Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1252 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Emmies Grow Log - White Widow

Quote Originally Posted by RAINHAZE
    ......I don't know for sure, but watering them with only a ¼ cup might not be quite enough. I read somewhere that it may cause the roots to turn up to reach the water. Don't let your overwatering episode scare ya..........
    That is a possibility. I tried to point out to Emmie that I live in WA State and that I have very high humidity. So in ?Texas? (not sure of flag) and with her lower humidity, she may well need to use more. Low humidity is not bad, the plants can transpire much more quickly and use more water, in this case a great way to get them up to snuff.

I don't think those pots are quite ready for dousing though with the size of the plants.

Growth has been delayed by all this but many folks, including Emmie and myself (on how to give advice better) are learning from this. These plants have turned the corner and will be fine now.

By Fimming, the side branches will grow faster allowing you to take clone cuttings from each. Once rooted the 'mother' can go to flower to positively identify sex. So Emmie will also need to learn how to clone.

As far as building the other item, least expensive other than PVC would be 1x2 furring strips from lowes or home depot. Also depends on tools avail. The furring strips are usually soft still and easy to cut and nail without splitting a lot. I use sheetrock screws tho with a drill.

Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder
    That is a possibility. I tried to point out to Emmie that I live in WA State and that I have very high humidity. So in ?Texas? (not sure of flag) and with her lower humidity, she may well need to use more. Low humidity is not bad, the plants can transpire much more quickly and use more water, in this case a great way to get them up to snuff.

I don't think those pots are quite ready for dousing though with the size of the plants.

Growth has been delayed by all this but many folks, including Emmie and myself (on how to give advice better) are learning from this. These plants have turned the corner and will be fine now.

By Fimming, the side branches will grow faster allowing you to take clone cuttings from each. Once rooted the 'mother' can go to flower to positively identify sex. So Emmie will also need to learn how to clone.

As far as building the other item, least expensive other than PVC would be 1x2 furring strips from lowes or home depot. Also depends on tools avail. The furring strips are usually soft still and easy to cut and nail without splitting a lot. I use sheetrock screws tho with a drill.
    My time to experiment is rapidly coming to an end here as school starts again next week. So, I went to Lowe's yesterday and got the PVC after searching the web extensively looking for warnings about using it in this application. I will send pictures when I get the SCRog table assembled as the lower half of this is going to take the place of the table I have in the grow tent now.

Regarding watering, I got one of those long probe moisture/light/ph meter things and have played with it to figure out what it was showing me. As of this morning I know that if I insert the probe part way into the pot, it appears dry, but if i push it all the way to the bottom, it is still moist. So, I wait to water. I have learned my lesson. When it shows dry all the way down to the bottom, then and only then, I will hit it again. I am still playing with the amount to give them. 1/4 cup seems to dry out pretty rapidly and 1/2 cup seems to get me about 3 days with consistent moisture throughout the pot. I am also rethinking the actual act of watering after seeing how the roots developed in the last pots. Up till now, when I watered I carefully tried to soak the middle of the pot all around the plant. So naturally, this is where the roots developed... straight down from the middle. I'm thinking now that this simple thing was also a mistake, and that I am going to start trying to spread the moisture out to the edges and let the roots move out to it, possibly allowing for more horizontal growth of the root system. So many little things to learn here!

Emmie

Today I wish to show my faithful readers a remarkable turnaround. I took special care in taking some good pictures so that you could clearly see what an incredible change 4 days has made. WW seems to be correct, these plants have turned the corner and now are thriving.

What have I learned? Leave them alone. Water only when they really need it. Don't stress.

Good tools make a big difference too. Good soil, good planter pots with proper drainage, a moisture meter and a hygrometer can make a huge difference. I find that the more completely that I have controlled the environment (light, heat, humidity and fresh air supply) the healthier they seem to become. I see proof in the forum that this can be done in a closet with a few lights strung up, but to get "great" results, I am now convinced that things must be done correctly.

Right now it has been 7 hours since I last commented on the amount to water these babies. The moisture meter still shows that the lower roots have access to moisture in the bottom third of these pots. I have not watered yet, nor will I until I see dry soil at the bottom. This moisture is still left over from almost 3 days ago with 1/4 cup of water.

The following pictures show the result of all this. Four days ago I changed to Happy Frog soil and transplanted. I drastically changed my watering schedule. I put them in a tent that allowed perfect control over light, heat and humidity. Four days ago these plants were dying. They were all yellowing and looking very sick. There was no deep green, and actually where they were not yellow or even turning purple, they showed more of a lime green.

I have added one additional picture today and am posting them all as attachments so you can get higher rez views of them. The additional picture is a wider view of the tent and the first attempt at building a combination planter table/SCRog screen. I will be putting a more sturdy lower base on this design in the next few days to accommodate larger/heavier planters, but other than that, I think this upper screen will work fine and the lower screen will be changed out with something heavier, but still allowing air flow through the table and liquid drip through to a run off container below.

I also want to make sure to thank everyone here for your input and suggestions that have allowed me to get to this point. Without your help, this would not be happening and I would by now be known as a plant murderer. Thank you! I am now confident that this is going to work! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Emmie

I used to be a Paramedic in real life

:thumbsup: Good job girl :thumbsup:

Today I am all smiles. All the plants are happy and apparently healthy. A remarkable amount of growth is happening at this point. All the main stems are noticeably thicker, almost a half inch of vertical growth has occurred and secondary leaves are now rapidly growing and extending out of the lower internodes. With the exception of the first leaves on #1, all the yellowed leaves have now filled back in with a deep and healthy looking green.

Unless something significant happens now, I am going to reduce my posting rate to about every other day as I begin to prepare for the new college semester to begin next week. Right now we will wait for the 4th internode to show and watch for the plants to start to mature. I will be taking clones at that point and we will also be doing a FIM operation on each of them. Stay tuned, there is still a lot of learning opportunities to happen in the next month and thankfully we have been able to get to this point.

Here are today's pictures!
    Emmie

Emmie your doing fine
    looks like you might be having an nitrogen problem starting
    I would feed them a little bit of organic tea
    mmmmmm they will love you for it
    peace
    stickydankAZ
    everything posted here is false not true or faked...
    said in a Joke

Quote Originally Posted by stickydankAZ
    Emmie your doing fine
    looks like you might be having an nitrogen problem starting
    I would feed them a little bit of organic tea
    mmmmmm they will love you for it
    peace
    stickydankAZ
    If you had bothered to read any of this you would see she is recovering from an overdose issue. You got any idea what you are doing?

The plants look Like the new growth is healthy the leaves are lifting up and perky I made my choice on the apperance of the color of the leaves.
    I didnt read my bad.... there i slapped my own hand thanks for the Jab or punch ouch.. I do grow alot too and organic tea is fine too use/ if you know how too.....
    everything posted here is false not true or faked...
    said in a Joke

Quote Originally Posted by stickydankAZ
    The plants look Like the new growth is healthy the leaves are lifting up and perky I made my choice on the apperance of the color of the leaves.
    I didnt read my bad.... there i slapped my own hand thanks for the Jab or punch ouch.. I do grow alot too and organic tea is fine too use/ if you know how too.....
    I do appreciate the help Sticky, but please go to msg #103 to see the true color of the leaves under an incandescent light. I think that the red/blue combination in the grow tent washes out some of the green with my cheap camera. Not more than a week ago, I did see lockout happening here and I have that yellowish look now written indelibly in my brain. I still see traces of it in some of the lower leaves here but I think without knowing the camera/lighting situation it is quite hard to go by the color in a picture. This was exactly why I brought them out to an incandescent light yesterday so that everyone could clearly see the turnaround we have made in the last 5 days.

Emmie

you know I think this thread has the most views and post's for plants no bigger then say 6 -7inches?-lol, your doing a good job keeping up w/ it though, and they look happy...I'm sure you cant wait to get some "meat" on them.

11.   Advertisements

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast