Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1625 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Total Beginner here, Looking for some info. I think it is Nute burn. You tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Veterror
    I agree it is not looking good. The wHite widow is not looking good, The afghan isn't either, but the blueberry seems to be taking off. So, After thinking about it, and hearing advice i would like to set a Veg room up, and keep a mother, the strongest of the blueberry. and clone from there for a good and successful batch. I did presoak the rockwool in pH adjusted water, i am aware they come naturally with hig pH Value. When you say you would use any additives as a beginner, do you mean just do it all naturally until it is in the bubbleflow Buckets then just use boost bloom and growth and dont bother with sugar daddy, b1 vitamins, magical, root 66 or any other additive? I always kept them damp when they were in the propagator, and only watered with pH balanced water every once in a while. From what i know, the Dry/Wet routine will help with root developement? I did not manually pull seed husks off, they fell off on their own. Used Sterile equipment when dealing with seeds. Tried doing everything by the book. Another question. When the roots are developing, one root comes straight to the bottom, but root developement went to a standstill for about a week. I did not see much more roots other than the one protruding from the bottom, and they got real long. couple inches at least. So I am told that I should wait for the second node before transplanting. Would that be the second set of "True Leaves"? would that be considered the second node? I hope to be able to start a successful veg and flowering room, and yes, I am finding that doing Hydro for the first time from seeds is VERY confusing.
    P.S. Any help on how to build my veg room would be appreciated. or links to some good threads for building veg room.
    There is a chance they might all bounce back in time. It depends if the tip is damaged/mutated or not. Manually removing the seed husk can cause that and is why I asked the question.
    I'd advise only growing one strain for your first time for a more likely success. Some strains might show signs of nutrient burn and others of under feeding. Some may stretch up really high and others stay short and squat. Getting the best from your lighting is then more difficult also.
    I mentioned not using additives on top of your part A and B grow or bloom because they could potentially cause problems you don't need on a first run. Dial it in first then experiment with the extras later.
    I've never used rock wool so I can't really help with how to best manage it during seedling stage. I do know that is a great medium when used correctly but can easily be water logged.
    That single long root is the tap root. It will tend to search downwards significantly by itself before it starts to branch out. Clone roots will branch out more quickly. Damage to the tap root in it's early stages is not good for the plant. That's why seedling trays/pots tend to be a lot taller than they are wide.
    Yes I'd wait for the 2nd set of true leaves to fill out before transplanting.. maybe even longer. Your roots should be busting out of the cube so they are ready to punch straight in to the hydroton. I use 100% perlite and don't risk transplant until the stem is fibrous and strong enough to handle.
    As I mentioned hydro from seed isn't simple for a beginner. After you do it a couple of times and get confident with what works it becomes easy. I prefer cloning because it's faster and there is less dicking around. Clones can take a fairly solid feed as soon as roots show up.

2.   Advertisements

Total Beginner here, Looking for some info. I think it is Nute burn. You tell me...

I am looking to grow big and tall. My Growroom has a max height of about 5ft.
    Unless you plan on adding higher wattage lighting I'd probably try and keep them on the shorter and stockier side, genetics withstanding. You will get better penetration that way. Check out this guys video for what I see as an ideal kind of size for multiple plants in a smaller area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpOI5h3Vqbg

I was told almost impossible to overwater rockwool.
    No that's not right. You can easily water log rockwool. Perlite and hydroton tend to only hold a suitable amount of water which is why I prefer both. I think you have to be careful of stem rot too if you're top feeding. The rockwool might be soaked yet the root zone within the hydroton is ok.

I am finding that "JOY" to be a pain in the butt, HAHA j/k Once i figure it out, I know I will enjoy every aspect of growing.
    It wouldn't be as much fun if you mastered everything on your first go You'll appreciate perfect health more if you've grown a less than perfect plant first.

Hey CFLHydro, I am Completely sorry, I know you were not trying to mock me or say hurtfull things. I got on today and I saw that they remove your post, and they said for me to refrain from saying stuff too. I will Message Burntoast and explain that it was a misunderstanding. Sorry CFLHydro, Thank you for the advice.
    No problems, it was an honest mistake. I thought I couldn't post at all because I tried to comment again and that post was removed almost straight away too. Seems ok now. I couldn't message him either so assumed it might have just been my restricted account or something. I'm not really worried about it any more. Maybe he'll see this at some stage and resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by CFLhydro
    There is a chance they might all bounce back in time. It depends if the tip is damaged/mutated or not. Manually removing the seed husk can cause that and is why I asked the question.
    I'd advise only growing one strain for your first time for a more likely success. Some strains might show signs of nutrient burn and others of under feeding. Some may stretch up really high and others stay short and squat. Getting the best from your lighting is then more difficult also.
    I mentioned not using additives on top of your part A and B grow or bloom because they could potentially cause problems you don't need on a first run. Dial it in first then experiment with the extras later.
    I've never used rock wool so I can't really help with how to best manage it during seedling stage. I do know that is a great medium when used correctly but can easily be water logged.
    That single long root is the tap root. It will tend to search downwards significantly by itself before it starts to branch out. Clone roots will branch out more quickly. Damage to the tap root in it's early stages is not good for the plant. That's why seedling trays/pots tend to be a lot taller than they are wide.
    Yes I'd wait for the 2nd set of true leaves to fill out before transplanting.. maybe even longer. Your roots should be busting out of the cube so they are ready to punch straight in to the hydroton. I use 100% perlite and don't risk transplant until the stem is fibrous and strong enough to handle.
    As I mentioned hydro from seed isn't simple for a beginner. After you do it a couple of times and get confident with what works it becomes easy. I prefer cloning because it's faster and there is less dicking around. Clones can take a fairly solid feed as soon as roots show up.
    Hey CFLHydro,
    This all was really good advice! I have spent many hours searching the interenet, reading the horticulture "Bible" and other ways, this is why I got on the boards. I know that by talking to other people who do the same as I would help me more than all those other methods put together. I also have to understand that this whole subject in general is not without "Red Tape Everywhere". So we will move on and tred lightly.

Good advice on pulling the seeds off being a bad idea, I seen them there, but also know mother nature has its own way of survival. Seedlings are built in with nutrients for the early stages of its life, so i was truying best not to interfere. I beleive a mixture or me being anxious to grow and certain home factors made me transplant too early. But an Update would be that I Six out of Eight are looking better. I lost one white widow, and one Afghan, so I am dealing with 3 strands, maybe a bad mistake by me. But I mostly focus on the Blueberry and White Widow. The blueberry seems full speed ahead, the WW is looking better on the top leaves and seems to be have nute burn on bottom leaves. But looking better which amazed me.. I thought i lost them. I am Switching out my water and nute mixture to a new fresh batch. I will go 1/5th strength rather than 1/4 strength. and i will leave out all the extra nutes until i figure out growing in general. I have started some seedlings all afghan, and i am moving them into the rockwool now, I want them to grow a good size before transplanting. Mean while i will continue trying to nurture the remaining six back to health. I will start them out in 1" rockwool and transfer them to 3" later down the road. This will probably ensure me good root developement before transplant. My first batch might not be the best, but your right, it will make me appreciate a good batch. It will also allow me to start cloning and getting into that. I have always been a fan of cloning, and I have the necessary equipment to do it now. But thats further down the line. Thank you for your advice CFLHydro, Its nice to talk to someone with experience rather than books. lol
    SuperPonics 4x4 Grow Room: (4x4 GrowLab Tent, 6 Superponics 5-gal Bubbleflow Hydroponics (DWC + Constant Flow), 600w HPS Air Cooled - 600w Lumatek Dimmable Ballast, Eco 185 Submersible WaterPump, EcoPlus 4\" Inline fan 160 CFM, EcoPlus Air Pump w/ 6 airStones) - Final stage of Veg/Flowering Chamber, Hydrofarm 125w 6500k CFL w/ Reflector (Clones/Seedlings/First Part Veg), Technaflora Recipe for success Nutes

Unless you plan on adding higher wattage lighting I'd probably try and keep them on the shorter and stockier side, genetics withstanding. You will get better penetration that way. Check out this guys video for what I see as an ideal kind of size for multiple plants in a smaller area. Eight weeks S.AG.E. grow in 4 minutes - YouTube
    I watched the Video and I really liked it. What was he growing in? Soil? Got Amazing bud production from them.

No that's not right. You can easily water log rockwool. Perlite and hydroton tend to only hold a suitable amount of water which is why I prefer both. I think you have to be careful of stem rot too if you're top feeding. The rockwool might be soaked yet the root zone within the hydroton is ok.
    I will pay close attention to them in the future.

It wouldn't be as much fun if you mastered everything on your first go You'll appreciate perfect health more if you've grown a less than perfect plant first.
    This statement is true as can be, but i am still anxious. Really enjoying this.

No problems, it was an honest mistake. I thought I couldn't post at all because I tried to comment again and that post was removed almost straight away too. Seems ok now. I couldn't message him either so assumed it might have just been my restricted account or something. I'm not really worried about it any more. Maybe he'll see this at some stage and resolve it.
    He seems to have deleted some of my posts also. Tread Lightly my friend.
    SuperPonics 4x4 Grow Room: (4x4 GrowLab Tent, 6 Superponics 5-gal Bubbleflow Hydroponics (DWC + Constant Flow), 600w HPS Air Cooled - 600w Lumatek Dimmable Ballast, Eco 185 Submersible WaterPump, EcoPlus 4\" Inline fan 160 CFM, EcoPlus Air Pump w/ 6 airStones) - Final stage of Veg/Flowering Chamber, Hydrofarm 125w 6500k CFL w/ Reflector (Clones/Seedlings/First Part Veg), Technaflora Recipe for success Nutes

I kinda Chuckled a little at your posts.

Honestly for a 1st time grow you need to get a setup to match your level of exp. One thing you will learn are there are tons of opinions and facts alike.

I personally use full strength ferts as soon as I see rooting. You be beter off in dwc to use half till you can read a plant.
    As far as your setup goes the plants are improperly planted- and let me give you some advice. A small plant doesn't need alot of water and it also needs to search water out to grow root. Those little clay balls called hydroton there hold 1/3rd their volume in water. So simple math 3cups of it hold 1 cup of water. Bury those little cubes, plz and quit drowning them.

Now lets take water. PH 6.3. hmm. No good. I think a ph of 5.6-5.8 would be better suited for those plants and dont stand on top of it. Adjusting it for .2 is unneeded.over a period of say an hour get it to the level then check it again in a day or 2. They don't want you correcting it every 5 mins. I also hope that is RO water. If so either use about 1/3rd tap to bring the ppm up to 100 ish. If you tap is horrible use ca/mg to 100ppm or so and then start mixing the fert in. You will also find a chiller works best in that system....

And as far as lighting go crazy just keep it well away from their young eyes.

I think i read you wanted to make a 2 room setup for increased cycle time. I would go with some simple setup for this and pack that room very tight. I use only a few t-5 and t-8
    [attachment=o285105]

Just keep it safe and simple.

Good luck!

Soil is forgiving for a new guy as yourself. As you learn about the plant and its needs you can then go nuts with faster moving setups.
    [align=center]Keep on Keepin on, it will all come together.[/align]

Bloomin Idiot,

I feel bad by calling you by your name LoL, Your no idiot. This is good Advice. I have grown in the past in dirt, a few crops. So I do have a little Experience with that. I Like the room setup you have going. What do you have on the walls as Reflective material? is it expensive? i am trying to save some money on the Veg room. I will go to my local hydroponics store and look for some t-5 and t-8 lighting. What do you mean by bury those little cubes? You mean dont use rockwool? Use only Hydroton?

I only Adjust my pH Every now and then, it seems to be set around 5.8 now and i dont want to mess with that. I check it daily and only correct it every now and then when it gets out of line. What type of setup would you reccomend for the Veg room? Hydroponics? Ebb and Flow? What type of setup should i use to start my plants and veg them to be switched into the Flowering room?

What do you mean a Chiller works best for that system?

The water is not RO.... Is this a Big Problem? I planned on getting a RO system, I have it on my list of stuff to get, But What is the point? Could you elaborate. My Drinking water in my house is right around 100 ppm, maybe a little more. I didn't feel Needed it right away. But if you say otherwise, i will look into it soon.

Thank you for your help, hope you can answer my questions.

Benjamin

[align=center]Keep on Keepin on, it will all come together.[/align]

This was a Very Helpful Video, This is Basically what i have on a bigger scale and with more goodies. A Chiller will be in my Future purchases. I started Pricing Components for a Veg Room. i am just going to start buying item after Item Until I have a good setup. The most helpful was the picture of your setup, It gives me a good picture in my head what i would like to do. Thank you Bloomin!

Could you explain to me more what I see in your picture? Which lights are t-5 Which are t-8? from the pictures point of view. Which is more powerful, Which do you recommend for what plant stage?

Here are some more current picks of my plants. I buried them like you said, they are rooting out good. I took some and ended up putting them in 3" Rockwool to let them root some more. Check out my pics. I am Flushing out my system today, and I will be putting nutes in. What strength nutes should i be running them on? I am using Technaflora Recipe for Success Kit, Been running them on 1/4 Strength nutes at about 500-600ppm. What Strength Nutes should I put in this time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast