Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1475 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Doctor Doctor! Yellow and Brown Make me Frown :(

got 3 Violator Kush babies rolling. 2/3 look perfectly healthy. 1/3 looks like this!

Information:

started about five days ago. At that time i was not feeding them anything except distilled water. they are sitting in party cups, in jiffy pucks that are surrounded by cocoa. after i saw the yellowing/browning, i quickly made a 1/4 strength nutrient solution with a healthy dose of cal/mag+. Since then the affected bottom leaves have withered to what you see, and the set directly above have gotten ever so slightly worse at the tips, but this has not spread throughout the leaf, and new growth appears to be unaffected. I am hoping it was just a cal/mag+ hungry phenotype, and that this is in fact just a cal/mag deficiency. But just to be safe i would like some peer feedback. thank you.

-the em
    macnasty Reviewed by macnasty on . Doctor Doctor! Yellow and Brown Make me Frown :( got 3 Violator Kush babies rolling. 2/3 look perfectly healthy. 1/3 looks like this! Information: started about five days ago. At that time i was not feeding them anything except distilled water. they are sitting in party cups, in jiffy pucks that are surrounded by cocoa. after i saw the yellowing/browning, i quickly made a 1/4 strength nutrient solution with a healthy dose of cal/mag+. Since then the affected bottom leaves have withered to what you see, and the set directly above have Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Me thinks you burned them or did something to damage roots....did they get dry?

it can't be nute burn because these symptoms showed before the plants were fed anything beyond water.also, 2 out of the 3 plants are fine. its just the one pictured that was affected.

as far as i can remember i payed as close attention as possible to ensure the cups didn't dry out completely, but i don't have much experience with coco so i'm not sure how dry is too dry. i'm a hydro guy.

Hey macnasty,

It looks a bit like nute burn, but without nutes involved it's not.

WWs take of hurting the roots may account for it. The fact that it has not spread more and is confined to the bottom set of leaves and part of the next is good. It's also good that new growth looks fine.

I'm not good at plant problems, maybe if Rusty stops by and sees he might have an idea.

BTW, how do you get the cups to stick to the wall?

OM

I don't do hydro nor coco, but:

Do you spray the plants with anything?
    Are there adequate drainage holes, or is the rootball sitting in water at all?
    What is your ingoing water ph? Coco requires a lower water ph than soil.
    Perhaps you bent/folded some roots during transplant? What do the roots look like now? (pop 'em out and look) Should be healthy white.
    Why did you add a "heavy" dose of CalMag? Too low of a ph level can lock-out calcium, and magnesium is a salt. (coco retains salts)

transplant, dont nute for two weeks. your party cups have holes...right?

so although new growth looks good initially, those spots keep creeping up. i think it's the ph of the water. thanks rusty. it was going in at 7. i've since started ph'ing to 5.8. hope the new growth is good! i don't understand though, the other two plants, being fed the exact same thing, showed no signs of spots at all. they are perfect. sensitive phenotype??? it still seems to be growing as quickly, if not more quickly, than the other two plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome
    Do you spray the plants with anything?
    haven't sprayed with anything.
    Are there adequate drainage holes, or is the rootball sitting in water at all?
    yes i drilled 3 4mm holes in the bottom of the cups and they are not sitting in any water at all
    What is your ingoing water ph?
    i'm guilty. i've been using water with a ph of 7!

thank you all for your help. keeping fingers crossed.