Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1691 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Old Wives Tales

Outstanding!!!!!
    Finally a thread that is gonna well deserve the right to be "sticky". Very good points on all that was mentioned but I got one for ya. What about min 36 hours darkness between veg and flower?? :weedpoke:
    As you guys know I live in the land of Hydro and probably the most confusing thing that I see being said over and over is topping of the res with nuted water instead of plain. How do you know what nutes the plants use and what nutes they still have abundent?? I have heard of talking to your plants but if someone is getting a verbal answer back there might be issuses!!! :abduct:

2.   Advertisements

Old Wives Tales

"Miracle Grow soil is garbage for cannabis" Bummer to hear that. It's what I learned canna-gardening in. It get's real old watching new members come in her and parrot garbage they've obviously never tried themselves, but have heard somewhere. It's not the optimal choice, but it's not the worst, either. As with any soil or nutrient...it's something you have to learn how to use properly.

Quote Originally Posted by tinytoon
    What about min 36 hours darkness between veg and flower??
    Unnecessary. If they're ready to go into the flower shed, they're ready. Period. If they are not ready, and you are trying to force 'em to flower...you'll most likely end-up with less robust plants than if you'd have left 'em in the growth stage and flowered once you start seeing pre-flowers.

As you guys know I live in the land of Hydro
    Trying not to hold it against ya. :thumbsup:

How do you know what nutes the plants use and what nutes they still have abundent??
    If what you are doing is working, the plants will let you know. Conversely...if you're screwing-up...they'll let you know that, too.

I have heard of talking to your plants but if someone is getting a verbal answer back there might be issuses!!!
    Although they have no ears...I do let mine know that if they aren't going to perform as expected, I'll replace 'em with a healthier, happier strain. Not sure if this has ever helped the plants, but it makes me feel better.

My plants talk to me every day, but they use BSL. (Botanical Sign Language)

Adding table scraps to the compost heap (not your pots) is fine, but watch what you add. Fats and proteins act differently than does vegetable matter, and there is a balancing point when mixing the two. But some potting mixes have roadkill mixed-in and composted. I guess this is no worse than fertilizing with human waste solids...but still sounds pretty gross.

I harvest when I get the time to do it. A few hours of darkness will not improve your final yield, it won't produce more trichomes, it won't mature the trichomes quicker...so why would you complicate your garden with more complications...? Some of these techniques, although harmless, are a bitch to un-learn.

Old Wives Tales

I've always thought that placing plants in darkness for a day or 2 before being put into flowering decreases the time it takes for flowers to show? This is probably an old wives tale too.

As for talking to your plants...I've ALWAYS thought, as far back as I can remember, that this was due to direct carbondioxide being blown around the plant's leaves. Perhaps not though...maybe a carbon dioxide system would be better...

...so who's job is it to statistically analyse these old wives tales??

Pink.

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by VapedG13
    Funny you ask that....I lost power for 4-5 days my plants had to stay in the dark..... they were 5 weeeks into flower.

The buds actually grew in the darkness
    Actually I did not ask that (putting plants into darkness for 36, 48, 72 or ?). I stated that it is a wifes tale and utter nonscence.

I'm happy for you that 4-5 days of no lights you saw "bud growth". Keep doing it, maybe even try 7-10 days. But before you pass on that "grow tip" baesd upon your dubious (doobieous?) observation, I would suggest that you try to find some scientific plant based physiology fact or theory to support your observation.

OM

Old Wives Tales

What about min 36 hours darkness between veg and flower??
    While I agree with Rusty that it is unnecessary, it will hasten the induction phase of flowering. Here's why. There are three distinct phases to flowering; induction, initiation and developement. When a plant is growing (vegging) everytime it has a dark period certian chemicals (auxins) and hormone (florigen) build up in the plant and every time it has a photoperiod these chemicals and hormones break down. This chemical cocktail must reach a certian level, for a few cycles to induce flowering and start the initiation phase. The usual flowering photoperiod of 12/12 helps to speed up this process, but it can be further hastened using an initial prolonged dark period of 24-36 hrs. Most of us, especially continuous grow growers, don't have the space or timing to do that. Some grower's use an application of certian supplemental lighting that can fool the plant to believe the dark phase is actually longer then 12 hours and we cut induction times that way.

OM

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by oldmac
    Actually I did not ask that (putting plants into darkness for 36, 48, 72 or ?). I stated that it is a wifes tale and utter nonscence.

I'm happy for you that 4-5 days of no lights you saw "bud growth". Keep doing it, maybe even try 7-10 days. But before you pass on that "grow tip" baesd upon your dubious (doobieous?) observation, I would suggest that you try to find some scientific plant based physiology fact or theory to support your observation.

