Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1552 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by gypski
    These took about 4 hours or so each to make. Its a fairly hard catlinite. Part of the block I got has a contact area where its really, really hard. I've had softer, but these weight 85, 80, 79 grams. And they're much harder then soap stone.
    I think I'll spend the dough and buy one that's already made . . . otherwise I foresee lost digits

I've been surfing for them this morning and there are some really awesome sculptured pipes out there. I bit pricey, but definitely look bad ass.

I think that's very cool that you make your own. :thumbsup:

2.   Advertisements

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    I think I'll spend the dough and buy one that's already made . . . otherwise I foresee lost digits

I've been surfing for them this morning and there are some really awesome sculptured pipes out there. I bit pricey, but definitely look bad ass.

I think that's very cool that you make your own. :thumbsup:
    Some of the Native American made one's are awesome and pricey. Some on the net, I've seen for a few years. And the one's from some of the online headshops are way over priced for what they are. Sweatshop made!!!

My price for these is $40.00. to cannabis.com. imp:

Billion Years

Nice works Gypski, I like your choice of a ancient medium to make the pipes out of. The most I have made was a coconut chalice, got the coconut at the Latino market (most of the coconuts I see in supermarkets are unsuitable), chopped down the bamboo with my machete but I bought the kutchie (bowl piece) it was handmade though, I would have made the kutchie but but the only person I know with kiln access a Sculptor named Ming Fay (can probably find his art online) I haven't seen in about a decade so felt a little weird showing up not knowing if he would remember me or not to request access. Shame too because I know where to harvest fresh clay, some cool shit too, it is a Grey color but fires to a really nice red from the iron content I believe.

Anyways, cracked my Coconut some time ago and haven't gotten around to crafting again, always busy with something it seems, plus some of the antique tools I have collected over the years have been lost, so I am doing my work with not-my-first-tool-choices.

here's a pic of a random coconut chalice I just googled, new computer so don't got any pix of mines on it..

edit:: oops first upload attempt failed, adding another pic too, I want to figure out how stands like these are made. I just use a cast iron thingamajig (wow spellchecker didn't even flag that word!) that I found in this old dilapidated house years ago at a colonial village tourist destination. We started walking through the woods and found out there were all these old crumbling foundations from the original village, the tourist site was just all new constructions and some restored ones too, where we went was, out of bounds so to speak

Billion Years

Awesome pieces guys! How would one go about getting you that $40?

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by budlover13
    Awesome pieces guys! How would one go about getting you that $40?

send me an e-mail [email protected] and we can make arrangements. :thumbsup:

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by RedLocks
    Nice works Gypski, I like your choice of a ancient medium to make the pipes out of. The most I have made was a coconut chalice, got the coconut at the Latino market (most of the coconuts I see in supermarkets are unsuitable), chopped down the bamboo with my machete but I bought the kutchie (bowl piece) it was handmade though, I would have made the kutchie but but the only person I know with kiln access a Sculptor named Ming Fay (can probably find his art online) I haven't seen in about a decade so felt a little weird showing up not knowing if he would remember me or not to request access. Shame too because I know where to harvest fresh clay, some cool shit too, it is a Grey color but fires to a really nice red from the iron content I believe.

Anyways, cracked my Coconut some time ago and haven't gotten around to crafting again, always busy with something it seems, plus some of the antique tools I have collected over the years have been lost, so I am doing my work with not-my-first-tool-choices.

here's a pic of a random coconut chalice I just googled, new computer so don't got any pix of mines on it..

edit:: oops first upload attempt failed, adding another pic too, I want to figure out how stands like these are made. I just use a cast iron thingamajig (wow spellchecker didn't even flag that word!) that I found in this old dilapidated house years ago at a colonial village tourist destination. We started walking through the woods and found out there were all these old crumbling foundations from the original village, the tourist site was just all new constructions and some restored ones too, where we went was, out of bounds so to speak
    Different medium that's for sure with those coconuts!!! Goes to show people will smoke out of just about anything!! :lol5:

Billion Years

This has gotten my mind working. I'm trying to think of a unique medium now.

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by gypski
    Different medium that's for sure with those coconuts!!! Goes to show people will smoke out of just about anything!! :lol5:
    might have been different at some point but Rastas across the world have been using these and ones like the next attachment for a very long time. Both are called chalice or chalwa (chillums/kutchies are sometimes also referred to in this manner), you'll often hear references to the before mentioned terms in Reggae music, most people got no idea what it means, just that it has something to do with Ganja.(see Ras Trent lol)

Some people use rubber tubing in the construction but of course the use of rubber piping is discouraged as it is not natural. They aren't really "recreational" smoking devices, rather ceremonial for lack of a better term.

The "kutchie" part is basically a chillum affixed onto the body of the pipe , a smoking device introduced to the Caribbean by Coolies (indentured servants of Indian heritage brought in to work the plantations) Actually many parts of Indian culture and their religions influenced the Caribbean culture and even found it's way into the Rastafari movement.

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by RedLocks
    might have been different at some point but Rastas across the world have been using these and ones like the next attachment for a very long time. Both are called chalice or chalwa (chillums/kutchies are sometimes also referred to in this manner), you'll often hear references to the before mentioned terms in Reggae music, most people got no idea what it means, just that it has something to do with Ganja.(see Ras Trent lol)

Some people use rubber tubing in the construction but of course the use of rubber piping is discouraged as it is not natural. They aren't really "recreational" smoking devices, rather ceremonial for lack of a better term.

The "kutchie" part is basically a chillum affixed onto the body of the pipe , a smoking device introduced to the Caribbean by Coolies (indentured servants of Indian heritage brought in to work the plantations) Actually many parts of Indian culture and their religions influenced the Caribbean culture and even found it's way into the Rastafari movement.
    I'm thinking of making a couple chillums. Matter of fact, got one drilled, just need to shape it. Lazy, chair lock, Holiday blahs...............:S2:

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by budlover13
    This has gotten my mind working. I'm trying to think of a unique medium now.
    I'll just warn you now and save you some time, mashed potatoes don't work very well. :stoned:

Although you can create a reasonable model of a mountain . . .

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast