Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1646 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Genes and Memes and things

Can memes affect genes? Does anyone know about this stuff?
    colour Reviewed by colour on . Genes and Memes and things Can memes affect genes? Does anyone know about this stuff? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Memes (disambiguation): Behavior is an evolving science, as well as, gene research.

There is IMHO a gene that makes us adapt the behavior of the people we are surrounded by the most as children. When we mature, we evolve, identify it and decide if it is the "real me" or not. Or continue 'as one of the crowd and follow others continuuing our childhood subconscious input data on behavior. At that point, we can address this and 'learn' more acceptable behavior (most behavior is learned). Many people are unable to. That is where, I believe, the genes come into play with your genetic 'personality.'

There is an old book called, "The Selfish Gene" by a guy called, Dawkins (I think). There is always on-going research and when it comes to the mind and body you often need to read your best resources and adapt your own 'belief system.'

If I have bad behavior, I would like to blame my parents. But, the truth is: I have choosen to behave so badly and need to 'own it', apologize for it and "Change My Behavior."
    Those who refuse to do so-choose it.
    Those who know the difference and do nothing are creeps.
    Those who cannot see it are often too self-centered.
    Those who do not have the mental ability to recognize or see their own behavior, I believe-need psychological
    help in adjusting to life and others. And for them we have diagnosis and medication.

The best medicine for being an asshole is mmj!!! World would be a happier place!

Excellent thought from you. How is it you came about this?

I would answer your question in one simple sentence. I believe it is the opposite: Genes may affect your memes!

IMHO! ie: you are born with a 'mimic gene' a normal part of infancy. Keeping it past the ability to 'reason' on your own: A choice or lack of self observation! PR

Have a great day and thanks for the interesting food for thought! PR

I've read Selfish Gene (though its been a while) and I'm a big fan of Dawkins. If genes are bits of data that make up DNA then memes are bits of data that make up consciousness. Its hard to deny that your genes will in a very large degree make up one's personality. Im wondering if the process is reversible: Can ideas influence genetic evolution? For example: If a great wave of
    compassion swept across America would there emerge a dominant altruistic gene in the gene pool?