Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1665 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Droid phones? Smart phones?

I just got a new Droid Incredible w/ google phone and being a "really old guy", (thanks for reminding me, Em! ) I think they sure named this phone right! I've been playing with it and d/ling apps for four days now...LOL! I'm not sure I need a laptop computer anymore....this thing IS a hand top 'puter! Anybody else have one of these? Recommend any favorite apps? Games?

Being a "really old guy", I can remember the first 'puter I worked on took up an entire floor of a large office bldg., cost 8 mil, and ran at a clock speed of 1khz...yes K, not meg, not gig....now I got a phone I can hold in my palm that is a 1000 times faster (or is it 100,000? Don't make me do math high...) and has 200 times the data storage and cost me $19.99...I call that pretty incredible!
    TANKJR Reviewed by TANKJR on . Droid phones? Smart phones? I just got a new Droid Incredible w/ google phone and being a "really old guy", (thanks for reminding me, Em! ;)) I think they sure named this phone right! I've been playing with it and d/ling apps for four days now...LOL! I'm not sure I need a laptop computer anymore....this thing IS a hand top 'puter! Anybody else have one of these? Recommend any favorite apps? Games? Being a "really old guy", I can remember the first 'puter I worked on took up an entire floor of a large office Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TANKJR
    I just got a new Droid Incredible w/ google phone and being a "really old guy", (thanks for reminding me, Em! ) I think they sure named this phone right! I've been playing with it and d/ling apps for four days now...LOL! I'm not sure I need a laptop computer anymore....this thing IS a hand top 'puter! Anybody else have one of these? Recommend any favorite apps? Games?

Being a "really old guy", I can remember the first 'puter I worked on took up an entire floor of a large office bldg., cost 8 mil, and ran at a clock speed of 1khz...yes K, not meg, not gig....now I got a phone I can hold in my palm that is a 1000 times faster (or is it 100,000? Don't make me do math high...) and has 200 times the data storage and cost me $19.99...I call that pretty incredible!
    Hey tank my friend! Bein an old guy to I have seen the technologies this here world be producin but please one old guy to another LOL keep some yur hands on life skills and no hows case the ultimate plug be gettin pulled and the big crash powers down everythin be nice to know folks be able to get up off the couch be changin the chanels by hand skills so to speak even though there be no power LOL, still kids there days be goin in a scene from the wizard of oz when the crash happins be soundin like this. "IM MELTING WHAT HAVE YU DONE IM MELTING" LOL

Be havin fun my pilgrem friend yu bein an old guy like me be landin on yur feet I bet I feel afraid for the chittlins though

BWD

Glad to help TankJr. I love my Droid. I got the cheaper one, the Optimus. Finally they are starting to get this phone thing right. You do realize that for all you centenarians that you can download an app that will let you simulate the old rotary dial phones? Not sure, but it might help you adjust to the technology.

As an economist I am all over the business and market analysis products out there. It really is amazing the amount of computing and communications power in these phones. I manage about 8 email accounts through it, several IM accounts, social networking, the dang thing even knows right exactly where I am at all times and can recommend the nearest restaurant, gas station (rated by cheapest gas prices), and show me what movies are playing nearby and even show me the trailers so I can see if I want to buy a ticket. I can point out to someone exactly where I am at so they can find me using their smart phone. It knows my schedule and will wake me up automatically at a different time of the morning depending on the day of the week and based on my appointments and class schedule. My scheduler and appointment book are always at my fingertips and synchronized with my computer at home. I have an instant weather report at my fingertips including local Doppler radar. If I need to be entertained, I can watch TV, News or listen to the 30 hours or so of music I have stored in the phone. Best thing about all of this... it cost me $49. Wow! Just wow. Indeed if we lost all this I would feel like I was melting. If it could only cook or allow me to beam up somewhere, it would be perfect. I could use a laser that melted snow too. Maybe next year's phones will do that.

Emmie

Boy, oh boy, everybody wantin' the newest gadget or tracking device put on the market. Me, I'm ready to go back to the days of if you wanna' see me or talk to me, get in my face. We are losing the true personal touch believing our electronic communications suffices for real face time.

But that's just me. I don't wanna know what going on somewhere in the world this very minute, sometimes over and over just to fill the 24 hour news cycle. :error: Its time for a break, slow things down again, sit back take it easy, don't work so fucking hard for actually nothing because more and more of your life is spent working to pay for all the needless, addicting things. That's why the world is so god-damned crazy. Its like the evil kid turning on the train set with the family Christmas kitten tied to the coal car with the transformer on max, and leaving the room. I don't have to tell you the possibilities!!! :lol5:

Nah, man, I want more of the older days life-style to come back. :stoned: Kick back take time to smell the roses and live, not be a slave to a system or gadgets! :twocents:

LOL! I hear ya Gypski, but I don't think we're gonna go back to anything resembling simple ever again (see Emmie's post? She's pretty HIGH tech, and I don't see anything simple in her schedule...LOL!)....well maybe after the revolution things might get simple again...but don't you worry there big BWD....I was a boyscout and I can still start a fire with two sticks and navigate with only the sun and stars! That google sky chart is pretty cool tho! I'll eat well with nothing more than a pocket knife too believe it! The best part of this new phone I got is... it still has an "Off" button...I don't need GPS when I go canoeing or kayaking and I still get where I wanna go, and maybe I wanna get lost sometimes and just wander...I've found some of the coolest places on earth that way..

So Emmie...what are some cool apps I should ck out? I found an AK47 app but it turned out to be a crappy little game with a Russian rifle...:wtf: LOL! I keep forgetting its also a gun...:stoned:

Hey....I just found the entire US Army Survival guide app for droids....ROFFLMAO!!! That's TOOO funny!:yippee:

LOL! I hear ya Gypski, but I don't think we're gonna go back to anything resembling simple ever again (see Emmie's post? She's pretty HIGH tech, and I don't see anything simple in her schedule...LOL!)....well maybe after the revolution things might get simple again...but don't you worry there big BWD....I was a boyscout and I can still start a fire with two sticks and navigate with only the sun and stars! That google sky chart is pretty cool tho! I'll eat well with nothing more than a pocket knife too believe it! The best part of this new phone I got is... it still has an "Off" button...I don't need GPS when I go canoeing or kayaking and I still get where I wanna go, and maybe I wanna get lost sometimes and just wander...I've found some of the coolest places on earth that way..

So Emmie...what are some cool apps I should ck out? I found an AK47 app but it turned out to be a crappy little game with a Russian rifle...:wtf: LOL! I keep forgetting its also a gun...:stoned:

Hey....I just found the entire US Army Survival guide app for droids....ROFFLMAO!!! That's TOOO funny!:yippee:
    Yual be livin large then my friend Tank best of both worlds be under yur belt good on ya!

BWD

Anybody else have one of these? Recommend any favorite apps? Games?
    I have the HTC EVO 4G . . . pretty cool little gadget . . . if I can ever figure out how to do everything it can do.

I recommend Angry Birds. That is an addictive game that is a blast when you're blazed. :thumbsup:

Oh, and advanced task killer is another good one. Lots of aps run in the background that you aren't even using. Makes the battery go dead sooner. Instead of hunting them down and shutting them off one by one, you can shut them all off at once with advanced task killer.

My son showed me that one.

Hey Thanks BB! I have the juice defender app that controls battery use somewhat, and I was looking at the App killer too...I can already see I am gonna go for the bigger battery and case...they have a 3500mAh battery for it, but you have to get a different thicker back case cover, too...My last phone could go 5 days w/o charging...I'm also going to go to a 8 or 16gb SD card soon, so I can put all my reference materials on it for work...I can run this thing dead in 1.5 hours playing games....LOL! But that's not why I got it...I get tired of carrying a laptop around anymore! I did not get the 4G...it's very spotty here in the country anyway, and I really don't need screaming internet speed anyway...according to the speed tests I've run, this phone is about 10 times faster than the wireless modem was! I've found some things that are pretty cool....I had Pandora radio on my laptop and when I synced em up it put all my pandora stations on the phone automatically...pretty cool!
    For any of you ppl that ask questions about electricity, and have a droid phone, I found a very cool app that has all the electrical formulas in it I'll ever need and calculates everything for you, resistor color charts, everything!...it's called ElectroDroid. More references and calculators for TANK! Woo hoo!

I have a lot of apps that are specific to my field of study and my other major hobby (Ham Radio), but I have found a few that are just so cool that I had to have them. Two you mentioned before, first the Google Sky app. It always annoyed me that others could recognize things in the night sky and that I couldn't. It's not that I use this a lot, but it sure is a cool way to show off the phone. Also Pandora... I find that this project fascinates me as to how it tries to figure out musical artists that I have not heard before and yet will like, based on the musical qualities of artists I have told it that I listen to.

As far as must have utilities, get the Easy Uninstall and the Advanced Task killer. You also want to have apps that can individually toggle wi-fi, bluetooth, gps and sound so that you can manage battery use a bit better. If you are around a lot of other smart phone users, especially those who think their I-Phones are superior, get Bump so that you can toss applications, files etc to those nearby you.

Personal use items include Cardio Trainer. Its like an old fashioned pedometer on steroids. It not only counts your steps and gives you a very accurate count of how far you went, but it monitors heart rate and calories burned.

Have you ever had a need to monitor an area for noise level and alert you if the noise exceeds a certain volume? Using Noise Alert, you can use your phone as a sensor, and if it senses the volume hit a threshold (like during a break in) it will call another number and alert you. I have used this to let me know when someone arrived and had it call my friends phone. Then I showed up as if somehow I mysteriously knew of the arrival. It just adds to that mystery we all know as Emmie.

Another very cool app is Google Goggles. It allows you to take a picture of something and use that as the search criteria in Google. It can identify the most amazing things sometimes. Take a picture of a store front, it will return to you the hours, phone number and web page of the business you are looking at. Take a picture of a bar code... you will get instant reviews of the product. Take a picture of a leaf... it will tell you what species it is. This I find very cool.

Then of course there are the apps for comparative shopping, such as Bar Code Scanner. Scan the code in the store and it will tell you of other stores in the area selling the same good, and give you price comparisons along with warranty information and other things... very nice.

Feeling paranoid? Turn on Police Scanner and dial in your country, county and specific department to listen in on.

How about Shazam? Let it listen to a song playing in your local environment from the radio or tv or wherever... sometimes even live music, and it will identify the song for you and give you some information about it, link you to lyrics and stuff. Very impressive.

Find yourself in a location where you find it hard to sleep? Try Relax and Sleep. It is more than just a white or pink noise generator, it will simulate many sounds from our lives, fans, refrigerators, ocean, forest... many many others... and allow you to mix them all together into a background noise of your choosing to lull you off to dreamland.

Going to a ball game or the Mall of America and worry about being able to make it back to your car? Or for the older set, just want to be able to find your car when you come out of Wal*Mart? Try My Car Locator. It will set a GPS point at your car and will lead you right back to it.

To reduce the amount of those little discount tags that grocery, drug and hardware stores use that you have to swipe and put on your key ring... put them all in your phone instead with Key Ring. Eventually I would like to see this to include credit and debit cards and just have one central device to manage all that, with the necessary security precautions... but that is for the future.

And then lastly, to reduce tension you might find it cool to use magic vibrator. It uses the phones ability to vibrate in about 10 very unique ways. This of course might make you think carefully about where you carry your phone. I will leave that to your imagination.

I love apps. This is why I got my smart phone. That and to look cool of course. Having an old dumb flip phone is so last century you know.

Emmie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast