Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1509 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury Vapor and HPS Lighting

Hey All! I was wondering if a mercury vapor light that says M59 and 4H33 on it is basically stating it is compatible with Metal Halide and HPS bulbs? This may be a rudimentary question, but I am just learning about lighting.

I have been using fluoros, and have decided to make the switch to HPS for a primary lighting. I just received an offer from a guy to buy a couple HPS (so he says) lights for around 40 bucks. The only catch is that I will have to splice on some extra cord to plug the ballasts into my 110v outlet. That's no big deal, but I am wondering if maybe these aren't HPS lights at all?

The guy gave me the specs on the lights, and he said they are Day-Brite 400w ballasts with vertical reflectors (I will change these to a more enclosed, and more efficient horizontal reflector. When I went onto the Day Brite web site, it seems that these ballasts may be for mercury vapor (although I am not 100%).

So, my question: Would a Mercury Vapor ballast be labeled with the M59/H33, and not be able to use HPS bulbs? Would these ballasts not be as efficient in their light production with HPS bulbs?

The guy is going to send me a pic of the lights tomorrow night. I will see if he can send a pic of the whole light and one of the label that is on it. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to set up a great grow room, and a possible deal like this is too good to pass up. Oh yeah...he said he also has 4 extra bulbs he is going to throw in
    happymedicine Reviewed by happymedicine on . Mercury Vapor and HPS Lighting Hey All! I was wondering if a mercury vapor light that says M59 and 4H33 on it is basically stating it is compatible with Metal Halide and HPS bulbs? This may be a rudimentary question, but I am just learning about lighting. I have been using fluoros, and have decided to make the switch to HPS for a primary lighting. I just received an offer from a guy to buy a couple HPS (so he says) lights for around 40 bucks. The only catch is that I will have to splice on some extra cord to plug Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I should also add that the model# on the light (as per "the guy") is ul247n. I cant find much info about this light. I am thinking that maybe I did not write it down correctly?...

M59/H33

Googled result from M59/H33 inquiry...

Looks like they're metal halide. No you can't put a regular HPS bulb in 'em, but there are conversion bulbs that will give you more flexibility, albeit at a slightly lower effeciency. For flowering, you'll likely want those MH conversion bulbs. (it's a special bulb that converts your MH into an HPS spectrum)
    Conversion Bulbs

Could be that the cord issue is from:
    A) being formerly set-up to use 220 volt power supply. (has a different plug end) Using the lights with a vertical reflector, this is the likely reason.
    B) the previous cord being damaged.
    C) the ballast not working. (a sleezy sales technique. If the cord isn't there, you won't know it doesn't work till it's too late)

The 'extra' bulbs may be previously used.

Regardless, the price is pretty good, even if you'll need new capacitors and/or ignitors.

MH seems to run a little hotter, and is slightly less effecient, but I'd rather use MH than fluorescent's any old day. Too bad he doesn't have a couple of HPS's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome
    M59/H33

Googled result from M59/H33 inquiry...

Looks like they're metal halide. No you can't put a regular HPS bulb in 'em, but there are conversion bulbs that will give you more flexibility, albeit at a slightly lower effeciency. For flowering, you'll likely want those MH conversion bulbs. (it's a special bulb that converts your MH into an HPS spectrum)
    Conversion Bulbs

Could be that the cord issue is from:
    A) being formerly set-up to use 220 volt power supply. (has a different plug end) Using the lights with a vertical reflector, this is the likely reason.
    B) the previous cord being damaged.
    C) the ballast not working. (a sleezy sales technique. If the cord isn't there, you won't know it doesn't work till it's too late)

The 'extra' bulbs may be previously used.

Regardless, the price is pretty good, even if you'll need new capacitors and/or ignitors.

MH seems to run a little hotter, and is slightly less effecient, but I'd rather use MH than fluorescent's any old day. Too bad he doesn't have a couple of HPS's available.
    He said he cut them down from their place in his shop. I figured it was too good to be true. He is saying that he has about 3 of these lights, and I can have all of them for $40. The only problem is that I have no need for a 400w MH. I veg under fluoros and was going to flower under HPS. Oh well...guess I will keep looking around.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate knowing this before I spent my money on them, thinking they were HPS

Once you purchase the cords and the conversoin bulbs, likely you could get one crappy new HPS, but it's up to you. Personally, I'd get 'em anyway if I could use 'em. Heck of a price if they work.

Once you purchase the cords and the conversoin bulbs, likely you could get one crappy new HPS, but it's up to you. Personally, I'd get 'em anyway if I could use 'em. Heck of a price if they work.
    Well, the guy is going to send me some pics of the lights today. I am just figuring that after cord (about 2-5 dollars/ft) a conversion bulb (about $90) and a new reflector ($40-$70), my money could probably be better spent on an Craigslist or Ebay HPS light system that will run MH if necessary? Not to mention the time it would take to get the materials to fix the lights and the other supplies to run them for flowering. Kinda seems like it would be a headache that could potentially cause electrical hazards? But I am not totally sure, as I have never worked with these types of lights before.

When I get the pics, I will put them up and, if you feel like it, you can let me know if you think they would be worth it. I appreciate your time, Man

So, here are the lights that I am able to buy. I have looked on internet, and the few other sites have these up for sale as outdated parts (pretty cheap as well...around the same price, but they are not tested whether functional).
    So, I need HPS for my flowering, but these apparently take metal halide lights. I am wondering if you think they would be worthwhile to buy (again, all that is in the picture is around 40 dollars), or maybe I should just save that money and put it toward a decent used HPS(that I can use MH bulbs in if I veg again)? I am very indecisive on this matter, as I am pretty inexperienced as far as growing is concerned. Thanks again

In this case, I'd say it is best to have someone that knows their way around voltage. If you don't know what you're doing, I'd pass. Easy to do, but easy to screw-up, too.

Might be best to go with an HPS.

you want a separate ballast from the light fixture for horticulture purposes...those commercial lights are for warehouses & factories

I wouldn't bring into my house if they were free

Actually, I'd have no problems using the units he showed. Most HID's were designed for streets, warehouses and factories, but not all are rated for humid enviornments. And, it's a common style that I've personally seen in use by professional indoor gardeners. Less cords for a tidy growroom, and the bulbs run hotter than the ballast ever could, if heat is your concern. (heat doesn't sink) And if heat is a concern, you've already provided proper ventilation, no?

Made in America, rated for humid enviornments, commercial quality...I'd have no problems effectively using that set-up. Biggest problem I could see for most indoor gardeners is hangin' 'em and raising 'em. But...there's cheap hardware for that, too.

For a beginner, or someone without electronic ability...I'd go to E-Bay for a new package. Watch out for deals on new units that sound too good to be true. They are usually untrustworthy crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast