Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1952 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Sunday Journal Article: Good thing or Bad Thing?

All,

Having read the article in the Sunday Albuquerque Journal about CG Corrigan and their miracle strain development I wondered what others thought about it. I can't quite figure what the incentive is for running this article - other than self promotion and a fair amount of self congratulatory bullshit. I have always been of the mind that as long as the Republicans are in power in Santa Fe we should be keeping the lowest profile possible and even if we have the best intentions any and all publicity is liable to cause more trouble than it could ever be worth.

So where do you all stand on this? Are positive articles about cannabis really positive or should we be staying out of the media all together?

The nefarious puppet master,

Reynold Greenleaf
    Reynold Greenleaf Reviewed by Reynold Greenleaf on . Sunday Journal Article: Good thing or Bad Thing? All, Having read the article in the Sunday Albuquerque Journal about CG Corrigan and their miracle strain development I wondered what others thought about it. I can't quite figure what the incentive is for running this article - other than self promotion and a fair amount of self congratulatory bullshit. I have always been of the mind that as long as the Republicans are in power in Santa Fe we should be keeping the lowest profile possible and even if we have the best intentions any and all Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Personally as a patient I believe that high CBD strains do help certain ailments. However, high THC also helps certain ailments. High CBN also helps certain ailments. I believe the perception that high levels of any one single cannabinoid is grounds to call it a 'miracle strain' is rather distorted. I personally believe that the combination and ratios of cannabinoids in a strain are integral to the overall experience. Isolating just one cannabinoid doesnt work very well, as evidenced by Marinol. As far as whether the article was good or bad, IMO when i saw the article initially i was not the happiest person. The program doesn't need front page advertising in the ABQ journal. I'm curious why the magazine Kurple didn't pick up a similar story? I'd be more inclined to believe the free medical cannabis publication over the ABQ journal. Just my 2 cents.

Also, as far as developing their strain...I'm interested to hear about the genetics of it, where it came from, etc. The reference to petri dishes does't ring any bells with me as far as breeding and genetics tracing practices that I know of? Another first is that Althouse will begin developing new CBD-rich strains using genetic manipulation â?? a practice that will allow the storing of the plant genetics like a sperm bank and growing new plants in a petri dish rather than relying on seed. I'm amazed that someone here from New Mexico developed a new procedure for creating cannabis genetics that world-famous breeders have yet to! Amazing! The funniest thing is...if you guys search my previous posts on seeds...nuff said.

after doing some research on my own...i would recommend all ppl who read this to google albuquerque journal bias accusations or something to that sort...theres alot of info out there. seems the ABQ journal is known for its bias reporting

Although many feel that "as long as the Republicans are in power in Santa Fe we should be keeping the lowest profile possible", the fact of the matter is that medical cannabis in NM breeds strange bedfellows. One of the biggest supporters of SB 240 was none other that "Red" Rod Adair, New Mexico's ultimate southern conservative Republican. Having personally addressed New Mexico's national legislative contingent many times regarding medical cannabis, I can't express my disappointment in NM Democrats enough. NOT ONE single Democrat serving in Washington on behalf of New Mexicans bothered to even send me a form letter by way of reply. The one response I received? None other than Representative Steve Pearce, the lone Republican in the bunch! As a life-long New Mexico Democrat I'm disappointed and angry with the Party. I've called NM Democratic HQ many times and have yet to receive a return call. When NM Party officials attended an event in my town recently, they wouldn't say more about NM medical cannabis other than to insist that they had to concentrate on re-election; implying that any mention of medical cannabis would cost them an election. It's a given that not all Republicans are friends of medical cannabis, but neither are all Democrats! To attempt drawing socio-political lines like that in NM tells me that one doesn't know NM very well.

As for media coverage in general, it must be "couched" positively. To be sure, some articles might do some damage. I don't see how this one did any at all. If anything the Journal article illustrated that there are some Producers in NM that are truly dedicated to legitimate research on behalf of patients. The article was not a research paper nor was it intended to be. It told the story in layman's terms so that the broadest range of people could grasp the enormity of CG Corrigan's endeavor on behalf of cannabis patients. Furthermore, the article helped to legitimize medical cannabis by downplaying and even removing euphoria from the medical discussion of this strain. Not everyone can or wants to experience euphoria when medicating. A low or no THC strain will be yet another cannabis treatment option. A low or no THC strain will add an entirely new level of legitimacy to cannabis therapy. A low or no THC strain will give patients other options to better manage their lives. Why would ANYONE that is pro cannabis therapy be against this concept?!?

Regarding the comment "I can't quite figure what the incentive is for running this article - other than self promotion and a fair amount of self congratulatory bullshit."

Maybe it had to do with journalism or that newspapers write about stuff that is news or something crazy like that. If the article came off as self promoting and congratulatory to you, I suggest you read it again without bongin' up the "sour grape" first! Anyone in the NM medical cannabis community that doesn't support any and all possible cannabis therapies is short-sighted. Any opportunity to further legitimize medical cannabis is one EVERYONE in the NM cannabis community should get behind 100%!!

Besides, this could actually help some patients! Isn't that what everyone's goal should be?