Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1695 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Growing in the southwest

Just wanted to start a thread to get helpful info on growing in the southwest. The first major thing I would recommend is adding a humidifier to the drying area and trying to maintain the humidity around 40%. One of the biggest things going against us is the low humidity. Flowers dried with little relative humidity get crispy and are usually harsh. With low humidity, usually below 20% flowers can dry as quick as a few days. The best thing to do is try to slow that dry time down to about a week. Using a small humidifier and a fan work great to help out.

Also the biggest two pests we have out here seem to be thrips and spider mites. I know it seems too good to be true, but regular sprays with a 2% rosemary oil spray, up until flowers appear, can eliminate mites and eggs. There is a product called sns 217 from sierra natural science that works wonders on all life stages. It can also be made at home for cheap ( $4 to $6 a gallon). I have used rosemary oil preventatively for mites and have not had a problem at all. The rosemary oil does nothing at all to the leaves and does not stress, clog pores, or leave a foul taste like neem can. Just don't spray with the lights on and don't spray the flowers. This is purely organic, and does not harm the end user or the one spraying the plants, plus it smells great. I have not seen a single thrip, brown spot, or any sign of a bug since I started using the rosemary. Sierra Natural Science also sells a thrip spray with the active ingredient being clove oil at at 1.5%. I have started mixing my own rosemary spray and plan to add clove oil to the mix after testing it on a few leaves.

Hope to see some good tips for growing in our region.

nmkush
    nmkush Reviewed by nmkush on . Growing in the southwest Just wanted to start a thread to get helpful info on growing in the southwest. The first major thing I would recommend is adding a humidifier to the drying area and trying to maintain the humidity around 40%. One of the biggest things going against us is the low humidity. Flowers dried with little relative humidity get crispy and are usually harsh. With low humidity, usually below 20% flowers can dry as quick as a few days. The best thing to do is try to slow that dry time down to about a week. Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Growing in the southwest

Awesome tips for the high desert nmkush!

I run humidifiers in veg and flower to avoid VPD issues

I always have dehumidifiers and humidifiers in the drying room to keep the humidity perfect.......

The low humidity here can cause alot of problems if left unchecked.

Growing in the southwest

I run my room sealed to keep the moisture in, usually keeping it low enough is an issue. It does allow me to maintain a proper vpd with temps in the mid to high 70s and an RH in the 60s for veg. It's during flower that it can be a challange keeping below 60%. Dropping the temps into the lower 70s during flowering helps as my AC runs more.

Now on the cure side, I have definately had issues. What type of humidifier do you use?

Growing in the southwest

For drying I use a portable clothes closet from Target. I hang the branches from hangers on the top. The bottom has a small humidifier and an oscillating fan pointing at the humidifier on low. The best humidifier to use are the old school type. The newer ultrasonic ones actually put a visible mist in the air that can make things too moist. I keep a hygrometer in the drying closet to make sure the temp and humidity are where they should be. With temps in the mid 70's and humidity around 40% it takes about 7 to 8 days to dry. I trim all the large leaves and dry them with the small leaves still on the flowers. Leaving the small leaves on helps extend the drying time a little bit. Everything is dry when there is a nice bend and snap to the buds. After removing everything from the closet, I trim and put in locking glass jars. Only fill the jar about 75% full and burp daily. Slowly reduce the burp time and frequency until you only need to burp once a week or so. You can smoke it at any time after its dry, but the taste, high, and burn will definitely improve with curing.

If things get too dry once in the jars you can add a sugar or fan leaf, close the lid for an hour or so and it should re-hydrate the buds.
    nmkush

Growing in the southwest

Also, they can be hard to find but a dehumidifier can help a lot in the summer time, especially during flowering and/or if you use a swamp cooler to cool the room.
    nmkush

Growing in the southwest

Great info NMKush! Having seen many grows in my lifetime, I agree that humidity is very very important. Especially here in the SW. Glad to see this thread, keep it up.

Growing in the southwest

On my first grow now and definately had issues but thanks to forums like this one I'm finishing strong. I manage temps of 79-81 with lights on 53% rh, 80-82 off 43-50% rh. Ventilation is everything, thought I'd yield more but my GDP has few good big buds. Sage looks fantastic, hogs breath is HUGE! It stretched to about 4 feet, in my tent! So anxious to learn more, really anxious for my next grow!

Growing in the southwest

How do you start from knowing nothing about growing to where you guys are at?

Growing in the southwest

Quote Originally Posted by stillnawe
    How do you start from knowing nothing about growing to where you guys are at?
    There are so many online resources available to you. The Medical Marijuana Grow Bible by Jorge Cervantes is a great place to start. You can order it on Amazon. You can also find a lot of free information on YouTube.

Good luck and welcome to growing your own and the legal programs.

Growing in the southwest

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyjrod
    On my first grow now and definately had issues but thanks to forums like this one I'm finishing strong. I manage temps of 79-81 with lights on 53% rh, 80-82 off 43-50% rh. Ventilation is everything, thought I'd yield more but my GDP has few good big buds. Sage looks fantastic, hogs breath is HUGE! It stretched to about 4 feet, in my tent! So anxious to learn more, really anxious for my next grow!
    Glad to see this guy banned. Those strains he received were clones purchased from Mother Earth ... the same LNP he criticized. I am surprised he didn't criticize the price he paid for the clones.

Wishing everyone good luck with their personal grows. The more of us that grow for ourselves, the more medicine will be available for the patients that cannot grow their own.

"Kindness and compassion are key to a happy life."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast