Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1584 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

My Experience with Rick Simpson Oil

1 what are the strains work best for cancer, I heard anything over 20% of THC will work

2 are they're any other plant i can practice this method of extracting the oil, i am new at this

Quote Originally Posted by yujiro1982
    1 what are the strains work best for cancer, I heard anything over 20% of THC will work

2 are they're any other plant i can practice this method of extracting the oil, i am new at this
    Great Questions!

Question #1 - It is unknown at this time as to what strains are best for cancer. It is not all about THC. There are 85 different cannabinoids in marijuana. We know THC shrinks tumors, manages pain, and has other benefits and it is strongly believed that the other cannabinoids have medicinal values and also have different effects.
    I recommend using at minimum three different strains to make the oil and at least half indica dominant. I believe a good strain would be LA Confidential, it is a triple back crossed indica. Mixing multiple strains will ensure that you are getting a wide variety of different levels of cannabinoids. I do not recommend using plant parts other than the buds. For instance, I would not use leaves, stems, shake, or roots for medicinal use at all. High quality, well manicured buds is the best to use when making the oil.
    This is a link to the Rick Simpson video "Run From The Cure". I strongly recommend watching this video before attempting to make the oil. In the video Rick mentions washing or soaking the bud material and straining two times. I usually do three washes. Also, in the video they show using outdoor grown marijuana. It does not look to be well manicured. I have only used indoor grown, well manicured buds. I believe the oil I am making is far more potent. For example: My cancer patients have not been able to consume the dosage amounts as recommended in the video. I believe it is because my oil is much stronger due to being grown indoors and having had high quality manicuring. RUN FROM THE CURE - Full Version - YouTube I believe that when using indoor grown well manicured premium buds of strains that are 20% or higher THC your oil will come out twice as strong if not more than Simpson's if not more. If a regular heavy smoker (cannabis) took a dose of the oil the size of a small pea for the first time, they would be "tripping" for at least 24 hours. When Rick says in his video to start with a very small amount, he is not kidding!

Question #2 - I really do not know myself of other plants that can be used with this method of extracting oil.

I would recommend watching the video and being fully prepared. Sacrifice a 1/4 pound of premium bud and make some oil. You will not regret it. It is a miracle oil. Far more potent than any joint you have ever smoked in my opinion. I am a believer about the oil's medicinal qualities.

Thank you for your interest and good luck to you. I believe that you will not regret making the oil, just be safe!

3.   Advertisements

:thumbsup:Sticky here! Lets hope!:rasta: pr

Hey GG,

The video mentions a number of different base solvents for extracting. I know that some use isopropyl but I've also read that isopropyl leaves trace elements of known carcinogens. Can you comment on different solvents that can be used with pros vs. cons?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsby
    Hey GG,

The video mentions a number of different base solvents for extracting. I know that some use isopropyl but I've also read that isopropyl leaves trace elements of known carcinogens. Can you comment on different solvents that can be used with pros vs. cons?
    Someone said in another forum acetone is another alternative, but i want to know how much solvent you need to use per pd

i would love to try some of that oil.....the problem is i cant get it and i dont have 1/2 lb of premiumn bud......thats cool that is very beneficial to people....

Quote Originally Posted by bigsby
    Hey GG,

I am no expert when it comes to the solvents. I made my decision on what solvent to use just on basic common sense. I felt that the 99% isoporpyl was by far the safest solvent. It is used in hospitals to swab your skin before getting a shot. It is considered safe for sterilization (even for cleaning your bong or pipe). I haven't heard of anyone concerned with the 99% isopropyl being toxic for sterilization. I purchased my 99% isopropyl alcohol at my local Meijer, I had to ask for it at the pharmacy because it was not on the shelf.

Pros & cons, in my opinion, 99% Isopropyl on the down side extracts some chlorophyll, but on the good side in my opinion is much safer. Naphtha on the down side, well it is used as an engine degreaser, in my opinion, it is more dangerous than 99% isopropyl on the good side for naphtha, it might not extract the chlorophyll but I am not for certain on that.

The chlorophyll leaves a bad taste when ingesting, smoking or vaping, and makes the oil dark, and if you ingest too much chlorophyll, you can get chlorophyll poisoning (diarrhea, vomiting, etc.). You are not going to get chlorophyll poisoning if you use quality buds and make the oil properly in my opinion. What is more concerning is the product you use. For example, say you use 4 pounds of leaves and stems, and you have to consume a much larger amount of oil because it is not that potent, then you are consuming large amounts of chlorophyll. When the oil is made right, it is very safe when it comes to the chlorophyll or using 99% isopropyl. What is really more important is how the buds were grown. Were chemical fertilizers or pesticides used? This is far more important because no matter what solvent is used those chemicals could also be extracted and end up in the finished product. That is why I grow only 100% organic in soil and I do not use any pesticides. I always recommend to anybody and everybody to make the oil yourself, because that is the only way you will really know what you are getting. I hear all the time of oil being at the dispensaries and such. So much of that is fake, low grade, diluted, infused with other oils, etc. In my opinion, those oils are not of full medicinal quality. When it comes to cancer and such, having the real high quality clean oil is most important.

With using the 99% isopropyl, there are ways of reducing the amount of chlorophyll extracted. One example is, if your buds were dry and frozen and the 99% isopropyl was also kept in the freezer, you can do two quick 5 minute washes. From what I understand, since the bud and 99% isopropyl are at below freezing temperatures the THC is more easily removed and the chlorophyll is more difficult to remove and the oil should come out a more golden color.

I have seen many debates about which solvent is best. If you drink too much water you can die from water poisoning. It is not so much which solvent, it is all about the product (the cannabis) and being certain to evaporate out the remaining solvent (as shown in the video finishing off on the coffee cup warmer) it is important to bubble out the remaining solvent with a coffee cup warmer, it can take up to 12 hours.

When using any other solvents that may have a small percentage of water, it can extract a percentage of the red oil out of cannabis. The red oil is water soluble and I have not heard any studies being done with the red oil. So I am not sure of its qualities good or bad. I do know that the 99% isopropyl does not extract it.

This picture is of red oil that I extracted after initially washing with the 99% isopropyl. After the remaining cannabis dried I then soaked it in water, filtered, and cooked down to extract the red oil, just out of curiosity. One example of the red oil is that the aroma of the cannabis was in the red oil. I think some studies need to be done on the red oil to see if there are any medicinal values in it. The red oil in the pictures have no THC. I made it for experimental reasons and I discarded it because I do not know if it contained medicinal qualities. I am considering in the future to have a sample tested.
    Attachment 280898----------Attachment 280897

Here are some pictures of my cannabis soaking in the 99% isopropyl. I chose to do it in quart canning jars so I could shake it up real good and also see what is going on.
    Attachment 280899----------Attachment 280900

I have a patient that has been ingesting and vaporizing the oil at least three times a day for approximately nine months now and I have had no complaints from him yet. Only complements and positive feedback.

Something else I do to reduce waste. When I get as much of the oil into the syringes as possible. To clean up the waste, I add a little bit of 99% isopropyl alcohol to thin it back out so I can coat some rolling papers with the oil using the back of a spoon. I put the coated papers onto some wax paper and let it sit out and dry (evaporate the iso) for a day or two. I will put one to three coats of the thinned oil on each paper taking care not to get any on the glue. Doing this will give a joint a little extra kick.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachment 280902----------Attachment 280901

Quote Originally Posted by kayakush
    i would love to try some of that oil.....the problem is i cant get it and i dont have 1/2 lb of premiumn bud......thats cool that is very beneficial to people....
    My first time making the oil I only used about 1/4 pound of bud. Here is a pic of that 1/4 pound which is four different strains.

Attachment 280903

You do not have to use a whole 1/4 pound. The problem is that you get the same amount of waste (oil stuck to the sides of the pan, can't get into syringe, etc.) off of two ounces or two pounds. You can try to do it with only one ounce, it is just that it will be more difficult to get into a syringe, but it is a great way to try sampling it to see if it is what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by yujiro1982
    Someone said in another forum acetone is another alternative, but i want to know how much solvent you need to use per pd
    I would not recommend using acetone, but I am not an expert so I really don't know.

Here is just a rough guess of how much solvent. For one pound of cannabis, I would estimate that it would take (12) 16 ounce bottles of 99% isopropyl alcohol. The amount needed varies. It would primarily depend upon how many times you plan to wash the material. The density of the buds is also a factor. Each time I have made the oil the amount of solvent needed has been slightly different. Even when I use the same strains and the same amount of bud, the quality and amount of the oil seems to vary up to 20%. It is a little unpredictable. I would try to make sure there is some extra on hand just in case.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast