Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1601 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Origin of the term stoned (slang)

Because I got stoned, and I like to make pipes out of stone, I was wonder how the term stoned came to become associated with smoking cannabis-marijuana-marihuana. In my search of the term I found that it was first used in 1952. Hummmmm, the Beat Generation, the Beatniks, Ginsburg, Beatniks, Dobie Gillis and Maynard G. Krebs.

So, I hypothesize, that the term stems from smoking cannabis through a stone pipe. I'm basing this hypothesis on the knowledge that back in the old days, before there was glass out the ass, stoners smoked through metal or stone pipes. Hense, the term, let's go get stoned, meaning, let's go smoke some cannabis, hashish through a pipe. Knowing how all generations like to coin their own slang, this was how it began in da lingo. :clap:

And it celebration of that wonderful creative expression that directly relates to the ingesting of the magical smoke we all know to love along with it giver, the cannabis plant, indica, sativa, and ruteralis, I give you from two of our earlier stoners............ imp:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa2fJVWhiIA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijN4Lt5c10[/YoUTUBE]

Stoned - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    gypski Reviewed by gypski on . Origin of the term stoned (slang) Because I got stoned, and I like to make pipes out of stone, I was wonder how the term stoned came to become associated with smoking cannabis-marijuana-marihuana. In my search of the term I found that it was first used in 1952. Hummmmm, the Beat Generation, the Beatniks, Ginsburg, Beatniks, Dobie Gillis and Maynard G. Krebs. So, I hypothesize, that the term stems from smoking cannabis through a stone pipe. I'm basing this hypothesis on the knowledge that back in the old days, before Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I would have figured "stoned" referred to the effects of the high.. usually, when people get really high they act like rocks and cant move/talk, or get really lazy..

just my thought.

I have heard getting stoned from the 1920's and 1930's reffering to drinking.
    It's in alot of three stooges film shorts from that time and a few old movies on AMC channel. It goes way back.

My oldest brother used to call me Maynard G. Krebs as an insult but I never took it that way as Bob Denver is one of my all time comics.

How about the new kids calling it "Gettin Twisted" ?

Me and my friends in the day used to call it "let's get Fried"
    Reffering to This is your brain on drugs comercials with the egg in a frying pan. They did so much to make smoking funny.

Nowadays my friends are dead or moved on because of jobs So all that's left is to "get burnt".
    It's along the same lines as " The Lone Rider gets alittle Higher "

Quote Originally Posted by LOC NAR on probation
    Nowadays my friends are dead or moved on because of jobs So all that's left is to "get burnt".
    Been there, Doing that....
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_fys24FCk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by LOC NAR on probation
    I have heard getting stoned from the 1920's and 1930's reffering to drinking.
    It's in alot of three stooges film shorts from that time and a few old movies on AMC channel. It goes way back.

My oldest brother used to call me Maynard G. Krebs as an insult but I never took it that way as Bob Denver is one of my all time comics.

How about the new kids calling it "Gettin Twisted" ?

Me and my friends in the day used to call it "let's get Fried"
    Reffering to This is your brain on drugs comercials with the egg in a frying pan. They did so much to make smoking funny.

In the beginning of my time, stoners were heads. But, we did call it getting stoned, and at one time, everybody had a soapstone or other type of non-metal pipe. They were used primarily back then for smoking hash, and we always, or mostly smoked joints. Occasionally bongs, and bowls with weed. :rasta:

When I got started, stoners were freaks (short for hippie freaks). :hippy:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    When I got started, stoners were freaks (short for hippie freaks). :hippy:
    I can only suppose that the term came from Jefferson Airplane's feed your head in White Rabbit!! And feeding your head was getting stoned/tripping!! :S2:

Maybe it that weed comes from the earth like stones as one with the earth or you can't move man

No one has suggested the ancient public torture method?

People would get stoned - literally stones thrown at them until they die - in the streets of civilizations as far back as the Roman Empire.

When they get stoned, they just lay there.... no?

I tried to google that up last 40min and i think best answer is this..

After doing a bit of research, it became evident to me that this is one of those words that has an unclear origin, even to etymologists!

Between 1950-55, the word "stoned" (as in literally stoned with rocks) started to be used in the context of "intoxicated" - as the battered and worn appearance/demeanour of someone who is stoned was apparently likened to the behaviour of someone who had physically been stoned!

The word "stoned" originates between 1475-85, literally meaning "pelted with stones".

Other less verified theories include:

- That it derives from the name of a 19th century alcoholic drink called "stone fence", which was a mixture of brandy and ale, which had intoxicating effects

- That it derives from the static nature of someone who is stoned (doing nothing like a stone)

At the end of the day - the word "stoned" does seem to relate to the word "stone" (i.e.
    [align=center][align=center]??It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.? [/align][/align]