Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1627 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

9 dollar carbon scrubber.

I'm using 3 cpu fans the filter is on my most powerful one. It works it just really slows the fan down. The layer of carbon is just too big, It takes away the smell but not totally. I think when make this new version and wet it it'll work way better.

2.   Advertisements

it doesn't have to be wet when you use it just when you want to activate it

Interesting, how exactly are you mounting this filter to your fans and then into your ducting system? I got a small room I wouldn't mind trying this out in. It would be cool to see some pictures of how you actually use it.

What up Snowta.. killfrenzi was banned..? And it looks like he had a crop comin down in a few days, you seemed pretty interested. I hope his ban is lifted in time for pics. He had some amazing lookin plants!

Well aside from all that and back to the subject, I made a home-made carbon filter thru the DIY section here. It was pretty simple and it actually works well. Ill hafta go take a pic and post it. I used Kitty Litter Crystals from walmart, I think they cost around $15 for a 7lb bag. It works exactly like activated carbon, you just get more for your money, and its not as messy.
    Attachment 283453 Attachment 283454

Hey jigg..? I was wondering the diameter of that tub. it looks almost big enough to fit directly inside a section of 6" or 8" ducting?

I don't know the diameter but it does fit perfectly inside a dryer duct hose. That's the hose I bought, I got it from walmart. I will modify this thing the nest go around to make it more like a cigarette filter, without all those holes on the side and half the carbon. I'll check out yours though too. I just only had quick access to walmart back then and they don't have all those fittings and chicken wire .

Interesting idea with the kitty litter Jina, never thought of that before haha. I'm going to try to soak in as much info as I can about home made carbon filters and then put one together and put it to the test. I'm going to make an effort to spend as little as possible on it, and then hopefully be able to compare it to a store bought carbon filter for the fun of it. As for killfrenzi, yeah he did get banned apparently, I have no idea why, and I guess it might not be a specific incident, but more an accumulation of "strikes" against him that lead to a ban. But yes, that would be great if he was unbanned in time to see his harvest, I always appreciate fast responses and active forum members and their comments/debates with me, so it was sad to see someone go that I can count on to respond to my questions/pictures/suggestions and so on. However, some things just aren't meant to be known, and even if I did know what happened, it probably wouldn't change a thing.. and life goes on haha.

You should definitely post some more details about your carbon filter experience and how you put yours together. I wanna see all kinds before I get started.

Haha.. They'll never keep me (killfrenzi) down. Ill post the harvest pics soon. I just chopped the ladies down yesterday. Took clones yesterday and moved the 6 smaller ones to flower. They are 30" tall and I expect em to get around 5' 5" before harvest. I guess it was a few different posts that took me out. I guess I cant post links to other websites. Thats ok, I learned. Just wanted people to know what I knew... lol.

As for the carbon filter, you'll need: Chicken Wire - 1/4" Holes, A pair of durable pantyhose, 1 x 8" to 6" reducer, 1 x 8" end cap, and 1 x 6" end cap, zip or twist ties. And a roll of duct tape. Oh, and of course some activated carbon or kitty litter crystals.

Form the chicken wire around the 6" end cap, tie together then tape the wire to the cap, slide the pantyhose over the filter leaving it open on top. Next, take the 8" end cap, pantyhose, and chicken wire and do the same thing, cut off about 2" of wire so the 6 is just slightly taller than the 8, after you have the 8" made, place the smaller one inside the 8"er. Once you have the smaller one inside the larger one, add the carbon/crystals around the outside of the 6"er, so the carbon is between the 6 and 8. It should start lookin like a filter by now! Almost done... now, place the reducer over the 2 open ends and the 6" wire should meet up with the 6" opening of the reducer, tape the reducer to the opening and there you have it! You'll want at the very least, 270 CFM to use this filter. The best thing about this filter is: Its reusable, unlike other carbon scrubbers. Just remove the duct tape from the reducer cap, empty the carbon\crystals, and replace with new. Put the cap back on, re-tape and start scrubbin.. lol. Lemme know if you need more info.

I sent you an email to your hotmail account I believe, the one in your profile, you should reply back to me, or let me know if you didn't get an email from me and I will try sending one again.

Got it! Ill get em posted!!!

Refering to post #17 I swear there used to be a step by step DYI of making that filter on this site several years ago, Im not sure what the guidelines are for thread life, and It has been several years for me but i would like to have those DIY instructions if someone happens to have them floating around. thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast