Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1506 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Unusual behavior of plant after transplant, happy AND sad???? wtf

I was doing some transplanting last night and one of my plants exhibited some real strange behavior about 20 minutes after transplanting took place. I am using a new type of soil, fox farm's Happy Frog organic mix, and the other 4 plants I transplanted last night didn't do anything unusual after the transplant, they all look happy and healthy in their new containers/soil. Basically the fan leaves on this particular plant started to point straight up, and I dont mean the tips I mean the entire leaf. Typically you'd think that is a great sign and the happy little girl is just reaching up for more light so she can fill up her new container with healthy growth, but the leaves were pointed up much further than I've ever seen a typical happy plant reach before. Also I was a little late transplanting and meant to do it a day or two earlier but didn't have time, so the soil got a little bit too dry during that time I believe, and the bottom most leaf set had started to yellow on me. After the transplant I figured that the leaves were still green enough that they'd bounce back and be a nice green color again within a day, but the transplant seems to have increased the rate of yellowing on that leaf set, and even a little bit of black/browning happening on the edges. Also the next set of fan leaves started to turn a faint shade of yellow and in general all the fan leaves looked a little sickly. However the new side shoot growth is still nice and dark green, very bushy and very healthy looking. Today the fan leaves have settled back down to a normal position, but the yellowing doesn't seem to have changed at all for better or worse. FYI the soil PH is 6.6-6.7, and used pure water during the transplanting so no extra nutes have been added yet.

I am including a couple pictures of this behavior and hopefully someone will be able to tell me that it is in fact happy/healthy reaching, and not that my plant is stretching upwards in an attempt to leap out of its new pot haha.

Attachment 282601Attachment 282600Attachment 282602Attachment 282603
    Minnesnowta Reviewed by Minnesnowta on . Unusual behavior of plant after transplant, happy AND sad???? wtf I was doing some transplanting last night and one of my plants exhibited some real strange behavior about 20 minutes after transplanting took place. I am using a new type of soil, fox farm's Happy Frog organic mix, and the other 4 plants I transplanted last night didn't do anything unusual after the transplant, they all look happy and healthy in their new containers/soil. Basically the fan leaves on this particular plant started to point straight up, and I dont mean the tips I mean the entire Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Well she lost a couple fan leaves but other than that appears to be healthy today. I just can't think of what could have possibly caused that sort of reaction. Good or bad it just seems excessive, and I've never seen plants react to things in such a drastic and fast manner. Also in comparison to others of the same seed variety that I've started to grow, shes grown up quite a bit bigger/faster.

That's really weird, the same thing happened to me. I transplanted like 4 days ago, and the older leaves are turning yellow, and there's some gray/brown showing up on the leaves. I decided to use fragrance/dye free dryer sheets to get rid of the fungus gnats, because I thought that might be what caused it. Then after looking online, I read that it could be a Potassium problem...and I watered with some ferts. Hopefully this will help my plant...if it does I'll let you know and see if the same could be done with your plant..but if things are looking up I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe it's just transplant shock. Ah well, good luck!

For what its worth I've seen a similar reaction in some clones of a friend. They'd been transported in rather unfortunate conditions, left in a dark box in a car while its freezing. The majority of them, once brought inside, warmed up and put under lights, raised their leaves straight up and they stayed that way for a good couple of days. Not the same circumstances as yours but perhaps a similar reaction to stress ie the transplant. Could her roots have got damaged at all during re-potting? Strange that its just the one plant.

I don't think her roots could have gotten damaged during the transplant, in fact I believe she was the easiest one of them all to get smoothly from the pot. The only thing I could think of is that I let her try out too long before transplanting, since I intended to do it a day or so earlier, and then going to new moist soil after being that dry shocked her. Different type of soil and what not, also could have been a difference in temperature, I always make sure everything I use is at grow room temp before I use it, but dry when the soil is dry the whole way through I'm guessing it could be a different temp than moist soil. Who knows, she seems healthy again today, shes growing just fine, however her 3rd set of fan leaves is still a little bit yellowish and hasn't recovered at all. Hasn't gotten any worse either. I suppose as long as new growth is coming and all that looks healthy I'm ok with it. It just scared me because that plant is covered in trichomes already and its only halfway through veg! never seen that before. I posted other pictures of that in another post in "Basic Growing"