Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1599 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

any pro dog trainers?

I have a pit that is very territorial but is a horrible guard dog. Do you guys know of a to train my dog not to bark and growl but without discouraging him from bark and growl at strangers. he is well socialized and wouldn't hurt a fly but when a male friend came over he wouldn't listen to me that he was a friend. He warmed up to other guys, both my brothers and three male friends. Even when i picked him up he showed hostility to me both quickly warmed up when he got to go for a car ride. But I don't want to discourage him from it either.
    captainendoe Reviewed by captainendoe on . any pro dog trainers? I have a pit that is very territorial but is a horrible guard dog. Do you guys know of a to train my dog not to bark and growl but without discouraging him from bark and growl at strangers. he is well socialized and wouldn't hurt a fly but when a male friend came over he wouldn't listen to me that he was a friend. He warmed up to other guys, both my brothers and three male friends. Even when i picked him up he showed hostility to me both quickly warmed up when he got to go for a car ride. But I Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

any pro dog trainers?

It's going to be very difficult to teach a dog that barking/growling is permissible in certain situations, but not permissible in others. Good luck though

any pro dog trainers?

O.K. friends, I AM SHOCKED!! Seems like we use to have alot of people in here that CLAIMED to be dog trainers. Or, at least that is what they said-are they all in jail now; for being capitalistic growers instead??

I don't see any problem bonding with your dog. It has been my experience (over 30+ years with pets); I bond with them and they seem to know when someone has bad intentions with you. You need to have a loving fun pet, that isn't afraid to tell you when someone has 'bad intentions.' Once, I got rid of my dog, instead of the person he didn't like! I learned a big lesson-the dog knows best. Trust your pet, they only want what is good for you. They seem to have a sense about people. Unfortunately, my present little dog is 2 years old and all of nine pounds. Has no fear. When I take her for walks, she trys to stick her tiny little snout inside a chain link fence-inside a growling pit bull's mouth today! No fear! Yet, she is very protective of me around some people. She wakes me up some nights, jumping on me, growling and bouncing up and down. Case in point, last summer (June) she woke me up to hear someone trying to lift the screen out of an open window. Then barked toward the other end of house. Next day, discovered someone had tried to cave in the garage door (I had a wedge under the door knob) splintered the door jamb. Dog barking must have scared them off. I couldn't hear it for her barking! I'd say: Best thing to do, is trust your dog and spoil it rotten, don't let others spoil it! Your pet will stand up for you, when you don't know any better! IMHO (how do you like that Dutch-I remembered what it means: considering I have been gone for a long time-have a stalker, can't seem to shake. But, the little dog, prevents a lot of bull).
    When your dogs bonds to you, they have manners with your true friends. Mine have always been friendly and when people have stopped by to visit, when I am not home, I have had reports they barked and protected the home-their castle, not mine!

any pro dog trainers?

I have a pit that is very territorial but is a horrible guard dog. Do you guys know of a to train my dog not to bark and growl but without discouraging him from bark and growl at strangers. he is well socialized and wouldn't hurt a fly but when a male friend came over he wouldn't listen to me that he was a friend. He warmed up to other guys, both my brothers and three male friends. Even when i bought him he showed hostility to me but quickly warmed up when he got to go for a car ride. But I don't want to discourage him from it either.
    edited