Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1826 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Soil CFL Grow - Purple(?)

Hey everyone,

This is my second grow, first one on these boards and hopefully first one that yields a smokable product. The last grow i just raised the plants outside on the balcony and i think they didnt get enough sun. I gave them plenty of nutes because i thought that was the limiting factor - apparently not. So i'm testing the theory and got some grow lights.

Some points:
    Start Date - Jan 11, 2011 they popped from the soil
    3 Plants - some type of purple indica(i think), seeds from a friend
    Lights - 2 65W CFL's - ~4300 lumens each
    Soil - questionable compost-rich potting soil(all i can get here - ugh, dont ask)
    Nutes - none so far(got some for later)

The plants are about a week old now and looking pretty great. The CFL's are about 2 inches from the tops of the plants, they are growing fast, internodal space is super tight so i think they have enough light.. So, these boards are an amazing resource as i've found by obsessively reading them. I was wondering if i could get some assistance from the pros:

1. Low Light
    I know I have low light so am trying to decide how to deal with that, either SCROG, LST, or topping(as per Uncle Ben's topping for 4 colas method). I dunno about SCROG cause its more advanced and i'm a no0B, plus the internodal space is so tight(at least so far). LST would be simple enough, but topping is easiest so if topping once for 4 colas would be enough i might do that.

2. Leaf Curl
    The leaves are curling just a bit at the edges, curling UP, not down like nute burn. you can see a bit in the pics if they let me post them. The edges are curled up just a bit, more at the base of the leaf than the tip. Any ideas? Mg deficiency? light too close? humidity too low? those seem the likely suspects but i moved the lights a little farther away and no change.

3. Water
    The water here is questionable at best.. we drink bottled water, but i looked at the label and its mineralized with:
    135 mg/L bicarbonates (HCO3)
    54 mg/L calcium (Ca)
    80 mg/L Chloride (Cl)
    14 mg/L Magnesium (Mg)
    65 mg/L Sodium (Na)
    35 mg/L Sulfate (SO4)
    280mg/L total dissolved solids (280ppm)

It's the Sodium and Chloride that i'm worried about. It's either use this water or the tap water that i know nothing about... Is 65 ppm of sodium devastating?

Well sorry about the long-winded questions, i'm very curious and excited for the grow. Thanks in advance for ur help!
    IntrepidSavage Reviewed by IntrepidSavage on . Soil CFL Grow - Purple(?) Hey everyone, This is my second grow, first one on these boards and hopefully first one that yields a smokable product. The last grow i just raised the plants outside on the balcony and i think they didnt get enough sun. I gave them plenty of nutes because i thought that was the limiting factor - apparently not. So i'm testing the theory and got some grow lights. Some points: Start Date - Jan 11, 2011 they popped from the soil 3 Plants - some type of purple indica(i think), seeds Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

At 2 weeks old, the plants are looking pretty good. Definitely indica dominant, at 1 week there were 2 nodes of true leaves, at 2 weeks, there's 4 nodes of true leaves, so growing pretty well. I think they are a little pot-bound actually, which is surprising considering the pots I started them in are decent size(probably 1.5-2 cups). Lots of roots poking out the bottom, and today they are looking just a liiiittle wilty. I raised the lights a bit in case its heat stress. Will repot them next watering, on Thursday.

there's a nice hint of skunk smell in the grow room, pretty exciting!

Usually here I saw people keep silent and watch first to see what you can do yourself.
    So, I'll keep it short.
    Light: Enough for now.
    Plants will start stretching in a week or two from now. Even if you double your lights. That's the considering point about LST or SCROG.

Leaves: Its probably about heat. Point a fan to the plants and bulbs, keep them cool, raise the humidity if its too low.

Water: I have no idea. I'm using tap water and I'm ok with it like many others do.

Good luck with your grow. Subscribed here :thumbsup:

I'd think if the little seedlings can handle the bottled water then the plants should be good on it. Watch for salt buildup on top of the soil. As far as limiting factors, every factor is the limiting factor. Everything is important. Good light, Ph, water, nutrients and proper heat ranges.

good luck

Thanks for the replies!

i still can't post attachments, ONLY IN THIS SECTION. its really pissing me off. can post in other sections but not in Grow Log. Admin help please??

the plants are growing well and i think i'll repot today as i'm seeing lots of roots poking through the bottom. i mean, lots. also, the lower leaves are yellowing a bit. I think this is nute lockout from too high pH. On jan 21 i tested the soil runoff and it was 8.5! no pH down available here so i bought some organic apple cider vinegar, watered with pH 5.0 water on the 21 and 24, and soil runoff the 24 looked more like 7.5 (pH drop kit).

Anyway, thanks for following the Log. I have weekly pics i'll upload whenever i'm allowed to...

Hahahahaha i can post pics wweeeeoooo!! lol i'm impatient. and bored today. ok..

Pic 1: Plants at 1 week old. (1/18)
    Pic 2/3: Plants at 2 weeks old (tubes are from homemade CO2 generator) (1/25)
    Pic 4: Supercool excel table, complete with links to Sheet with photos

See the necrotic spots on the lower leaf in the 2 week shot? well now that whole leaf has turned yellow! uh oh! tryyyyiinnggg to lower the pH of the soil but its F'n tough!! soooo we'll see.

Very good looking plants.
    Excellent table work, i like it very much :thumbsup:

Weekly photo update. Plants are 3 weeks old today. I topped them all on Sunday, Jan 30.

Pic 1: Mutant plant, one of the petioles came fused to the first true leaf and after all the nodes were messed up. Anywho, got 5 stems coming up after the cut instead of 4 so its alll good.

Pic 2: Biggest and strongest plant(you can see N deficiency cause she's so hungry and soil pH is too high!). Of course when i took the cutting i snipped one of the new stems!! nooo00bb..

Pic 3: Third plant, 2 big stems 2 small ones, will have to try to get light to the small ones.

Pic 4: The clones in their cloning container. Hope they're successful so i can sex them and not waste time with male mothers!

A little late with the pics this week. I'm 1 month into vegging, i think i'll go at least 2 more weeks before flower.

I'm still battling nutrient lockout due to high pH (i THINK!). pH of runoff water was 7.5+ last time i checked. I foliar fed a few times as i'm seeing yellow slowly creep up the plants from the bottom. New leaves are also very light in color and aren't darkening up much.. The temps were up around 90 with the lights on so i just got a fan.

The plants are showing purple stems - not sure if thats related to their phenotype, or some sort of deficiency. Growing really fast though! Just the yellowing i'm worried about really..

Comments/suggestions welcome

Pic 1: The biggest plant in terms of growth and such. has obvious purple stems but not really visible in pic.

Pic 2: The sorta runty plant - its really yellow - you can see in the pic, the new growth is kinda yellow too.

Pic 3: The mutant plant - looking just fine with 5 colas.

Ph too high! get it down to 6.4 or so.
    Nice notations on spreadsheet! Much better than my scribbling on lined paper. I think I'll adopt that idea when I got a moment. :thumbsup:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast