Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1525 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need help please...look at the pics and advise.

hey guys. i had a rooted clone that someone gave me. it was in coco pete in a small container with good root development. the only thing is i had to wash the roots gently with hand shower, and then wrapped the roots in wet tissue paper, misted the leaves, and placed it in a freezer bag, folded it a bit and put it in my suitcase as it needed to travel :P ( the dude who gave it to me said it shud be okay). It may have experienced low temperatures but it was insulated in some clothing. this was for about 12 hours or so. when i got a chance then i gently removed the tissue paper, made a hole in the pot about 2 inches in diameter ( i mean in the soil), and placed the roots and the stem in organic potting soil, n then filled it up. I watered it and gave it a bit of sun. The bottom of the plastic pot ive used has around 5 small 2mm holes to allow for drainage. The clone seemed to do fine for a day cuz it looked real happy in the evening, but the next day i saw the leaves are turning dark green at the edges, curling up. Some are rotting as if there are fertilizer burns, or heat burns. I do admit its hot in the country, about 35-38 celcius, but now its been keep in an a/c room with 25-27 degrees, under two T5 15W fluorescent cool white lamps. Any advise would be great, because it would be real sad to loose this strain n clone. I've been giving it pure drinking water, dont know the ph of the soil or the water, but im trying to get hold of one as soon as i can. its just hard to find one here.

maybe ive used the wrong soil type? cuz its not what ive seen some ppl use, but its all i could find here which seemed good and most widely used for growing plants in pots. i soil seems to contain rotted cow dung manure, which again is very commonly used here in soil for fert purposes. But not too much, u can seee the pot and the small black blobs in it, or maybe im wrong. Would it make the soil acidic?
    ogfarmer Reviewed by ogfarmer on . need help please...look at the pics and advise. hey guys. i had a rooted clone that someone gave me. it was in coco pete in a small container with good root development. the only thing is i had to wash the roots gently with hand shower, and then wrapped the roots in wet tissue paper, misted the leaves, and placed it in a freezer bag, folded it a bit and put it in my suitcase as it needed to travel :P ( the dude who gave it to me said it shud be okay). It may have experienced low temperatures but it was insulated in some clothing. this was Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Is that soil all sandy like that? If so, it's likely starving your roots of oxygen. Wet sand takes a while to dry out, not to mention it's not a good solo medium to be using.

I would find a more appropriate potting mix, one that has perlite mixed in for drainage and aeration.

Give us any information on that soil you have, a picture of the ingredients or a name or something so we can determine if it's the culprit. My guess is that it is.

hey man, yea it is quite sandy, Its alluvial rich soil, very fine grained. mixed with decomposed leaves and cow manure i think... dont know where i could possibly find perlite here. Besides ppl dont speak much english, going around asking for perlite will be mission impossible :S unfortunately i cant order ne of this stuff here too. Any other suggestion which would be easy to find? and if i was to change the soil id have to transplant it again....wouldnt it be doing more damage to the roots? how long before this clone actually dies out?

If i'm not mistaken here, alluvial soil comes from river sediment and isn't meant to be potted directly into. I believe it's often used as an amendment added to potting soil as a nutrient source.

I would get it in some plain dirt or something, I have a feeling that alluvial soil is going to burn it to a crisp rather quickly. I think the danger of transplant will be less than the danger of leaving it in that "soil".

There's a good chance that the roots haven't grown much into the AS since it's hot with nutes, so I believe a transplant will be welcomed by the plant.

If someone else has an idea about this, please chime in. I want to be wrong here.

thanks for the quick response both times. ive read on alot of places that weed plants grow like tomatoes, and so would it make sense to ask some garden shops for right soil for that? it'd be easier to get the name of the soil in the language as opposed to "potting soil" ppl dont understand because when i asked for potting soil this is the soil they gave me in the first place. Also if i am transplanting, would u recommend to wash the roots off like i did before? or just remove as much soil possible then transplant into new soil. Should i look for coco peat? shit tonnes of coconuts around here so im bound to be able to find that?

If you can find something for tomatoes, it would be much better than the conditions it's in now. So I think that would be good to shoot for.

As far as transplant goes, I would rid of as much of the current mix as you can without damaging the roots. If rinsing seems like it's uncomfortable then don't do it. You can always leech the soil with some water once it gets a hold in the new soil.

I have no experience with coco, however many around here use it with success. I do know you need to add liquid nutrients to your water mix to grow cannabis well. I think it may be easier for you in some old school potting type soil that has nutrients in it if access to products is that limited.

cool man...cheers for the help....will do as advised and get back to u...also i made the mistake of planting 5 seeds in a similar soil mix? been 3 days, havent sprouted yet, but even if they were to doubt ill be able to transplant them without killing them off...else if this plant seemed to be dying in this soil how would the seedlings survive?

Quote Originally Posted by ogfarmer
    also i made the mistake of planting 5 seeds in a similar soil mix? been 3 days, havent sprouted yet,
    Get them out of it ASAP. If it's killing your clone, the seedling won't stand a fighting chance.

Get some new soil asap, if the seedlings haven't sprouted, transplant them in new soil Very Carefully, use tweezers if you need to.

Get standard potting soil (composted) and perlite. Mix 1/3 perlite, 2/3 soil. Transplant into new soil, water with a mix of 1/6 part urine, 1 tablespoon of raw sugar or molasses, and rest water in a 2 litre bottle.

Let it sit and get to its senses for a couple days in a place with good light and no more than 25 degrees C. 20-25 C is optimal. Little humidity.

Also add a couple bottles with needle holes in cap, with a mixture of 50gr sugar, one spoon yeast, a bit urine and half full bottle water, shaken well, and place these bottles around the plant with some covering (f.ex aluminuim / tin foil with light inside) to give a Co2 boost.

if you give this poor baby any more food she will DIE. cow shit and sand ?? piss and suger? OMG!!! ASAP get a pot at least twice as deep and wide as the one its in now.[never use a clear pot].find those coconuts and fill your pot with the stuff from the OUTSIDE of the shell. rinse will with clean water.you will notice it does not hold much water....this is a good thing.now make a hole in it for ur baby.then take the plant in that clear cup and slide it between your fingers, turn it upside down and lift off the cup.if most of the sand doesn't fall off gently nudge it with your finger untill you see roots... when you see roots STOP. cover the remaining clump with ur free hand and turn it right side up and lower into the hole in your coco....there should be 2or 3 inchs of stem below the level of coco.....gently cover the sand ball with coco .now we are going to remove most of the remaining sand so your baby can breath again........ while supporting the plant and pot with one hand pour water drictly above the sand ball while shaking the pot/plant gently. this should dislodge the sand and wash it to the bottom of the pot.now you can put her in a shady spot [NO DRICT SUN] with a slight brezze .do not over water and no food until she shows new growth and then about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon 15-30-15 . if she lives let us know. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast