Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1610 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Billion Years

Don't worry about slow. I have to set up my drill press, and that entails putting it back together!!! So. March or so... Yeah on my web page you can find it @ my profile. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by BurningLizard
    OK cool I'v got some lignum vitae that will go great with that. Work slow. My funds just took a detour and I wont have the extra cash till 2/25.

I thought I saw that you had A shopping kart site some ware,....ware?

Billion Years

Mine is darker then most. I oiled it and I have quite a few pieces this similar size that I can use. an look for a nice grain or pattern. the reds that may show are from iron, the white is calcium carbonate I believe and its not a very good cement. Anyway, here it is...two shots same stone. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by gypski
    I'll take a photo of a piece tomorrow that I'll sand down to finished state. But, it compares favorably with the colors here at the link. scroll down to the greenish ones but my has more white veins or lines. :thumbsup:

Soapstone carvings-Bears

Billion Years

Quote Originally Posted by gypski
    I probably have a couple hundred bucks in tools that I use for pipes. I have had most of them for years from carpentry. The biggest expense was the drill press, $100.00. Then you need the little items like sandpaper (a variety pack will do for a single pipe), hacksaw with blades, a double rasp (course,fine), drill of some kind, and imagination. There are blanks you can buy from some site, I don't think they are pre-drilled. If my stone wasn't as hard as it is, I'd send you a drilled blank for free and the cost of postage, but its too hard for a first one. After all that, not really all that much.

Remember, the Native Americans drilled theirs with stone drill bits, and cut them with sinew coated with sandy grit. Then polished and finished them by rubbing with sand from the river banks.

If you give it a try, I'll help you along the way as long as I'm around, and I don't plan on totally disappearing!!! I hope I answered your question. :thumbsup:

As an after thought, you might want to get some soap stone and make one first to get a feel for it. Here is where I get my stone, and I've gotten the steatite too.

Steatite Carving Stone from Rockman
    Well thanks again man I really appreciate all of this. I looked into stone pipes a year back and saw that people mention to try out soap stone first since it's a softer type of rock. But yeah it'll be a long time before I can get the money for all of this but I'm sure slowly overtime I can get everything that I need.

Billion Years

When I get set up again, I'll make a blank for you of steatite. It may be a little while, but I'll drill the two holes and leave it like that. You can shape or carve it....smoke out of it!!! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by KyleIsNorml
    Well thanks again man I really appreciate all of this. I looked into stone pipes a year back and saw that people mention to try out soap stone first since it's a softer type of rock. But yeah it'll be a long time before I can get the money for all of this but I'm sure slowly overtime I can get everything that I need.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011