Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1701 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

I have to vent!!!

I'm going to have my horse put down and everyone in my family is mad at me about it. My mare is close to 30 and in in the last 8 months has dropped off rapidly. She's been under vet care who said "She's almost 30 age declines you", we've tried everything but she looks so malnourished. If I was riding by and didn't know the situation i would report her to animal cruelty agency myself. I;'ve had her 8 yrs and i love her dearly. she has a good run the last 8 yrs with regular veterinry care and regular farrier care and food everyday right on time which is a lot more than I think she got before she came to our place. She's been a wonderful and most loyal mount. I'm going to give her to a fella who sells meat to zoos and i will stay with her til she drops and is gone. The thing is, this must be planned for because I don't have a truck or horsetrailer so i will paying someone to haul her (and me) up there. Without a backhoe for burial or a truck to haul I feel this is the right thing to do. I don't want her to die in the pasture and have to scramble around for a way to move and bury her. My family (and frankly some of friends) think I am totally heartless. I have had to put horses down before, some died of old age, and others accidents, and it was very hard to scramble around trying to find a backhoe in my area and a tractor to move them and still maintain my composure. You really can't wait around with a body that big, get it? I don't trust anyone to take her for me Call me crazy but I,myself, need to see her go down. I would be so afraid that perhaps it wouldn't happen right away if I wasn't there to see. You know...horses waiting to be put down aren't always cared for properly (water and food) and i couldn't see her standing in a lot for a couple of days w/o food or water
    It's really killing me but I know this is the best thing for both of us. I'm crying about it too but it has to be done.
    I love her very much and I feel the best way to repay her for her honest work and loyalty to make sure she gets a humane end. Why won't everyone see that? Is it me? Am I crazy? I love that silly old horse and will miss her always. My heart says its time. I wish this weren't so hard. I feel so alone right now. Thanks for listening
    reefergrl Reviewed by reefergrl on . I have to vent!!! I'm going to have my horse put down and everyone in my family is mad at me about it. My mare is close to 30 and in in the last 8 months has dropped off rapidly. She's been under vet care who said "She's almost 30 age declines you", we've tried everything but she looks so malnourished. If I was riding by and didn't know the situation i would report her to animal cruelty agency myself. I;'ve had her 8 yrs and i love her dearly. she has a good run the last 8 yrs with regular veterinry care Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I have to vent!!!

A good friend of mine put down a 35y/o mare that they grew up with, really sad. I think the most shocking part was how they buried the horse with the tractor..I feel for you a good animal is hard to find. Enjoy the time spent in health with them. Im always sad when my dog goes, their lifespan is so short. I just got a puppy last year and am through the training hell of puppy. Possibly its time to get a new horse and hang a memory on the wall and enjoy that they are in peace. -all the best.

I have to vent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reefergrl
    I'm going to have my horse put down and everyone in my family is mad at me about it. My mare is close to 30 and in in the last 8 months has dropped off rapidly. She's been under vet care who said "She's almost 30 age declines you", we've tried everything but she looks so malnourished. If I was riding by and didn't know the situation i would report her to animal cruelty agency myself. I;'ve had her 8 yrs and i love her dearly. she has a good run the last 8 yrs with regular veterinry care and regular farrier care and food everyday right on time which is a lot more than I think she got before she came to our place. She's been a wonderful and most loyal mount. I'm going to give her to a fella who sells meat to zoos and i will stay with her til she drops and is gone. The thing is, this must be planned for because I don't have a truck or horsetrailer so i will paying someone to haul her (and me) up there. Without a backhoe for burial or a truck to haul I feel this is the right thing to do. I don't want her to die in the pasture and have to scramble around for a way to move and bury her. My family (and frankly some of friends) think I am totally heartless. I have had to put horses down before, some died of old age, and others accidents, and it was very hard to scramble around trying to find a backhoe in my area and a tractor to move them and still maintain my composure. You really can't wait around with a body that big, get it? I don't trust anyone to take her for me Call me crazy but I,myself, need to see her go down. I would be so afraid that perhaps it wouldn't happen right away if I wasn't there to see. You know...horses waiting to be put down aren't always cared for properly (water and food) and i couldn't see her standing in a lot for a couple of days w/o food or water
    It's really killing me but I know this is the best thing for both of us. I'm crying about it too but it has to be done.
    I love her very much and I feel the best way to repay her for her honest work and loyalty to make sure she gets a humane end. Why won't everyone see that? Is it me? Am I crazy? I love that silly old horse and will miss her always. My heart says its time. I wish this weren't so hard. I feel so alone right now. Thanks for listening
    Euthanasia: A practice, well, I'd like a link, but...argh!
    Euthanasia ?? What You Need To Know About Putting a Horse Down

It??s something no horse owner wants to think about. Although horses have a life expectancy of twenty-five to thirty years, we are never ready to say goodbye to our old friends. However, even younger horses can face the prospect of euthanasia in the event of severe illness or injuries.
    Unpleasant as the prospect is, having a plan and knowing what to expect can save both you and your horse unnecessary suffering.

The decision is left in the owner??s hands. Few veterinarians will recommend that a horse should be put down. Their job is not to do that. If your horse becomes very ill, badly hurt, or is facing emergency surgery, the veterinarian??s role is to clearly communicate the facts about your horse??s condition and its odds of survival and recovery. This gives you the
    information you need to make a decision about what to do next.

However, most veterinarians will offer euthanasia if there is no chance that the horse will survive or no other way of relieving its suffering. Sometimes, they will also discuss euthanasia if the horse has become a danger to itself, its owners, or the horses around it. Even in these circumstances, the final decision rests with the owner.

Also, some veterinarians may refuse to euthanize a horse at the owner??s request because it has become too old or arthritic to rid. A horse might not be able to be ridden or used, but it can still be a good companion animal and live comfortably if turned out to pasture. If the owner is unable or unwilling to bear the expense of keeping an unusable horse, the veterinarian will often weigh the horse??s prospects of finding another home before refusing or agreeing to the owner??s request to put it down.

Not only can a veterinarian refuse to put down a horse that he feels is healthy if unusable, he may also refuse to try to save a horse if he feels its death is inevitable or that the treatment will only prolong its suffering. The veterinarian has the ethical duty and right to make these decisions, but this can be difficult for an owner to understand when already upset at the prospect of losing their valued horse.

Also, if your horse is insured, you should make sure that you have read and understand the coverage before euthanizing your animal. Policy provisions and exceptions can add an additional layer of complexity to an already difficult decision. Insurance companies want to be informed of health problems before they reach the point where euthanasia is an issue. Being familiar with your policy and its terms can save your horse hours of suffering should an emergency occur.

While you do not have to delay emergency surgery if you can??t reach your insurance company, most of them want to authorize the use of anesthesia. You may have to notify them after the surgery has already begun. Many will authorize the veterinary surgeon to use his best judgment in the event the insurance company cannot be reached, and report to them on the next business day.

However, this is often not the case with euthanasia. The insurance company often requires that it approves this procedure before you can put your horse down. If they feel that you have not done everything in your power to keep the insurance company informed, they may refuse to pay on the policy due to ??neglected duties of prior or timely notification.?

The best-case scenarios for euthanizing a horse both involve intravenous barbiturate overdose. A horse undergoing surgery can be given the overdose via the already-established IV if it becomes clear during the surgery that the horse will not survive. It is also common for a horse to be euthanized by intravenous injection outside of surgery. As soon as the drug is given, the horse loses consciousness, and its pain is relieved almost instantly. This can be a comforting thought for the owners.

Beyond these scenarios, things can get a bit more difficult. If your horse is badly injured or in significant pain it can be dangerous to attempt to use an injection. If it is in shock, its circulation may be too impaired to transport the drug to its brain and heart, and the veins may be difficult or impossible to locate to administer it. In this situation, the veterinarian may need to use a .22-caliber pistol to euthanize the animal.

The gun should be positioned perpendicular to the forehead, in the center of an imaginary X formed by a line from its left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. If the gun is properly positioned, death is instantaneous.

The veterinarian will listen for a heartbeat or check the eye for a reaction by touching it to ensure that the horse is dead. The eyes of horses are very sensitive, and if any sensation remains in a severely injured but living horse, it will be felt in the eye.

If a horse needs to be put down while being transported, either due to illness or a trailer accident, the owner should call the state police. They can recommend a local veterinarian to euthanize the horse, or in emergencies where the horse is in extreme pain, they can shoot the animal to end its suffering.

If your horse is injured during competition, check to see if they have a veterinarian on hand to handle emergencies. Most large competitions will, but smaller gatherings may not. If not, ask the competition management to put you in touch with a local veterinarian. If the vet must euthanize your horse, he can also advise you on the best way to remove the horse??s body for burial or disposal.

Being present during your horse??s euthanization is a personal choice. Veterinarians usually advise against it, however. Anytime a large animal is put down, things may not go as planned. This is especially true during stressful situations, such as those that might necessitate an emergency euthanasia procedure. The complications which sometime arise when a horse is put down can be distressing, dangerous, or unpleasant to watch. Unless you are sure you can handle this, it is best not to be present.

Unfortunately, deciding to put your horse down and enduring the process is not the end of it. There is still the matter of dealing with your horse??s body. If your horse is euthanized at an equine hospital, they will probably offer to take care of the disposal for an additional fee. Otherwise, the arrangements are left up to the owner.

If at all possible, try not to delay burial. Rigor mortis sets in around two hours after death, making it more difficult to move the horse??s body and necessitating a much deeper and wider grave to bury it. Rigor mortis persists for around a day. Unfortunately, if you have not located someone nearby with a backhoe before your horse is put down, it might take this long to hire the backhoe and dig the grave.

It is better to talk with other horse owners in your area and know the name and phone number of a reliable backhoe operator before you need him. If you board your horse, the barn manager may be able to recommend someone to you. Also check with your local county offices to make sure that there are no ordinances prohibiting the burial of large animals at your location. If you know this information in advance, you can arrange to haul your horse??s body to another location for disposal. Removal services may also be available, and your veterinarian probably knows about them if they are.

If you have advance notice that your horse is going to be put down, have the burial spot picked out and the grave dug before your veterinarian arrives. It??s important to choose a spot which does not drain toward a well or water supply for sanitary purposes. It is safe to bury your horse in a pasture used by other horses, so long as you are sure the earth over the burial site is well-packed. However, if your horse has died from a contagious disease, it??s best to bury him far from your other horses or, preferably, use a professional disposal service to properly take care of the body.

If you are unable to bury your horse, sometimes you will be able to find a rendering service. Some will even pick up the body free of charge. County landfills may also allow you to drop off animal remains, but you must take care of transporting the body there. Your equine veterinarian is a reliable source of information as to what is available in your area, and may have good recommendations for you.

It is also possible to have your horse cremated rather than buried or hauled off.

If the owner wishes, the horse??s ashes can be placed in a decorative urn and returned to the owner by mail after the horse is cremated. Owners should be aware that the cremation of an average size horse will produce forty to forty-five pounds of ashes. The owner will also receive a certificate which states that the ashes are guaranteed to be those of the owner??s horse.

On average, the cremation of a horse costs around three hundred dollars. This is roughly equivalent to the cost of hiring a backhoe to bury the horse.
    The above copied and pasted (Horses an Horse Information)

reefergl: I am with you on this! I can hardly wait, until Oregon is joined by the remaining states for Euthanasia for us!

I refrain from large dogs, as when they get too old, it is too hard to get them to vets, etc.

However, I have not owned a horse/pet. I do have friends that do...There is nothing that will make it easier on you or your pet. If I were your pet...I would be so happy to know, you were putting my quality of life as a priority.

Planning, is better. IN the future, I hope, I can do that with my pets. My last little dog, as I was having her put down, I felt her life leaving, before the needle touched her skin. I hand fed little Buttercup for over two years with baby food, after a severe bought with prancreatitis. Even though she was smiling and her little tail wiggled, while her bright and shiny eyes gleamed at me the night before and I took her out for her business. She, sadly, had a heart attack and seemed ok for many hours and I watched her all night. Finally, at 5:30 AM, she just did not look right.. I was 1 mile from animal ER..
    I sure hope she never suffered! And your planning wisely..you won't have to wonder, in the future!

Reps to Ya! Sorry you have to deal with this. But, it is the respectful thing to do. imho! pr

I have to vent!!!

Hey guys thank you for the support. I really needed that. It is done. I have cried and cried but I know it was the right thing. I was very surprised by the gentleman's humane and professional manner. He was very kind both to me and my horse. I took a large beach towel with me and said my goodbye to her. I waited in the truck til I heard the shot (only one thank God) and then my friend came to get me. They had placed the towel over her head after she was gone and I saw her body only. She didn't seem upset at all when she got off the trailer. She didn't seem afraid either tho I know she could smell death in the air. I feel that she was so tired. She was a fine old horse who carried me many miles. Not worth a dime to anyone else but worth millions to me. She was worth so much more than the $700 I purchased her for. I will always remember her with joy. RIP Ms. Penny you impacted my life like no one else ever has.
    And I don't mean to ramble on and on but I have to say how patient and smart she was. She trusted me like no other horse I've ever had. Always the first to cross a wooden bridge or go thru water when everyone else's horse was balking. She wasn't very fast but that was ok... my speed days were over with too. I could hold a soda and a doobie and bie-bop down the trail on her without any worries of bolting or shying....nothing ever really bothered her. She was a great mount and friend. Even tho my heart is aching and my tears won't seem to stop I know she is at peace and resting in a good place. It was the right thing to do. Why is right thing always the hardest? Thanks a lot to those of you who took the time to respond to my post. You really did help me deal with this.