Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1465 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bible versus about pot

I've got to say that the Bible versus that have been quoted about pot have me wondering. The ones I have seen quoted say things like God put all seeds, herbs and plants here for man's consumption and sustenance. Yet there are other plants such as tobacco, opium etc. that are here and can be harmful to us... So I personally don't think these versus can be used as justification...

As a Christian, I personally think moderation in all things is a key and I have to be careful as to how much and when I am using marijuana.

What say you?
    Angler Reviewed by Angler on . Bible versus about pot I've got to say that the Bible versus that have been quoted about pot have me wondering. The ones I have seen quoted say things like God put all seeds, herbs and plants here for man's consumption and sustenance. Yet there are other plants such as tobacco, opium etc. that are here and can be harmful to us... So I personally don't think these versus can be used as justification... As a Christian, I personally think moderation in all things is a key and I have to be careful as to how much Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Bible versus about pot

Old school irish catholic here, im staying nuetral on the translations of scripture but heres two things to think about, one, anthrax is natural, idk if thats is exactly here to nurish us and, two, acoording to the book the evil twin also provides us w evil tempts too... Im interested to see where this thread goes. Im sure itll make for a good debate.

Bible versus about pot

Man, I don't know. But those older bibles with the thin pages provide a great source of emergency rolling papers, so . . . :stoned:

"What are you smoking man?"

"Revelations."

Bible versus about pot

Quote Originally Posted by Angler
    I've got to say that the Bible versus that have been quoted about pot have me wondering. The ones I have seen quoted say things like God put all seeds, herbs and plants here for man's consumption and sustenance. Yet there are other plants such as tobacco, opium etc. that are here and can be harmful to us... So I personally don't think these versus can be used as justification...

As a Christian, I personally think moderation in all things is a key and I have to be careful as to how much and when I am using marijuana.

What say you?
    The Torah (esp. Exodus 34:6-7) commands observant Jews to treat the ill and injured with compassion, which argues strongly in support of medical cannabis in cases where conventional treatment has become ineffective, or where mmj is the treatment of choice. AFAIK, that is the position of all major Jewish organizations in America. At the same time, Halacha (Jewish law) is also pretty set against drunkenness and intoxication, so the recreational use of mj to get stoned is severely frowned on.

Halacha also puts a lot of credence in human law where it does not conflict with what's in the Torah. If secular law prohibits mj, then one must have strong justification to defy the law. Where it is legal or quasi-legal, such as exists now in Cali since the Governator signed the decriminalization law, there's a lot more grey area.

As for worshiping mj as the "tree of life" that I heard on NatGeo's "Drugs, Inc", no Rabbinical Council is likely to subscribe to that nonsense. OTOH, Genesis 1:29 does say "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

Elsewhere in Genesis and in Psalms more is written about plants and foods being for human consumption. There are strict injunctions about eating unclean animals and parts of animals, but I don't recall any injunction against specific plants. When the Torah was written mj may well not have been known in that part of the world. After all, the earliest records of mj in archeological finds are only about 2700 years old.

I'm no Rabbi, though, so treat my comments with reservation...

Bible versus about pot

Hmm. Those are some interesting points. I can see that, as in many other cases, the Bible can be twisted and turned into making it work out for your beliefs (including, oddly enough, a belief in divine rolling papers!)...

If the earlier archeological records date back 2700 years ago, and assuming it did grow somewhere in that part of the world, perhaps Jesus would have had something to say on the matter, but who knows...

Just curious if the Rastafarian religion uses Biblical quotes or are there written quotes from Haile Selassie that are referred to regarding marijuana use?

P.S. I really do know the difference between "versus" and "verses" -- I guess I hadn't had my coffee in the morning when I wrote this...

Bible versus about pot

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    Man, I don't know. But those older bibles with the thin pages provide a great source of emergency rolling papers, so . . . :stoned:

"Revelations."
    hah u must of been desprate i used high times magazine before but never bible:rastasmoke:

Bible versus about pot

Quote Originally Posted by Xyz505
    hah u must of been desprate i used high times magazine before but never bible:rastasmoke:
    I found it gave me a more "spiritual" high . . . :S2:

Bible versus about pot

..not sure about the exact wording, but even Jesus said; " It is not what goes into your mouth, but what comes out of it that makes you to sin."

No offence, but I find it to be alot better to be more spiritual than religious.
    Religions tend to make you feel guilty about a lot of stuff, whereas being more spiritual gives you a true peace and a better connection to God.

:thumbsup:

Bible versus about pot

I found it gave me a more "spiritual" high . . . :S2:
    Fuck man I love reading your posts,

Bible versus about pot

"Revelations."
    hehe, i can go one better, hollowed out an old bible and used it as a stash spot for my weed, however because i do believe some measure of respect should be shown to religious artifacts i felt it would be wrong to throw all the used pages in the bin, have them hidden in my desk drawer and i plan to smoke every last page.... so far im only halfway through genesis.... got a very long way to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast