Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1609 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Gov. Christie refuses ??adult conversation?? about medical marijuana

Tomorrow, another deadline will expire.

A rare standoff between the Legislature and the Governor over the medical marijuana program has now steered New Jersey into uncharted waters within the Constitution.

Governor Chris Christie wants all the medical cannabis in The Garden State to be just three genetic strains, all containing less than 10% THC. The mid-grade pot would also come with orders for the state to intrude into the doctor/patient relationship.

Residents who live here with AIDS, cancer, Crohn??s Disease and other conditions that would qualify want something better from the compassionate use law that passed last year.

The Legislature is backing these potential medical marijuana patients and is currently moving to invalidate the contentious rules. Although the process was threatened under previous administrations no Governor has even taken it this far, with another deadline set to expire on Monday 2/21.

Sick and terminally ill residents have traveled to Trenton numerous times over the last few months to testify before Senate and Assembly committees. Their personal stories are heart wrenching, but their message is a unified plea to re-write the regulations.

It??s not just the cap on THC potency that is problematic. The 100+ pages of language turned out to be a minefield for ill residents, their doctors and potential non-profit providers.

- Doctors are ordered to be part of a registry to even recommend marijuana.

- Physicians would also be ordered to try to wean their patients off of cannabis in three months.

- Alternative Treatment Centers (ATC) in NJ might only be permitted distribute raw plant material, lozenges and topical creams: No edibles or tinctures would be allowed.

- Confusing and often conflicting requirements for Alterative Treatment Centers

- Elimination of all provisions for home delivery now requires patients or a single designated caregiver to visit one of 6 ATC sites around the state

In a strong signal of the Christie Administration??s unwillingness to compromise or even address the key points, no one from the Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) or the Governor??s Counsel testified at any of the hearings to defend the regulations.
    But the crux of the issue really lies in the bigger picture. The proposed rules largely ignore science and medical evidence while dismissing the common practice for medical cannabis in 13 other US states. Worse, the Christie Administration has pursued these bad regulations without transparency, closing the door on sponsoring legislators and local advocacy groups.

Perhaps most frustrating is the wholly anti-conservative tone of the proposed medical marijuana regulations; presenting a template of ideas almost the polar opposite of Christie??s usual rhetoric and practice.

Ironically, Christie lauded himself in a speech to the national GOP audience at the American Enterprise Institute this week. There where he highlighted the ??adult conversations? he??s having with voters on tough issues.

While some discussions were generated with firefighters over pensions, no such conversations have happened with the governor regarding the medical marijuana regulations.

Christie also touted his approval ratings in the speech as proof that his tactics are popular. Indeed, recent polling shows a 72% job approval rating among his base of Republican voters. The same poll found that 66% of Republicans support the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act.

So, it is entirely feasible that at some point during his administration Chris Christie will be less popular than medical marijuana ?? and that??s among Republicans. Democrats support the issue at even higher levels.

Attorney Justin Escher Alpert started off his testimony before the Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens Services committee on 1/20/2011 with this:
    I am a very conservative republican. But the problem is that the [Christie] Administration has re-invented the wheel on this?and they have invented a wheel with flat sides and it??s not going to go anywhere. You can say let??s go forward with this [regulations] just because we have to move forward. But they have ignored the letter of the law, they have ignored the spirit of the law, they have ignored the will of the people they have ignored this Legislature treating it like a less than equal branch of government and it??s time to stay ??stop.?? WATCH VIDEO
    The intention on Christie??s part to water down and delay the medical marijuana program is clear. The public, media and elected officials have seen through the governor??s spin. Now the Legislature must show resolve.

The Senate and Assembly have already passed special resolutions. The public hearing last month in the Senate was another important step; the transcripts of the hearings were to be placed on the desks of legislators for twenty (20) days. That deadline is understood to expire on Monday February 21, 2011.

Attorney Justin Escher Alpert commented via phone today for this article: ?? Medical marijuana is not a liberal or a conservative issue. But for conservatives this is gut-check-time. When we wave that liberty flag what exactly are we talking about??

Gov. Christie refuses â??adult conversationâ?? about medical marijuana - Philadelphia norml | Examiner.com

[align=left]

[/align]
    RedLocks Reviewed by RedLocks on . Gov. Christie refuses ??adult conversation?? about medical marijuana Tomorrow, another deadline will expire. Gov. Christie refuses ??adult conversation?? about medical marijuana A rare standoff between the Legislature and the Governor over the medical marijuana program has now steered New Jersey into uncharted waters within the Constitution. Governor Chris Christie wants all the medical cannabis in The Garden State to be just three genetic strains, all containing less than 10% THC. The mid-grade pot would also come with orders for the state to Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Christie is screwing up the whole region. Rendell failed to do anything and now Corbett in Pa will try and pull the same crap to kill any bill. And Delaware is following the same bad model of limited dispensaries and no patient growing. Bad, bad, bad,

Mike Milburn in Montana trying to kill mmj for them too. He is doing it legit though by trying to repeal the law, instead of just trying to make the law useless.

I think they will have people walking like Egyptians if it does get repeal!!! All republicans too. :wtf:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLocks
    Mike Milburn in Montana trying to kill mmj for them too. He is doing it legit though by trying to repeal the law, instead of just trying to make the law useless.

Warning, this is a pretty serious post.

Sad day for me today to think of how long ago mmj could have been made available to the grievously ill of the state.

Tonight I hold in my hand a small pic given to me 20 some years ago of my baby cousin thinking about him "living" his last few hours tonight. As the end to a battle with cancer nears I find myself wondering even more fervently than before what rhyme or reason is there in this mans willingness to withhold from the grievously ill and terminal a little bit of comfort and manageability in their lives.

If you're involved with this fight with Christie and you are reading this, please, never ever back down from this battle with this brute, keep on fighting and never shut up until the law has been implemented and the consensus among the medical, caregiver and patient community is the law is as it should be.

Now if you will excuse me, it is my turn to join the ranks of Jersey residents who loved ones have passed away without ever seeing the day when a long ago passed law becomes implemented.... If you believe in some type of spirituality, please take a moment to say a prayer or put in a good word with the man up there for Dan , he'll know who yuh talkin bout...

Follow The Money

********Most Politicians are Tyrants******** Pockets lined with cash in return "a vote"! I'm not radical in practice, just in thought. Well he'll yea, guess I am! T. Jefferson & I woulda been good pals sans the enslavement thingy. Big corporations are feeding us a daily diet of crap.....T.V., GMO, Pollution, Big Pharma & the list is way too long but yea, open your eyes, the truth Is out there! I love my country. Oh, didn't some kinds big "Agra" corp just pay off a congressman/senator for a new bill essentially making them immune from prosecution!! Paleeeeze

Sic Semper Tyranus

:s4:
    Keeping pain at bay 24/7©:thumbsup:

This is politics at its best. What's happened here is some commercial grower has their own strains, and have made nominal donations to his campaign fund to ensure these are the only strains that can be sold legally.

This is my best guess, but I'm willing to bet its pretty spot on.