Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1791 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydetectors09
    Among all the detecting activities, gold detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both our mind and body, but also give us a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time when you feel bored, you can pick up a gold metal detector and have a try.
    thats the silliest spam ive seen yet

Old Wives Tales

Ironically.
    It's in the right thread.

Weeze
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

Old Wives Tales

:thumbsup:Ironically,

I need away to detect gold

Old Wives Tales

Plant your seed pointed end down

I see this OWT all the time. Some seed banks advise this, some pot guru named Jorge says to do this and I say hogwash. Anybody that's watched seed sprout in a paper towel knows it uncoils as it grows. The fact of the matter is pointed end up is the most efficient way to sow a seed. Any seed. Fact

There was a post earlier, page 1 maybe, it said something about urine as a source of nitrogen. I was unclear if the poster was for or against the use of urine as a nitrogen booster. I can say I have used it before to no ill effect and can state that Ed Rosenthall endorses the use of urine at a mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part urine. Any thoughts on this OWT guys?

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by built2spill
    Plant your seed pointed end down

I see this OWT all the time. Some seed banks advise this, some pot guru named Jorge says to do this and I say hogwash. Anybody that's watched seed sprout in a paper towel knows it uncoils as it grows. The fact of the matter is pointed end up is the most efficient way to sow a seed. Any seed. Fact

There was a post earlier, page 1 maybe, it said something about urine as a source of nitrogen. I was unclear if the poster was for or against the use of urine as a nitrogen booster. I can say I have used it before to no ill effect and can state that Ed Rosenthall endorses the use of urine at a mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part urine. Any thoughts on this OWT guys?
    A friend used urine in his greenhouse and you could smell it big time but his plants didn't seem to mind.

Old Wives Tales

I have only used it on my outdoor stuff. No issues with scent, to me anyway, might even help with animals. There is another OWT to touch on.

Do scents actually prevent animals from eating your plants?

I have heard it all, soap, perfume, fabric sheets, moth balls, dog hair, human hair, varied urine and or scat the list goes on. Does any of this actually work.

I have used the following in an effort to keep animals away. Moth balls, soap ( bar soap cut into chunks ), perfume and bring my dog along frequently. The results have been mixed. I have not lost any plants to animals in a few years. Had an issue with some beaver a few years back. They chopped down 6 plants of about 5' and I have been unable to use that spot again. BUT I have not stopped the animals from coming near my plants. Deer prints in the soft soil around my plants are quite common. Just the other day there was a fresh deer pile o pellets a step away from one of my plants.

So the scents I've used don't keep the deer or beaver away.

Old Wives Tales

Good point!
    Animals learn.
    Deer are good learners.
    The smell of urine carries for quite a distance, and has an "best if sniffed by" date.
    If every time they smell stale human urine, they find a tasty, seedling or three. . . .

However, the dryer sheets actually bollix the scent receptors in CO2 sensitive insects.
    Mosquito's and Fungus gnats hunt by scent, as do the Moths responsible for bud worms.
    Plain old dryer sheets have solved three of my worries.

Aloha,
    Wee

8.   Advertisements

Old Wives Tales

Looking for some clarification on what may be a Old Wives Tale.

Water storing Polymer Crystals. I have heard from some they are bad and release toxic chemicals as they degrade, while manufactures claim they do not harm plants or people.

Here is a informational pdf on the subject.
    http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Cha...sHydrogels.pdf

Old Wives Tales

Sometimes with other plants to purposefully stunt root growth gives much better buds- I had wondered about this and was told no way- now I'm gonna try it - I have a strange facination with roots....

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by crystaliscious
    Sometimes with other plants to purposefully stunt root growth gives much better buds- I had wondered about this and was told no way- now I'm gonna try it - I have a strange fascination with roots....
    There is some truth to that.
    IF, the trichome density is preserved, having less vegetable matter along with it is, by definition, more potent.
    Of course there will be less of it, and there's no guarantee of trich density.
    That's why we experiment.

So carry on, I'll pull up a chair and watch;

Attachment 297550
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678