Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1524 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

And now it begins....

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Physician arrested in undercover medical marijuana sting

AURORA -9Wants to Know has learned a doctor has been arrested on suspicion of felony charges tied to illegal marijuana distribution following a five-month-long investigation by Aurora Police.
    Dr. Manuel Aquino-Villaman was arrested at his practice, Canna Health, on Thursday. The 69-year-old physician is expected to face charges of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and attempting to influence a public servant, both felonies.

Aurora Police say officers became suspicious when they encountered a disproportionate number of medical marijuana patients with paperwork authorized by Aquino-Villaman.

A five-month investigation into the doctor's practices included a sting where two undercover police officers obtained signed doctor's certificates allowing them to buy marijuana.

Police say Aquino-Villaman spent a few minutes with each undercover officer, did not physically examine either and did not request medical documentation before issuing medical marijuana physician's certificates. The cost for each consultation was $120.

Canna Health's website says the clinic, in the 3000 block of South Parker Road, offers a "stress-free environment" where patients receive "convenient, reliable medical advice and evaluations at an affordable cost."

A clinic employee called the arrest "harassment" on Friday, but said Canna Health would decline to discuss the incident due to lack of information. The employee indicated Aquino-Villaman was not in the office Friday.

Aquino-Villaman was held at the Aurora Detention Center before being released on $6,000 bond.

Aquino-Villaman has not been subject to any public punitive actions against his medical license since it was issued in 2007, according to the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' website. Aquino-Villaman received his medical training at the University of Barcelona in Spain, said a department spokesman.

Aquino-Villaman is also registered to practice medicine in Michigan. The Michigan Department of Community Health's website does not indicate any disciplinary action or open formal complaints against Aquino-Villaman.

(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)
    Nosmo33 Reviewed by Nosmo33 on . And now it begins.... 9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Physician arrested in undercover medical marijuana sting AURORA -9Wants to Know has learned a doctor has been arrested on suspicion of felony charges tied to illegal marijuana distribution following a five-month-long investigation by Aurora Police. Dr. Manuel Aquino-Villaman was arrested at his practice, Canna Health, on Thursday. The 69-year-old physician is expected to face charges of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and attempting Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

And now it begins....

What about all those patients that he signed for?!!!??

funkfingers

And now it begins....

if his license is pulled, I believe that a lot of his recs may be invalid..Happened to a doc in NORCAL

•     

And now it begins....

Patients will be fine, they didn't do anything wrong except show up for a doctor's appointment. I have 5 that were signed by Aquino, although it was back in November. All checks cashed but no license yet.

They can't 'retro' his prescriptions back. Or my patients will be suing the state.

•     

And now it begins....

Quote Originally Posted by PolishPotFarmer
    Patients will be fine, they didn't do anything wrong except show up for a doctor's appointment. I have 5 that were signed by Aquino, although it was back in November. All checks cashed but no license yet.

They can't 'retro' his prescriptions back. Or my patients will be suing the state.
    Good luck with that, a case like that would take years. As far as thier ability to to that, text from HB-1284 effective July 1, 2010:

(b) THE STATE HEALTH AGENCY MAY DENY A PATIENT'S OR PRIMARY
    CAREGIVER'S APPLICATION FOR A REGISTRY IDENTIFICATION CARD OR
    REVOKE THE CARD IF THE STATE HEALTH AGENCY, IN ACCORDANCE WITH
    ARTICLE 4 OF TITLE 24, C.R.S., DETERMINES THAT THE PHYSICIAN WHO
    DIAGNOSED THE PATIENT'S DEBILITATING MEDICAL CONDITION, THE PATIENT,
    OR THE PRIMARY CAREGIVER VIOLATED SECTION 14 OF ARTICLE XVIII OF
    THE STATE CONSTITUTION, THIS SECTION, OR THE RULES PROMULGATED BY
    THE STATE HEALTH AGENCY PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION; EXCEPT THAT,
    WHEN A PHYSICIAN'S VIOLATION IS THE BASIS FOR ADVERSE ACTION, THE
    STATE HEALTH AGENCY MAY ONLY DENY OR REVOKE A PATIENT'S
    APPLICATION OR REGISTRY IDENTIFICATION CARD WHEN THE PHYSICIAN'S
    VIOLATION IS RELATED TO THE ISSUANCE OF A MEDICAL MARIJUANA
    RECOMMENDATION.

Of course, this Dr. has not been convicted of anything at this point but to charge a Physicain w/ felony intent to disribute mariana is unprecedented. If he is convicted of that charge, well it will be a major blow to medical marijuana in the state of Co., to say the least.

•     

And now it begins....

Seems thin.

•     

And now it begins....

Quote Originally Posted by HighPopalorum
    Seems thin.
    I completly agree. Sends quite a message though.

•     

And now it begins....

so if Aquino signed my rec, and my check has been cashed (on may 3rd), but i don't have my card yet, I am still ok? Should I find another doctor? Get another rec?

•     

And now it begins....

Quote Originally Posted by luge469
    so if Aquino signed my rec, and my check has been cashed (on may 3rd), but i don't have my card yet, I am still ok? Should I find another doctor? Get another rec?
    Personally, If it were me, I'd just sit tight. You'll either receive your card or hear from the Dept. Health if there is an issue.

•     

And now it begins....

If your check was cashed, continue to sit tight. It has been a while, though, so you might send a registered letter inquiring about the status of your application. Mention the fact that your check was cashed. I would not mention the doc's problems in that letter.

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast