Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1397 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Mini Fridge to keep COOL!!

Ha ha haaaa, I just got a mini fridge from a buddy. I don't really have any need for it. I could sell it. But me being the creative mind that I am. I was wondering what your opinions are?

I was thinking of cutting a couple 4" holes in the front of the fridge door and using it as a way to draw COLD air into my tent. I currently have a small window A/C that I use to cool the room my fresh air is being drawn from.. My current temp is steady around 86 day and 68 night.. The idea would save me the issue of buying a portable A/C unit
    ThePinkJina Reviewed by ThePinkJina on . Mini Fridge to keep COOL!! Ha ha haaaa, I just got a mini fridge from a buddy. I don't really have any need for it. I could sell it. But me being the creative mind that I am. I was wondering what your opinions are? I was thinking of cutting a couple 4" holes in the front of the fridge door and using it as a way to draw COLD air into my tent. I currently have a small window A/C that I use to cool the room my fresh air is being drawn from.. My current temp is steady around 86 day:( and 68 night.. The idea would save me Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I don't know, bud. I'm not exactly a HVAC expert by any means.(Yotta see the lame excuse I have for a ventilation system in my grow room).
    I think you'd just end up warming the inside of the little REEFER (Pun intended)and it just settin' ya back a buncha bucks in electricity for not much(if any)help from the heat.
    Ejole..Took me about 10 minutes to get that out.:stoned:

About the best you can do is make it into a chiller for a hydro rez or like radiant floor cooling. A coil of pipe in the fridge and a pump to circulate the water. A rez cooler. Or like run the pipe all around the floor to keep it cool.

I would sell it and get a portable A/C. They cost but you have a good temp swing that will cause you problems that are hard to nail down. A good piece of equipment that does the job with out worry is worth the money any day.

Took me along time to get that. Now I have to save a long time sometimes but it's worth it in the long run. There's nothing like a good plan coming together.

If it's one of those electronic (no compressor) ones you can take it apart to get the psu and peltier junction, and then bond the cold side of the peltier onto a forced convection heatink which has the inlet air blown through it. This will precipitate moisture, which has to have a path to drain away. The other side of the peltier will get very hot, so you'll need another ducted heatsink arrangement to draw that heat away and exhaust it elsewhere (or it burns out) .

What is the wattage of the fridge? It probably won't cool a very large volume of air, but based on the wattage and the temperature drop you want, the flow rate can be calculated. Or given the total volume of the box you're cooling, and how well insulated it is, it would be possible to roughly work out whether a given peltier would achieve a given degree of cooling.

Bear in mind the guts of the fridge are only designed to chill a small and very insulated volume.

You might get a few degrees in a moderate sized cabinet, I'd guess.