Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1626 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Last 50

Well, it been one wild ride for me, and the last several years have been....well...mind boggling. But that's nothing compared with the younger set that comes around and hangs out here. This is what they are facing. At times I wonder what it would be like to make it to 2049 and be 100, just to compare and contrast where one started and where one ends.

And the issue we all support, cannabis liberation, could be a redeeming feature to help solve the world's hunger problems and warming problems with the massive production of hemp and cannabis for their healthy and helpful benefits for mankind! ;twocents:

WASHINGTON â?? A growing, more affluent population competing for ever scarcer resources could make for an "unrecognizable" world by 2050, researchers warned at a major US science conference Sunday.

The United Nations has predicted the global population will reach seven billion this year, and climb to nine billion by 2050, "with almost all of the growth occurring in poor countries, particularly Africa and South Asia," said John Bongaarts of the non-profit Population Council.

To feed all those mouths, "we will need to produce as much food in the next 40 years as we have in the last 8,000," said Jason Clay of the World Wildlife Fund at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).

"By 2050 we will not have a planet left that is recognizable" if current trends continue, Clay said.

The swelling population will exacerbate problems, such as resource depletion, said John Casterline, director of the Initiative in Population Research at Ohio State University.

But incomes are also expected to rise over the next 40 years -- tripling globally and quintupling in developing nations -- and add more strain to global food supplies.

People tend to move up the food chain as their incomes rise, consuming more meat than they might have when they made less money, the experts said.

It takes around seven pounds (3.4 kilograms) of grain to produce a pound of meat, and around three to four pounds of grain to produce a pound of cheese or eggs, experts told AFP.

"More people, more money, more consumption, but the same planet," Clay told AFP, urging scientists and governments to start making changes now to how food is produced.

Population experts, meanwhile, called for more funding for family planning programs to help control the growth in the number of humans, especially in developing nations.

"For 20 years, there's been very little investment in family planning, but there's a return of interest now, partly because of the environmental factors like global warming and food prices," said Bongaarts.

"We want to minimize population growth, and the only viable way to do that is through more effective family planning," said Casterline. Rawstory
    gypski Reviewed by gypski on . Last 50 Well, it been one wild ride for me, and the last several years have been....well...mind boggling. But that's nothing compared with the younger set that comes around and hangs out here. This is what they are facing. At times I wonder what it would be like to make it to 2049 and be 100, just to compare and contrast where one started and where one ends. And the issue we all support, cannabis liberation, could be a redeeming feature to help solve the world's hunger problems and warming Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Last 50

Like George Carlin said, "The planet is fine . . . The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance."

Humanity's only chance for survival is to journey into space and find other planets to colonize. No matter the date, eventual overload on this one is inevitable.

If mankind never learns to look past the acquisition and control of resources, meaningful space exploration is only the stuff of science fiction. Greed and avarice will doom our species to extinction.

Just my :twocents:

Last 50

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    Like George Carlin said, "The planet is fine . . . The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance."

Humanity's only chance for survival is to journey into space and find other planets to colonize. No matter the date, eventual overload on this one is inevitable.

If mankind never learns to look past the acquisition and control of resources, meaningful space exploration is only the stuff of science fiction. Greed and avarice will doom our species to extinction.

Just my :twocents:
    Mother Nature is a forgiving lady, at times. Although lately, with all the climatic changes and weather problems, I'm wondering if she is really getting pissed off and, in George's words is starting to, "shake us off like a bad case of fleas."

I miss that man! He had so much wisdom and died far too young.
    :weedpoke:
    Marijuana Genetics
    Mr. Green\'s Indoor Grow Room Guide
    High Times Ready-Set-Grow
    CanCom\'s Troubleshooting Form
    ostgood:If you think you got some good advice, saw a great thread or post, then throw some Reputation points to the advisor/poster like I do! Click on the Scales icon in the upper right hand corner of the post. They just might return the favor in the near future for your knowledgeable post/thread. :thumbsup:

Last 50

To put some things in perspective and how times have changed drastically in my life time I'll post a list of something you don't see any more except on display in some exhibit.

I remember a small foundry in the small town (county seat) that I spent my first years. It was right next door to my grandmother's, and I'd watch the men make the lead ingots from the alley doorway.

I can remember the rag man coming down the street in his horse drawn wagon calling for rags. He was a black gentleman, and my grandmother would send me out with remnants from her invisible mending for Brooks Bros, Gimbels, Macy's.

I remember the trolley that ran through town, in one street, and out the other. It ran on electricity, and used to ride it to Upper Darby and the 69th Street Station with my grandmother and mother on trips to Philly.

I remember picking up the phone and hearing some ones voice, not really knowing who it was. Party-line phones, and real operators. As a kid, sometimes, we'd eavesdrop on the party line, and always hear "get off you little sneaks". We thought it was cool to get nabbed!!!

I remember when a quarter...25 cents..would get you a double feature, cartoon if not two, popcorn, drink, and a box of dots candy.

I remember when TV were the size of the average computer monitor, and the screen was about 12"x12" and you only got 4 channels. About midnight, you got an annoying signal and visual on the screen saying the station was off the air. It came back on with agricultural news about 5 AM.

These are just a few of the things I've seen and experienced in life. I had my first plane ride when I was about 5 year old in a Piper Cub. I puked into a coffee can after looking out the window and down at the ground one time, and have loved flying and looking down ever since. No vertigo here.

Now compare that to what we have today, it seems like a 100 years have passed already! :lol5:

Last 50

Cosmically speaking, all of human time is a heartbeat, but I have noticed that my perception of time is speeding up the older I get. If I live to be 100, stuff will be just zipping by. [attachment=o266425]

I remember when we got our first color TV. My dad blew a ton on a console model RCA with the AM/FM stereo and a record player . . . with a stacker so you could load up a bunch of albums. :wtf:

It was very exciting, except most of the shows were in black & white anyway.

On it, I remember watching Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. Got to stay up late and was still wide awake in anticipation when mankind actually stepped upon the moon. It was mind expanding.

But I digress. [attachment=o266426]

Last 50

I remember having to get up to change the channel on the tv.

Last 50

Quote Originally Posted by RAINHAZE
    I remember having to get up to change the channel on the tv.
    lmao, how did we survive?!?

Don't forget only having three channels that came in worth a darn and if there was a good lightning storm nearby, you had find something else to do . . .

Last 50

Or climb on the roof to adjust the antenna!!! :lol5:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    lmao, how did we survive?!?

Don't forget only having three channels that came in worth a darn and if there was a good lightning storm nearby, you had find something else to do . . .

Last 50

I remember our first family computer that had a black and green screen and had a hard drive capacity in the kilobytes. Now just some 20 odd years later I can get that kind of computing power for like 10 bucks at almost any retail store.

Amount:

Enter a message for the receiver:
BE SOCIAL
GreenGrassForums On Facebook