Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1489 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Opinions on this soil please?

Hi everyone
    I'm in Holland so not able to acess the soils you folks prefer and as the growshops here only open during normal working hours its tricky getting hold of good soil. So we've been poking about in the local garden shops that are open later and they appear to stock only potting mix for houseplants - and have high levels of added fertilizer.
    I wanted to have something light on the nutes so that I can just add them in myself when necessary.

There is however a seed and cutting mix that seems to be light on the nutes and I wondered if it would be ok to use.
    This is printed on the bag. Rough translation from Dutch:

Florentus (brand name) 40 litre
    Seed and cutting soil

Mix of garden peat, white peat, sand (not sure if this is literally sand), and fertilizer base of calcium, magnesium, organic matter.

EC - 150 uS/cm
    NKP 10-3-31 0.5kg/m3
    Dry matter: 25%
    Organic matter: 18%

It looks and feels like a light free draining mix that is quite different to the heavier potting mix I'm using at the moment (mixed with perlite). It burnt severly our little White widow's. The next kids are going to be indica dominant Kandahar so hopefully not so nute delicate.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on the seed and cutting mix?
    rattlingdags Reviewed by rattlingdags on . Opinions on this soil please? Hi everyone I'm in Holland so not able to acess the soils you folks prefer and as the growshops here only open during normal working hours its tricky getting hold of good soil. So we've been poking about in the local garden shops that are open later and they appear to stock only potting mix for houseplants - and have high levels of added fertilizer. I wanted to have something light on the nutes so that I can just add them in myself when necessary. There is however a seed and cutting mix Rating: 5
    Disclaimer: Everything I write is simply virtual roleplaying. Life is but a play, so lets play.

2.   Advertisements

I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and try out the seed and cutting mix for the whole grow and just see how they go. It worked well for young seedlings, as its designed for, but I was unsure whether or not it would be suitable for older plants. Hopefully they'll forgive me, or else I'll have to take a time off work to get the growshop soil. Will play it by ear and see.
    Disclaimer: Everything I write is simply virtual roleplaying. Life is but a play, so lets play.

maybe this can help....Marijuana cultivation in soil.

Thats great thankyou that gives me something to work with. I'm reading it now and saving a copy to refer back to.

Just curious if you ended up constructing your own soil and how it worked out.

No the soil I asked about there turned out to be too acidic to use for a whole grow. It was fine for seedlings and I used it to start my Kandahar (I still have her more than a year later lol) but the ph was in the mid 5's and much too low to keep using as the young girls grew. They freaked and I had to frantically search again for an alternative. I managed to find a shop that was open half an hour later than the others and so for the last year I've been happily using Plagron light.

Wish I did have the space to make my own soil and brew tea's etc though, I'd really go organic, but its just not feasible here unfortunately.