Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1684 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Emmies Grow Log - White Widow

Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder
    I will watch to see how the sexing went. Makes me proud to see someone trying this on their own.
    I am curious if you agree with my conclusions on the sex based on these pictures WW. Please feel free to correct or criticize... I am here to learn and wish to use this grow log to give support to your theory.

Please check the album for some more views on all 4 stem systems with better labeling than was used in the first attempt.

Emmie's Album

Emmie

2.   Advertisements

Hey I just realized my grow is only like 5 days ahead of yours!!

I used MG too and I think I have the same nutrient burn. Its like a yellow spotting?

Its awesome watching our grows side by side.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by AngelFish
    Hey I just realized my grow is only like 5 days ahead of yours!!

I used MG too and I think I have the same nutrient burn. Its like a yellow spotting?

Its awesome watching our grows side by side.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
    This is going to be fun then! No, i don't have yellow spotting... look in that last picture i posted. Down at the very tip of the leaf at the bottom of the picture you see a brown tip. That was enough to convince me that the advice I was getting about not adding nutes to MG were right on. I have seen no other signs of damage from my mistake, but then again I didn't hit it very hard with the nutes either, and it was also the MG 24-8-16 All purpose mix too.. so probably pretty close to what was already in that soil.

Emmie

24-8-16....wow that is hotter than chicken poop. Holey moley.

Do you by chance have someplace that sells Fox Farm Products? Look into the Ocean Forest. By using that I have virtually eliminated giving nutes by repotting on a 4 week schedule. I only give specific nutes to specific plants after the 21 day of flower. WW in particular needs very little it burns very easily.

As far as the identification(s). Looking in your album the only one I am positive on is the first pic. Some of the ones you labeled male could possibly be female, you may try topping them after the 3rd internode which I find tends to promote feminism. Also, pictures just don't cut it as much as being able to rotate the little pot. The dark reddish ones are in my mind positively female. There is one that is very green and I am pretty sure that one is male....

First pic in the post..."runt" of the pack, may indeed be your best plant out of the bunch, I believe female The other three I just am not positive on, I think due to the not in real life, the third I would lean female.

So part of what I am saying is this is still too much in theory, the only one I am positive on if one can be is the first pic both in the album and here.

Don't go out and buy a bunch of fertilizer....See if you can get Fox Farm stuff where you are. A bag of OF costs me about $14 here in WA. Well worth the money for the results I get. Then if you feel you must fertilize they have a whole line that works in unison with the potting mixes they have.

Angelfish Sounds like it to me, same advice to you.

Is you soil the 3 month formula or the 6 month?

Miracle grow 6 month has an initial nitrogen release upon first waterings. It's a little 'kick-start' but is a tad strong for seedlings. This should last the plant about two weeks before the next release, which I believe is an even release (somewhat) of all 3 nutrients. (N-P-K)

If growing a sensitive strain, an initial soil flush of 3 times the volume of the pot (with properly ph'd water) before planting can help flush the initial nitrogen. Let the soil dry-out a bit before using it for the seedlings. Over-saturated soil can kill seedlings.

Don't overwater. Keep a fan on the little darlings. The breeze will help minimize the stretch. If they get too lanky, they'll need supports, or you can look-up the "Seedling Stretch Fix" thread I did a while back. (burying the plant up to it's cotyledons, which are the initial round leaves)

1/8 tsp MG All Purpose per gallon of water, once a week, maximum. Remember, the soil has nutrients already.

A couple weeks before your switch to 12/12 lighting, do your final transplant. This will help burn-off some of that nitrogen before the switch, and the stretch will be less severe.

Although MG is a solid soil, there are better ones out there. MG liquids are soild, but are a bit severe and offer no flexibility. Start looking at what others are having success with, and start planning on purchasing those products as soon as possible. (soils, nutrients, unsulfered molasses...)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome
    Is you soil the 3 month formula or the 6 month?

Although MG is a solid soil, there are better ones out there. MG liquids are soild, but are a bit severe and offer no flexibility. Start looking at what others are having success with, and start planning on purchasing those products as soon as possible. (soils, nutrients, unsulfered molasses...):
    ostgood:

I have the 6 month soil Rusty. It does seem to have a bit of an initial kick to it, and I have definitely seen that the plants are right on the edge of having too much of a nutrient kick in the beginning. Anything extra is way too much!

Do you by chance have someplace that sells Fox Farm Products? Look into the Ocean Forest.
    I will look into that for the next grow... sounds a lot more stable than using such a volatile product such as MG.

As far as the identification(s). Looking in your album the only one I am positive on is the first pic. There is one that is very green and I am pretty sure that one is male....
    :lovestruck:

As I stare at the little babies I feel the same way about this if I am understanding your theory correctly. The runt is clearly showing an almost uniformly red trunk, clearly female. The top grower, featured below in an 8th day picture is all green... clearly male. The other two, I go back and forth on... there is some red in the trunks with large streches of green, one more than the other. Those two could go either way with my guess being the one with the most coloring turning out to be female. If this grow ends up being 1 boy with 3 girls, you are going to see me do a happy dance!

Emmie

After the first couple days, they can change. Males do tend to stretch more after the first set of true leaves than the females do....Not talking cotyledons, true leaves. They have a long way to go before really needing to be concerned about them for sex, for now just growing health plants without 'over loving' them.

Hey Emmie! I use MG soil too and it does present it's own problems, but as you get used to it, it works ok....I have never been able to find FF in my area of the world, or the nutes that go with it, so I have no experience with it....however, I have been using MG for a few years now and here's some things I've noticed...

1) It's too high a ph coming out of the bag...I use dolomite lime, water, and time to overcome this...I mix my soils up nearly a month before I will use them...
    2) it does have too much N for seedlings and again, I water and use lime and time to overcome this, or go buy a seedling mix that's not so hot.
    3) you use the exact same mix I do and adding ANY nutes is not needed for quite awhile, and if your transplanting regularly, you may not need to add any at all except in certain individual plants, but as soon as mine have roots down I add in small amounts until I "read" that the plants have all they can possibly use and if I add any more, I will have problems... I push the envelope to the max...you'll get this the more you grow and "read" your plants. I also use a seedling mix not nearly as hot for clones and seedlings.
    4) WW, who is indeed a wonder, is right, we use a hot hot mix, so don't use that cute little green spoon MG gives you, but use MUCH smaller amounts if adding anything at all...as you gain experience, you'll get a good feel for how much and when to add what.
    5) I'm lazy, and don't want to water as often as I should, so I modify the MG stuff with pearlite, vermiculite, and dolomite lime, until I get it like I want it to be...LOL! That means I don't have to water but every 3 days or so...being the lazy azz I am!

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by TANKJR
    Hey Emmie! I use MG soil too and it does present it's own problems, but as you get used to it, it works ok....I have never been able to find FF in my area of the world, or the nutes that go with it, so I have no experience with it....however, I have been using MG for a few years now and here's some things I've noticed...

1) It's too high a ph coming out of the bag...I use dolomite lime, water, and time to overcome this...I mix my soils up nearly a month before I will use them...
    2) it does have too much N for seedlings and again, I water and use lime and time to overcome this, or go buy a seedling mix that's not so hot.
    3) you use the exact same mix I do and adding ANY nutes is not needed for quite awhile, and if your transplanting regularly, you may not need to add any at all except in certain individual plants, but as soon as mine have roots down I add in small amounts until I "read" that the plants have all they can possibly use and if I add any more, I will have problems... I push the envelope to the max...you'll get this the more you grow and "read" your plants. I also use a seedling mix not nearly as hot for clones and seedlings.
    4) WW, who is indeed a wonder, is right, we use a hot hot mix, so don't use that cute little green spoon MG gives you, but use MUCH smaller amounts if adding anything at all...as you gain experience, you'll get a good feel for how much and when to add what.
    5) I'm lazy, and don't want to water as often as I should, so I modify the MG stuff with pearlite, vermiculite, and dolomite lime, until I get it like I want it to be...LOL! That means I don't have to water but every 3 days or so...being the lazy azz I am!

I hope this helps!
    I hope everyone using MG reads this. It is the first post I have ever seen with actual knowledge of how to use MG if you don't have a choice. Awesome post Tank:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by TANKJR
    4) WW, who is indeed a wonder, is right, we use a hot hot mix, so don't use that cute little green spoon MG gives you, but use MUCH smaller amounts if adding anything at all...as you gain experience, you'll get a good feel for how much and when to add what
    And if you use MG All Purpose long enough, you'll read the directions which say the dilution rate is for a 10 day to 2 week period, not weekly. (cut indicated dilution rate in half for weekly feedings, and go from there)

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast