Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1519 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Vermicomposting grow waste

I would like to know if anyone has used vermicomposting as a method of eliminating grow waste? (Leaves, stems, roots) If so, how successful was it? Did you use just the grow waste or did you add other food waste as well?

Thanks all!
    beginninghigh Reviewed by beginninghigh on . Vermicomposting grow waste I would like to know if anyone has used vermicomposting as a method of eliminating grow waste? (Leaves, stems, roots) If so, how successful was it? Did you use just the grow waste or did you add other food waste as well? Thanks all! Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I thought someone would have atleast tried. Oh well, I will be the first and post my results.

I compost all of my roots, stems and leaves after I let them dry out. Using the traditional compost method, I add both food scraps (greens) and carbon sources (browns) to balance the mixture. I treat the leaves, stems, and roots as a browns since they are dried to a crisp. Since the composter is indoors, I usually have ready to use compost in 6 weeks.

I see no problems with using wastes in vermicomposting. All the roots, stems and leaves still have nutrients locked within that can be reused. Any sort of composting is better than throwing out the materials. My plants respond very postive to the compost.