Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1688 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Thinking outside the box

For some reason I was watching The Tudors and it struck me how much absolute power and support the king had those days. I started thinking how amazing leadership went from being the leader of your gang, to maybe your tribe, to a city, to a whole country, being addressed as "your majesty".

Then I started thinking that there really wasn't a lot of difference but size between a king asking for taxes and an armed gang asking for protection money.

I love how I get to think things that you normally take for granted.
    madthethinker Reviewed by madthethinker on . Thinking outside the box For some reason I was watching The Tudors and it struck me how much absolute power and support the king had those days. I started thinking how amazing leadership went from being the leader of your gang, to maybe your tribe, to a city, to a whole country, being addressed as "your majesty". Then I started thinking that there really wasn't a lot of difference but size between a king asking for taxes and an armed gang asking for protection money. I love how I get to think things that you Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Thinking outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by madthethinker
    For some reason I was watching The Tudors and it struck me how much absolute power and support the king had those days. I started thinking how amazing leadership went from being the leader of your gang, to maybe your tribe, to a city, to a whole country, being addressed as "your majesty".

Then I started thinking that there really wasn't a lot of difference but size between a king asking for taxes and an armed gang asking for protection money.

Great Series. I saw every episode. You're right in that Henry set in motion a lot things that we are the result of today. Henry was an enigma. Its said that syphilis is what started making him wacko. But hey, all the king had to do was point his finger, and you were it fair damsel!!! :S2:

Thinking outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by madthethinker

true. one could argue that all taxes are really not much more than protection money from the mob. :detective1: :stoned:
    [align=center]:s4:
    bring \'em all home.

[/align]

Thinking outside the box

In the Moon is Harsh Mistress Heinlin talks about how the way the people think a government is run is mostly a myth how in other ages it was the divine right of kings and now the myth is democracy.

Thinking outside the box

we are children of freedom and we should keep it that way man rise up

Thinking outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by 79lostinspace79
    we are children of freedom and we should keep it that way man rise up
    your freedom is an illusion.

Thinking outside the box

I like the story of King Henry VIII. What I think is funny is that he is most known for the separation of the the Roman Catholic Churce from the state of England.

He just wanted a son. He would change legislation every time something stood in his way. All he accomplished was borne out of a desire for an heir. Which never happened, his only son died at 15, which was actually two years after he died.