Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1657 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

DIY set-up of CO2 from fermentation of Turbo Yeast

Hey guys and gals.

So I decided to set-up some DIY CO2 for my grow room. I really don't know if it will make much of a difference but Ill have to try it out if I want to get the 1 gram per watt I'm looking for.

So the tools I used are:

5m of 5mm plastic tubing, 3 x 5mm 'T' pieces, black duct tape, 5mm valve, 2 litre plastic milk carton, a craft knife and some super-glue.
    Altogether everything was very cheap.

5M of 5mm tubing : $5
    5mm glands : $3
    Package of 5mm 'T': $3
    Turbo Yeast : $4

[attachment=o285258]

For the fermentation process I filled the 2 litre milk carton with 1 litre of water. I added 8 large spoons of sugar and 1 large spoon of Turbo Yeast.

I only added 1 litre of water to be safe as I don't want liquid travelling up the 5mm tubing. I will measure where the bubbles stop in the carton. I will then know where to fill to for the next time.

[attachment=o285259]

So I'll be changing the water each week to keep the CO2 process, hopefully, at a constant. I will also give the milk carton a good shake each morning and during the day. The amount of yeast in the package was rated at 21 litres so I divided the yeast into 8 equal parts to use each week. There is far more yeast in each litre (2x) than specified for the creation of alcohol, however, I don't want to make alcohol, I want CO2.

Hopefully this minor, inexpensive, effort will give a 20 - 25% increase in the final yield. If not it was fun putting it all together anyway.
    The milk carton is on the floor and the tubing is attached to the roof of the tent. The 4 tubes, one for each plant, then run down the CFL's cables to the top of the plants.
    I will be checking the valve to fins the correct degree of CO2 release without the milk carton exploding ! I really don't know what will come of this. I always keep my extraction fan on so this may be a bit of trouble. Unfortunately it is summer here and the air outside the tent is at 22 degrees. The tent reaches 29-30 degrees when the lights are on. I can't turn off the extractor, I can only slow it down. The plastic tubes hang right down to the plants so the CO2 will get there, I just don't know for how long.

However, if I manage to get the 1GPW I will certainly be doing it again !

Take Care All

S.L.
    silent leprechaun Reviewed by silent leprechaun on . DIY set-up of CO2 from fermentation of Turbo Yeast Hey guys and gals. So I decided to set-up some DIY CO2 for my grow room. I really don't know if it will make much of a difference but Ill have to try it out if I want to get the 1 gram per watt I'm looking for. So the tools I used are: 5m of 5mm plastic tubing, 3 x 5mm 'T' pieces, black duct tape, 5mm valve, 2 litre plastic milk carton, a craft knife and some super-glue. Altogether everything was very cheap. 5M of 5mm tubing : $5 Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Hey all, so I had a look at my CO2 set-up and I gave the bottle a shake. A small amount of sugar water, very small, started to travel up the line to the top of the tent.

A few drops came out the ends of the lines. I was quite amazed at the speed at which it travelled... It was 2cm long in a 5mm tube and it reached the top in about 2 seconds. I'm 100% sure it is the CO2 that pushed it through the tubes as it continued to move after I put the milk carton down. If I squeezed it too much the liquid would have returned to the carton.

Obviously it was the CO2 that was being produced in the bottle that propelled it. I just can believe that so much was moving through the tubes. I thought it would take a minute to reach the top.

Anyway, I'm glad to know it is actually creating CO2 and at quite an astonishing rate ! I'm sure this will make a difference. Each end of the 5mm tubing is stuck against each of the main colas of the 4 plants, for extra benefit

Take Care all

S.L.

Good stuff, man.

I'm going to be doing something very similar once flowering starts.

I wonder if super yeast lasts longer than a week... Think I'll try and set-up a little bubbler in the lines, and see how long it stays productive.

I'm not sure if you saw this, but I found a lab study on yeast CO2 production. This Turbo Yeast is amazing stuff. It's the only one that does comparabley well in varying temps.

Yes, that's the only thing I'm missing now is the bubbler.

I had a look on eBay and saw one for just $5. I'll be getting that really soon.

It's important to keep oxygen out of the milk carton so the yeast can work at full potential.

I think the Turbo Yeast is the best from what I could see. I'll have a read of that report soon.

Take care

S.L.

Any updates on the Turbo Yeast SL? I like the idea and I'm on my first grow and thinking about doing this. Assuming I can even make it that far...Plants are looking a little frail at the moment.

There is no point in using a smaller amount of sugar than what the yeast directions call for. Divide the recipe up into smaller amounts, but keep the right ratio. Using less sugar just means that you are getting less results for the same amount of effort.