OM
    Ok hows this.....I am forced to leave my flower plants in the dark for 2 days evey 2 weeks for the last year or so. I run pre 98 bubba

It doesnt cause any stress to the plant....and there is definate noticable growth to the buds while in the dark.

I will bet anyone in here $50 that if your plant is 4-5 weeks into flower and you leave it in the dark for 2-3 days you will notice bud growth:thumbsup:

other people have already noticed this

colonugg......they will be fine just continue the flowering cycle....did you notice that the buds actually grew or devoloped in the dark

They did still grow, I noticed bud development but this mornin I waterd with ferts hopefully they bounce bacl

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdolphin113
    ...so who's job is it to statistically analyse these old wives tales??

Pink.
    Why the Reader, of course. You have the best on the site giving their all.

Old Wives Tales

Flush the plant 3 to 7 days before harvest to remove the nitrogen and other nasty stuff from the plant. Actually, you are flushing the soil so the plant has less stuff to uptake, which means less stuff to burn-off in the curing jar. To flush the plant itself, you'd need special fittings and a special garden hose. (likely a low-volume drip line would do) :jointsmile:

It doesnt cause any stress to the plant....and there is definate noticable growth to the buds while in the dark.
    You are forcing it to use stored energy just to survive, and you are assuming there is no price to pay. This isn't a stress-free technique, as that energy must be replaced to resume 'normal' growth. You are asking the plant to go from 100 mph (daily light for it's energy) to 0 mph. (a dead-stop, but she'll still use her stores to survive) Then you accelerate her back to 100 mph, even though she's running on empty. Strains with weaker genetics could easily have a problem with flipping back-n-forth like that.

other people have already noticed this
    Other people have "noticed" that Miracle Grow is crap, or they've "noticed" that organic is better than natural or they've "noticed" that you need 20 different products to bring a plant to harvest.
    But eventually you'll "notice"...if you keep parroting other's, that are wrong about their snake-oils or their bitchen techniques, you'll keep perpetutating wives tales and misinformation. That's what this thread is all about.

And factually, you won't be getting more yield or any more trichomes in any of this. Although the plant goes through growth spurts, hopefully your extended darkness doesn't affect it's next spurt. But you just might cause stress and form nanners, stunt normal growth, slow the flowering process by depleting her energies to survive. This is not a technique worth fretting over, but I've heard from others somewhere...if you leave 'em alone they'll be fine.

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome
    Flush the plant 3 to 7 days before harvest to remove the nitrogen and other nasty stuff from the plant. Actually, you are flushing the soil so the plant has less stuff to uptake, which means less stuff to burn-off in the curing jar. To flush the plant itself, you'd need special fittings and a special garden hose. (likely a low-volume drip line would do) :jointsmile:

You are forcing it to use stored energy just to survive, and you are assuming there is no price to pay. This isn't a stress-free technique, as that energy must be replaced to resume 'normal' growth. You are asking the plant to go from 100 mph (daily light for it's energy) to 0 mph. (a dead-stop, but she'll still use her stores to survive) Then you accelerate her back to 100 mph, even though she's running on empty. Strains with weaker genetics could easily have a problem with flipping back-n-forth like that.

Other people have "noticed" that Miracle Grow is crap, or they've "noticed" that organic is better than natural or they've "noticed" that you need 20 different products to bring a plant to harvest.
    But eventually you'll "notice"...if you keep parroting other's, that are wrong about their snake-oils or their bitchen techniques, you'll keep perpetutating wives tales and misinformation. That's what this thread is all about.

And factually, you won't be getting more yield or any more trichomes in any of this. Although the plant goes through growth spurts, hopefully your extended darkness doesn't affect it's next spurt. But you just might cause stress and form nanners, stunt normal growth, slow the flowering process by depleting her energies to survive. This is not a technique worth fretting over, but I've heard from others somewhere...if you leave 'em alone they'll be fine.
    No bro I've grown this way for the last year.... been a grower for 20yrs....I have been forced to give my flowering plants 2 days of darkness or 16 extra days of darkness in a 8 week flowering cycle...every 2 weeks they get 2 days of darnkness while I'm gone

I travel alot.....It doesnt cause the plants to finish early or later...it doesnt produce more or less weight wise ...it doesnt give the plants more trichs or less.

hasnt effected either way good or bad......I have sour diesel, chem4, pre 98 bubba, lemon skunk ,og kush. white widow, lemon larry and exodus cheese

Old Wives Tales

sorry bros..... it 8 days of extra darkness in the flowering cycle not 16....so an addtional darkness of 192 hours

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast