Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1643 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dangers of Smoking in Teenagers

Many a movie scenes show off heroines and heroes smoking cigarettes and appear godly. Many of the youngsters find it cool and amazing. But they do not realize the truth that follows smoking cigarettes. They seldom realize that cigarettes are eating away their bodies. Cigarettes steal away their chances of becoming good athletes because smoking causes short of breath and reduces stamina. Cigarettes also make them stinky and smell of tobacco.

The probability of Teenage smoking is high if their parents smoke. Some youngsters also feel that cigarettes make them look heroic, older and attractive. Some teenagers think that smoking helps them concentrate and remain stress free.

The chemicals in tobacco stimulate the brain and release natural sedatives which affect the personā??s mood. Tobacco is highly addictive especially in the form of smoke because it delivers high doses of nicotine directly to the brain. They get used to smoking at particular situations.

Smokers are tenfold more likely to get develop heart disease, lung disease, stroke or major heart attack. They are also more susceptible to develop diabetes. Smoking causes cancer of the throat, lungs and the mouth. Smoking also may lead to infertility. Smoking makes the probability of conception lesser for women smokers. It also reduces the sperm count in men. In case of smoking mothers, tobacco harms not only the mother but also the baby. Smoking also reduces blood circulation which may lead to gangrene or amputation of limbs in extreme cases.

It is extremely important that youngsters be properly educated about the harms of smoking before they fall prey to this silent killer.
    fitbodyjilugo Reviewed by fitbodyjilugo on . Dangers of Smoking in Teenagers Many a movie scenes show off heroines and heroes smoking cigarettes and appear godly. Many of the youngsters find it cool and amazing. But they do not realize the truth that follows smoking cigarettes. They seldom realize that cigarettes are eating away their bodies. Cigarettes steal away their chances of becoming good athletes because smoking causes short of breath and reduces stamina. Cigarettes also make them stinky and smell of tobacco. The probability of Teenage smoking is high if their Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

And this is why people aren't as educated about tobacco as they could be - because the information is suppressed. I suspect that despite the lawsuits and financial losses the tobacco companies experience, that there will always be people who smoke. The reasons for this are given in your post - there are personalities that are naturally dependent, rebellious, and self-destructive. The tend to have frequent depression and hopelessness. I know someone who is like this. He says that smoking and drinking is pleasure, but I think what he's trying to say is that when he's sober, he's not happy. And since behaviour is largely driven by our emotions, as long as a person is feeling depressed and that life is hopeless there will always be smokers. The other issue of looking more mature, cool, heroic, etc., only fan the flames (if you'll pardon the expression). As far as tobacco-induced disease is concerned, these things do not matter to the smoker. They know the effects of tobacco use are well into the future and they simply don't care. Since they tend to be self-destructive anyway, dying from doing something they've come to love is what works for them. They know they're not going to be around forever anyway. If you're depressed and hopeless and know you're going to die one day, why not go out with a smile on your face? For alot of people tobacco allows this to happen. Prohibition didn't work in the 20's and 30's because government can't change a person's mental health. People say it didn't work because governenment can't dictate public morals, but that's not accurate. Morals can be changed, but mental health is a tougher fix. We tend to gravitate toward things that provide us with pleasure and not all behaviours provide the same effect to all people. We can be sure that some politicians who voted against alcohol years ago had the own private stashes. If something similar were to happen to tobacco there would be more private stashes. The final analysis? The same thing the government did - let people use it and tax the hell out it.

You're joking right? The info is repressed?!? Hell, every busybody non-smoker on the planet quotes little factoids to smokers every chance they get. There are TV ads, magazine ads, etc. A smoker goes to the doctor for a broken bone they get a lecture about smoking. Please.

I've been smoking for over 40 years. If I'm suicidal, I'm really patient.

My lungs are fine (had a chest x-ray recently for another issue altogether). I don't have cancer, emphysema, asthma, or any of the other bugaboo diseases that are constantly crammed down my throat as the penalty for smoking. I've outlived several acquaintances who didn't smoke and were health nuts.

I'll grant you it doesn't smell good to non-smokers.

Oh, and I'm not depressed or dependent on smoking to save me from my useless existence either. I started smoking to emulate my big brother, who was my hero. I'll grant you that. But does it ever occur to self-righteous non-smokers that maybe we just enjoy smoking?

I could use all of these arguments against your use of cannabis. Does that make is so?

Bottom line is, no one gets out of this alive. How about you let other folks live how they want to live and worry about your own self? :thumbsup:

You're not going to like this, but you basically restated what I wrote. That's not great argument. When I wrote the info is suppressed, what I meant was that we see more to encourage smoking that to discourage it. Just because you've outlived non-smokers doesn't mean that smoking is good for you. It's just means you've been lucky. We're all going to die at some point, but some of us do not want to speed the process.
    Smoking for 40 years, huh? Truth is, your body is suffering but you've just become used to it. Would you like to have back all the money you've spent on tobacco? I'm sure that as a non-smoker I feel better than you do, I can excercise more for longer, I don't have a fast heart rate or high blood pressure. There are risks to smoking, but your indignant attitude is the mental health problem I was referring to earlier. You're obviously very sensitive to unpleasant information and opinion regarding smoking. Your view of words like mine as an attack on your personally, when in my opinion I was discussing a behavior, not anyone directly. This kind of defensive response is typical of a dependent, addictive personality. You just want people to stay out of your business when it comes to your characteristic of being substance-oriented. This is so much a part of who you are that you take any statement to the contrary as being an attack on your ability to survive. Truth is, it's a crutch you've learned to lean on because you're not happy with who you are (as evidenced in your need to emulate your brother). What makes you think I use cannabis?

Here's something. A website where down at the bottom you can calculate how much money your spent on cigarettes over the years. I know the price has changed alot in 40 years. Today's price for a pack is about 8 bucks according to the prices I've seen in my local store. One pack a day costs the smoker almost 3,000 dollars a year. Yes, three grand.
    The Psychology of Smoking - Tobacco Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by polishpollack
    You're not going to like this, but you basically restated what I wrote. That's not great argument. When I wrote the info is suppressed, what I meant was that we see more to encourage smoking that to discourage it.
    Where do you live? Siberia?

Just because you've outlived non-smokers doesn't mean that smoking is good for you. It's just means you've been lucky. We're all going to die at some point, but some of us do not want to speed the process.
    Then good on you. Why do you have to act the nanny for those of us that make different life choices than yourself?

Smoking for 40 years, huh?
    Yep. Started when I was 12 and I am over 52. Do the math.

Truth is, your body is suffering but you've just become used to it.
    Truth is, you don't know anything about me. You are generalizing and regurgitating what you've been told. I'm living it buddy.

Would you like to have back all the money you've spent on tobacco?
    Heck yes I'd like that money. I'd like to win the lotto too. You want stuff, you have to pay for it . . . unless you steal it or make it yourself.

I'm sure that as a non-smoker I feel better than you do, I can excercise more for longer, I don't have a fast heart rate or high blood pressure.
    How's the weather up there on your high horse? My blood pressure and heart rate frustrate the shit out of doctors who are trying to give me grief about smoking. See, both are actually low. Messes with their assumptions. Yours too.

There are risks to smoking, but your indignant attitude is the mental health problem I was referring to earlier. You're obviously very sensitive to unpleasant information and opinion regarding smoking. Your view of words like mine as an attack on your personally, when in my opinion I was discussing a behavior, not anyone directly. This kind of defensive response is typical of a dependent, addictive personality.
    There are risks to almost anything in life. Play it safe if you want to. Just leave other folks alone if they make other choices. Your words are a bunch of the same self-righteous bs that myself and others have to constantly endure. Sorry if I'm sick of it after 40 years.

You just want people to stay out of your business when it comes to your characteristic of being substance-oriented.
    Bingo! Give the man a cigar.

This is so much a part of who you are that you take any statement to the contrary as being an attack on your ability to survive.
    Read your original post.

Truth is, it's a crutch you've learned to lean on because you're not happy with who you are (as evidenced in your need to emulate your brother).
    I love this. You don't even know me. How dare you accuse me of being unhappy with who I am? You are pretty doggone full of yourself.

Also, news flash . . . I emulated my big brother when I was 12. It was hero worship. I am very happy with myself and very well adjusted. I just don't feel the burning need to proselytize to others about things that they do that I don't.

What makes you think I use cannabis?
    I assumed you use cannabis, because this is a cannabis forum. If you don't, then I was wrong to assume that, however, I guarantee that you have your vices too. Everyone does.

Here's something. A website where down at the bottom you can calculate how much money your spent on cigarettes over the years. I know the price has changed alot in 40 years. Today's price for a pack is about 8 bucks according to the prices I've seen in my local store. One pack a day costs the smoker almost 3,000 dollars a year. Yes, three grand.
    The Psychology of Smoking - Tobacco Addiction
    Been rolling my own for years. Costs a fraction of the manufactured cigs and doesn't have any additives. Again, if you want stuff, you have to pay for it.

Good Job BB!:thumbsup: Hell Yeah! I agree with you 100%! I am so tired of people who think they have the right to tell me what to do. Jimi Hendrix said it best in "If 6 was 9",
    "I'm the one thats gonna die
    when its time for me to die.
    So let me live my life,
    the way I want to."
    The way I see it, everything you abuse is bad for you, whether it be chain smoking cig's or eating too many freaking bananas!
    I smoke and have been for years myself, but I smoke moderately and eat right and work hard. My Doctor is always impressed with my health for my age too.
    I could quit smoking, but I dont want to. I know that If I do I will gain weight, raise my cholesterol, increase my heart rate and blood pressure, and then one night after passionate lovemaking, die from complications of being overweight! Fuck that!

Quote Originally Posted by fitbodyjilugo
    Many a movie scenes show off heroines and heroes smoking cigarettes and appear godly. Many of the youngsters find it cool and amazing. But they do not realize the truth that follows smoking cigarettes. They seldom realize that cigarettes are eating away their bodies. Cigarettes steal away their chances of becoming good athletes because smoking causes short of breath and reduces stamina. Cigarettes also make them stinky and smell of tobacco.

The probability of Teenage smoking is high if their parents smoke. Some youngsters also feel that cigarettes make them look heroic, older and attractive. Some teenagers think that smoking helps them concentrate and remain stress free.

The chemicals in tobacco stimulate the brain and release natural sedatives which affect the personā??s mood. Tobacco is highly addictive especially in the form of smoke because it delivers high doses of nicotine directly to the brain. They get used to smoking at particular situations.

Smokers are tenfold more likely to get develop heart disease, lung disease, stroke or major heart attack. They are also more susceptible to develop diabetes. Smoking causes cancer of the throat, lungs and the mouth. Smoking also may lead to infertility. Smoking makes the probability of conception lesser for women smokers. It also reduces the sperm count in men. In case of smoking mothers, tobacco harms not only the mother but also the baby. Smoking also reduces blood circulation which may lead to gangrene or amputation of limbs in extreme cases.

It is extremely important that youngsters be properly educated about the harms of smoking before they fall prey to this silent killer.
    yeah, but its legal:wtf:

Give me a cigar? Please... that's tobacco.
    Go ahead and smoke. It's not a matter of my being self-righteous. Just view that kind of dependent behavior as being pointless. I'll take the bananas any day. The funny thing about smokers is they usually agree that they need to quit... right up to the point where it looks to them like they're being criticized for their behavior. Once that happens they get defensive and tell others to back off, they can do what they want. Seems like a life of conflict, but that is the nature of addiction whether it's tobacco or alcohol or heroin.
    I honestly don't think I have any vices. I don't do anything or use any substance (not even a food) in an excessive manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast