Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1599 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Dolomite Lime question

I recently found that I can get dolomite lime here.

as I read about it, dolomite lime will stabilize pH at 7 and that there doesn't seem to be a way to put too much into soil. I'm growing in containers, so I suspect this latter pronouncement is not entirely correct. your comment?

what bothers me about this is multiple growers go on to suggest lowering the soil pH during the flowering stage. how can you do that if the dolomite returns the pH to 7 and cannot be flushed from the soil?

I'm entirely jealous of those who are attempting to raise their pH as I can't seem to get mine below 7, ever. (I can get magnesium sulfate-Epsom salts- but not aluminium sulfate.) so far, trying it on veggies I'm also growing, I haven't seen particularly favorable results from Epsom salts. neither have I had good results from straight sulfur, but in recent readings I find I may have been mixing it in too strongly.

if you read my previous post, I'm trying new soil (and awaiting your critique) of mushroom substrate, trichoderma fungus and chitosan, if this helps you respond.

dolomite lime or no?
    Farang Reviewed by Farang on . Dolomite Lime question I recently found that I can get dolomite lime here. as I read about it, dolomite lime will stabilize pH at 7 and that there doesn't seem to be a way to put too much into soil. I'm growing in containers, so I suspect this latter pronouncement is not entirely correct. your comment? what bothers me about this is multiple growers go on to suggest lowering the soil pH during the flowering stage. how can you do that if the dolomite returns the pH to 7 and cannot be flushed from the soil? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Dolomite Lime question

Until we know more about the soil you are using, there is no easy answer.
    Dolomite is usually employed to balance the acidity of peat, etc.

I use Sunshine aggregate and coco coir because they are, in effect, a blank slate.

I will say this;
    If you are trying to grow organic, PH adjustment is usually not needed.

Aloha,
    Weeze

Dolomite Lime question

I thought I was asking a generic question.

I'm in the process of switching to a soil blend of mushroom substrate, trichoderma fungus and chitosan. even after reading what I could find on line, I'm still unsure what those last two things are.

I posted another thread asking if this was OK to use straight or whether I should combine it with other potting soil.

BTW, I tried sifting in some peat to that soil as a test and it prevented the container from draining.

thanks for the reply, Weezard. you are the first person who's said the pH wasn't important. the majority of posts and videos I've seen/read seem to place great importance on it. 40-45 yrs ago when I first grew, I didn't know much about pH (still don't) and nobody seemed to care. I'd like to go back to not caring, but as I say the posts on line, Carlos' book and more place great emphasis on pH.

I'm trying to catch up and all help is gratefully accepted.

thanks, again.