industry ties directly into the complex you refer. The medical benefits of marijuana are ASTOUNDING in scope, which is a direct threat to conventional medicine, i.e. money. As I've gotten older, and experienced more of the healthcare system here in the us, it has become clear what a viable alternative mmj is for so many afflictions, which is in direct contrast to the pill-pushing industry. And those crazy drugs are regulated by the FDA! Go Figure.

I just hope the stigma here and elsewhere continues to change that marijuana is just for getting 'high'. It's frustrating to see that attitude still so prevalent among smokers themselves. But times and attitudes change, I guess.

Since this thread is about NM/CA though I would point out that it ain't like folks aren't trying here in NM:
    Legalizing marijuana in New Mexico a possibility - The Round Up Daily: News

It's just kinda difficult when your governor doesn't even support medical usage.

I haven't tried anything in NM.

California: Pro's/Con's: MMJ state with questionable access. Just looked in the Palm Springs area, many collectives are silently closing in Southern California.

It would seem, the difference you seek: Maybe access? Maybe growing? Plan to live in the city or country? :rasta: pr

Quote Originally Posted by trister
    Nice posts Boaz. I lived in oakland for seven years, great town.

I also think the Pharmacuetical industry ties directly into the complex you refer. The medical benefits of marijuana are ASTOUNDING in scope, which is a direct threat to conventional medicine, i.e. money. As I've gotten older, and experienced more of the healthcare system here in the us, it has become clear what a viable alternative mmj is for so many afflictions, which is in direct contrast to the pill-pushing industry. And those crazy drugs are regulated by the FDA! Go Figure.

I just hope the stigma here and elsewhere continues to change that marijuana is just for getting 'high'. It's frustrating to see that attitude still so prevalent among smokers themselves. But times and attitudes change, I guess.

Since this thread is about NM/CA though I would point out that it ain't like folks aren't trying here in NM:
    Legalizing marijuana in New Mexico a possibility - The Round Up Daily: News

It's just kinda difficult when your governor doesn't even support medical usage.
    Thank you! I live in Oklahoma right now, we have a senate bill being prospered but we'll see. i don't think our gov is big fan of herby either but we do have the voter sponsored initiative option here if needed or if that would help.

New Mexico is light years ahead of us over here. we don't even a medical exception that I'm aware of.
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

Hey thanks for welcoming me and for the highly insightful thoughts and comments!
    It seems like NM is rather annoying to get the "card". CA and Colorado sound like paradise tho. I'm looking into transferring to Cali so hopefully everything goes as planned. Again I can't thank all of you enough...:clap: