Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1587 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

we could REALLY use a odor section!!!

Just a thought.
    Lemme know if u agree.
    Let's make this happen!!!
    KnowledgeIsPower Reviewed by KnowledgeIsPower on . we could REALLY use a odor section!!! Just a thought. Lemme know if u agree. Let's make this happen!!! Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Like how to use Ozone or carbon filters? pr

PR....I know that you're moving in the direction of stealth. I have saved a file of low odor strains but then who could ever try them all out to compare.

I ordered a strain for other reasons that turned out to be very low odor, it's Apollo11 from Joey weed in Canada. It would save you the cost and exhaust of a stink filter, and in your environment may turn out to be quite useful.

Good luck with your indoor project.

Horsemanrocks.

Quote Originally Posted by painretreat
    Like how to use Ozone or carbon filters? pr
    That 2. Kinda like how we got a whole page jus 4 indoor lighting threads, we should have one 4 odor.

:thumbsup:IDk, if they did, we might need one for strains that don't smell so bad, either? LOL

Guess the indoor growers really need to weigh in on this. But, we CAN, turn THIS thread into a START!!

I don't think they have any growers on the other side of the forum, to really evaluate the need. maybe, more input here! :jointsmile: pr

I agree. These carbon filters are expensive. I would like to hear what the bruddas think about them.

I read on another forum, WashougalWonder, a member here (i think), but the post is elsewhere, I'll copy part of it, but you may be able to google it and find the actual thread. Not allowed to post links here...or I get a vacation from this site, lol (at my age, could be a death sentence).
    Reclaim Carbon Filter...a how to.

Well I never was really convinced that the filter made any difference until I took it off. Wow, stink!

So my fan is like 800 cfm and the filter is 8" inside diameter and 4 feet long, outside diameter is 12". It is a Phresh brand filter.

I was noting a decrease in air flow, and increase in humidity and being it finally broke into the 80+ temps, I figured it was time to try and save $200 for the price of a new filter. Through a little research online....gotta love the internet......I read up on the process to reclaim this type of activated carbon.

First you have to get the carbon out of the filter. At the open end, there are 4 pop rivets that you drill out. This releases the end cap which just lifts off. Take the cloth/netting stuff and separate it, with it going to the outside and the inside as it is just a bag holding the carbon. By taping it, it prevents hangups and spilling of the carbon particles.

You will need at least 3 five gallon buckets for a filter my size (1000 cfm). Carefully and slowly pour out the carbon granules into buckets. For now it can be plastic buckets. Do not breath any more of the dust than possible during any of this process, and next time I am using an inexpensive respirator to keep down on the chemicals that will offgass during this process.

Next you wash the carbon in plain ole water. You must put a filter over the drain, a washcloth or cheese cloth will do. It was quite interesting to watch as the really volatile stuff bubbled off in the water. Stir it around and rinse several times until the water remains clear. Again, this stinks to high heaven and made me cough quite heavily on the first batch I did.

So after washing, let drain, it really retains very little moisture. Now the heat part. I used my Barbecue because it has a thermo on it. It needed a good burn off anyhow, so I cranked it up to 500 degrees, though data said 350 was sufficient.....In this case too much cannot hurt. Now you must be aware that some of the volatiles have not offgassed and if uncovered there can be a fire. I tried both ways and found uncovered to take about half as long and no fire. Stink? Whew! A sweet but unpleasant odor. Do this outside...really. You can use an oven, but I cannot imagine how bad it would make the house stink.

Think of that part of the process as a vaporization of the final volatiles. When 'cooked' the smell will be much less and there will not be smoke when stirred. I used some aluminum turkey pan trays to do this. DO NOT DUMP THE HOT CARBON ONTO ANYTHING THAT CAN BE EFFECTED, it takes a loong time for it to cool.

At this point you have reactivated the charcoal and by using a big funnel over the inside part, that acts as a protective cone to keep the carbon out of the center part as you refill it. Slowly fill the cavity back up with the carbon and use a couple of sheet metal screws to hold on the outer cover. Mine had a final protective piece of foam to keep the whole device tight, so don't forget to replace that too.

I am still doing the heat part, I have one batch to go, so it will be another 48 hours before I have it back assembled and in place......Let ya know later if there are any issues. It was worth the savings on a big one, but if your filter is under $100, it may not be worth the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsemanrocks
    PR....I know that you're moving in the direction of stealth. I have saved a file of low odor strains but then who could ever try them all out to compare.

I ordered a strain for other reasons that turned out to be very low odor, it's Apollo11 from Joey weed in Canada. It would save you the cost and exhaust of a stink filter, and in your environment may turn out to be quite useful.

Good luck with your indoor project.

Horsemanrocks.
    But wat if u WANT really stinky bud??? (love that smell :thumbsup

thnx 4 postin guys!

I plan to grow in a room of my house, not using a cabinet or exhaust system. Will any of the odor absorbing gels work to keep the smell in check? I saw where one fella put some in a bucket with holes and a fan exhausting out of the top (drawing it in through the bucket with the gel) and he said it worked well. Has anyone tried this and can verify? How about jars of odor absorbers bought from the hardware store?
    :bonghit: \"Whatever gets you through your life, it\'s alright, alright...\"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast