Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1570 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

CUSTOM CO2 HOME MADE AND CHEAP!!!!

Thanks for the post guys. Good stuff!

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ooKaotikzoo
    OK so this is my first post i haven't seen a section on this in this site but if i have missed it then please forgive me. So we have a grow room and we all know that the one thing our plants love is CO2 although introducing CO2 has always been an expensive upgrade for the grow room... what if there was an easy and cost effective way of providing your crop with the CO2 it loves?? Well there is!!!! yes that's right and all you need is:

2lt plastic bottle and lid
    water
    sugar
    and dry activated yeast (unactivated yeast also works you just need warm water to activate it)

First off take your 2lt plastic bottle remove the lid and drill a small hole through the center big enough to fit a small air pipe into. then put about 10 table spoons of sugar into your bottle along with one table spoon of dry yeast then fill the bottle about three quarters full screw on the lid and give the mixture a good shake (remember to cover the hole you drilled in the bottle lid you don't want to make a mess) All you are doing is brewing alcohol in the bottle as it ferments it releases CO2 this process lasts for roughly two weeks after that replace the mixture following the same process you used before.

Once this is done it takes about an hour for things to happen place the bottle in your grow room and attach a air pipe in the hole you drilled in the bottle lid and place the tube end in the center of the plant. Use one bottle and air line per plant and watch the results i was amazed :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Did this last night. (thanks for the info. btw) Even I over night I noticed a difference. My question is how big did you make the pipe? I just drilled a hole in a all the caps and elevated the containers a little
    And I sware it raised the humidity in my tent a little too as I have been struggling to keep it even or 40% and it was at 50 this morning

The cheapest CO2 is simple... fresh air from outside... Baking soda and strong vinegar works pretty good too, and is cheap... Sugar is pretty expensive for the amount of co2 you get. You also get alcohol evaporating into the air, which isn't good for the plants.

Cheapest co2 would be to burn something that produces a clean burn, like propane. But only do that if you have sufficient cooling. You only need a small amount of co2, so keep it small.

When the plant stores energy, it needs co2. But when the plant uses energy, it needs oxygen. So don't produce so much co2 that you starve the plant of o2.

But that gets you back to fresh air is the best thing.

I use 1gal milk jugs with a small hole poked through the lid. fill 3/4 full with luke warm water add 2 cups sugar shake till disolve, add 2 tbsp yeast. shake. put in grow room shake once a day. I use 2 1 gal jugs for 6 plants..

There used to be a growfaq on this. Nic eof you to share.

1. Make sure you don't over do it, because you can burn your plants with too high a concentration of co2.
    2. You want humidity at 40%, and no more than 505 in flower. n Higher in Veg.
    3. Do not try to use a burnable gas. Although we use co2 generators/heaters in a commercial greenhouse; I really do not think this is a good idea for a grow room unless you have a very big room or greenhouse setup.

Quote Originally Posted by yedmundi
    The cheapest CO2 is simple... fresh air from outside... Baking soda and strong vinegar works pretty good too, and is cheap... Sugar is pretty expensive for the amount of co2 you get. You also get alcohol evaporating into the air, which isn't good for the plants.

Cheapest co2 would be to burn something that produces a clean burn, like propane. But only do that if you have sufficient cooling. You only need a small amount of co2, so keep it small.

When the plant stores energy, it needs co2. But when the plant uses energy, it needs oxygen. So don't produce so much co2 that you starve the plant of o2.

But that gets you back to fresh air is the best thing.
    The cost ratio of sugar to produce Co2 is actually the cheapest, and your assumption that alcohol "evaporates into the air" is wrong. When yeast eats sugar is makes a molecule of co2, and a molecule of alcohol. Co2 is heavier than air so when it is released it creates a layer on top of the wash that blocks any alcohol from evaporating. Alcohol only starts to evaporate when the fermentation is complete, but even so it wouldn't be anywhere close to enough to harm plants. It would just be the equivalent of having an open jar of wine in the grow area.
    Fresh air is great, but we are talking about the benefits of raising co2 concentrations for a grow. I don't think there is any question about it's effectiveness, just look around these forums you will always find positive results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12