Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1583 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

idiots guide to american football

hey guys

im an israelli/australian, and as such i havent had much exposure to american football, i was back in israel a few years ago (moved to aus bout 20 years ago, so i occaisionally go back to visit family and friends), the night before i went back to australia was the superbowl, it was the patriots vs a team i cant remember (i think the pats won, but my memory of that nights a lil fuzzy),

anyways, i saw the superbowl, friggin loved it, when the game was explained to me i loved how much strategy was involved, but since this was a few years ago and i had a shitload of alcohol and weed (was in an american bar and whenever someone found out it was my first superbowl they bought me a drink gave me a drag, fucking love americans... especcially the chicks) ive forgotten pretty much everything since then.

would someone be able to give me a quck breakdown of the game and maybe provide links to a few sites where id be able to watch live games?
    GetDown Reviewed by GetDown on . idiots guide to american football hey guys im an israelli/australian, and as such i havent had much exposure to american football, i was back in israel a few years ago (moved to aus bout 20 years ago, so i occaisionally go back to visit family and friends), the night before i went back to australia was the superbowl, it was the patriots vs a team i cant remember (i think the pats won, but my memory of that nights a lil fuzzy), anyways, i saw the superbowl, friggin loved it, when the game was explained to me i loved how Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

This site is your best bet for the rules of play: NFL Beginner's Guide to Football

That same site has videos of different plays and highlights too.

As far as watching games on the internet, try these:

Justin.tv - Streaming live video broadcasts for everyone

sportzpal.net - Free Live Sports on your PC, Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL and more...

ATDHE.Net - Watch Free Live Sports TV

During the season those links get a lot of traffic depending on the teams. Sometimes the feeds work great and sometimes not so much.

Hope that helped. Glad you like American football. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    This site is your best bet for the rules of play: NFL Beginner's Guide to Football

That same site has videos of different plays and highlights too.

As far as watching games on the internet, try these:

Justin.tv - Streaming live video broadcasts for everyone

sportzpal.net - Free Live Sports on your PC, Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL and more...

ATDHE.Net - Watch Free Live Sports TV

During the season those links get a lot of traffic depending on the teams. Sometimes the feeds work great and sometimes not so much.

Hope that helped. Glad you like American football. I love it!
    I'm from the UK, and feel a bit left out when watching with mates. Is there a good place to get a quick rundown of how American football is going during the season? I went to NFL.com and could barely figure out who was playing!

Try and watch ESPN

Football in America: Copied from Football for Dummies..where I generally start::jointsmile: pr
    Understanding American Football's Downs, Yardage, and Stuff

The down system in American football keeps the game interesting. After all, if the offense kept running plays but never got anywhere, the sport would be really boring. Using the down system, the offense has four downs (essentially four plays) to go 10 yards. If the offensive team advances the ball at least 10 yards in four tries or fewer, the team receives another set of four downs.
    If the offense has failed to advance 10 yards after three tries, the team usually punts the ball on the fourth down (a punt is a kick to the opponent without the use of a tee). The other team then begins with its own set of four downs, traveling in the opposite direction.
    You may hear TV commentators use the phrase "three and out." What they mean is that a team has failed to advance the ball 10 yards on its first set of downs and has to punt the ball. You don't want your team to go three and out very often. But you do want to earn lots of first downs, which you get after your team advances the ball 10 yards or more in the allotted four downs. Getting lots of first downs usually translates to more scoring opportunities, which are definitely good things.
    Football has its own lingo to explain the offense's progress toward a first down. A first down situation is also known as a "first and 10" because the offense has 10 yards to go to gain a first down. If your offense ran a play on first down and you advanced the ball 3 yards, your status would be "second and 7"; you're ready to play the second down, and you now have 7 yards to go to gain a first down.
    As a viewer, you aren't expected to just remember what down it is and how many yards to go for a first down. Football makes it easy by providing people and signs to help you keep track:

• Two rodmen hold metal rods, with Xes at the top, connected by a chain that stretches exactly 10 yards. One rod marks where the possession begins, and the other extends to where the offensive team must go in order to make another first down.

• The third person, the boxman, holds a marker that signifies where the ball is and what down it is. Atop this rod is the number 1, 2, 3, or 4, designating which down it is.

• In all NFL stadiums, a person also marks where the drive began (that is, where the offensive team assumed possession of the ball). Many high school and college fields don't have these markers.

Whenever there's a critical measurement for a first down, the chain crew is brought to the hash marks nearest where the ball is positioned, and the officials use the rods to measure whether the offense has obtained a first down.
    Thanks to the miracle of technology, determining where a team has to advance the ball to get a first down is easier than ever if you're watching television. On the TV screen during a game, you'll see an electronic line down the middle of the field that marks where a team must go to get a first down.
    See also:

hello. tonight is the college football super bowl game. the money is on Notre Dame to beat Alabama by two touchdowns. both teams have great defense, yet Alabama has whom may be considered only a lucky quarterback, and an average quarterback for Notre Dame will give them a two touchdown point advantage. the gambling is as much part of football as states alike Alabama (returning for the fourth time) have nothing better to do with their life than school football {(a bit alike Texas) Heisman Trophy quarterback Johnny Football- got 500 yards offense on their last game}; this should be a dull, low scoring game. great defense, both teams, and very little offense outstanding for the entire first half. it will be the kind of game to watch the start and then tune in to see the last quarter of the game.:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by rollzone
    hello. tonight is the college football super bowl game. the money is on Notre Dame to beat Alabama by two touchdowns. both teams have great defense, yet Alabama has whom may be considered only a lucky quarterback, and an average quarterback for Notre Dame will give them a two touchdown point advantage. the gambling is as much part of football as states alike Alabama (returning for the fourth time) have nothing better to do with their life than school football {(a bit alike Texas) Heisman Trophy quarterback Johnny Football- got 500 yards offense on their last game}; this should be a dull, low scoring game. great defense, both teams, and very little offense outstanding for the entire first half. it will be the kind of game to watch the start and then tune in to see the last quarter of the game.:thumbsup:
    Wow ND is 14 point favorites? ND is good but they havent really played anyone. SEC has won it the last seven years and tonight will make it 8. Not a big Alabama fan but always support the SEC. Watch out for little old Ole Miss next year haha

Nevermind Bama is 9.5 favorites to win