Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1499 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DIY: Carbon Air Filter - CHEAP, and EFFECTIVE!

i am SO gonna use this....probably 2 of 'em....thanks for the info:thumbsup:
    Who do you think we\'re bullshitin?

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flyingimam
    ditto on this design!

but I have a somewhat relevant question:

with THIS SPECIFIC FILTER DESIGN in mind

Would one be able to use a 120mm computer case fan with CFM rating of 103 to effectively pull/push air thru and get deodorized air on the outside?

CFM is CFM it will push what it says but I say if you have no suction it isn't going to do any good or too much ventilation for it to push through no good either.

Could this be used as a closed air scrubber meaning it doesnt lead out to a external location..

My closet can be vented into the crawl space but I'd rather not drill any holes thru walls

Im gonna try this & see anyway

Yes, it can be vented back in to the room. Scubbed air is scrubbed air is scrubbed air.... However, you do not want to keep recycling the same air around the room, that will suffocate the plants eventually. Think of a person with bad breath being locked in a closet, you have an air scrubber in there to filter out his bad breath but his carbon dioxide keeps getting pushed around the room, eventually the bastard will die.

I am sure you will figure something out to get fresh air moving in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingimam
    ditto on this design!

but I have a somewhat relevant question:

with THIS SPECIFIC FILTER DESIGN in mind

Would one be able to use a 120mm computer case fan with CFM rating of 103 to effectively pull/push air thru and get deodorized air on the outside?

or a sturdier inline fan of similar CFM is required?

we're talking $20 vs. at least $80 in cost.

and FYI, for purposes of this post, the venting system will only be used to deodorize the air without actually having an exhaust outside of the closet box (no attic, outdoors, wall connection), aka enclosed air filtration
    EDIT: THIS FAN QUESTION IS NOT FOR PURPOSES OF HEAT CONTROL
    For those of you looking for a cheap fan to run this thing.. In the same Isle you bought your ducting at home depot.. they have small inline duct booster fans.. I have seen them in 4, 5 and 6 inch models.. Its basically just a piece of ducting about 8 inches long with a fan built into it.. I have a 5 inch and it pushes 120cfm... it was 16 bucks.. and would PERFECT for this application as you would be able to use the fan itself as the top end of the filter.. Great post! Cheers!

Wouldn't the inline fan have to be at the bottom of the filter? Mounting it at the top, it would pull air into the chamber, but it would not force it out. It would also pull air in from outside the filter as well, in the other direction.

I like using that inline duct fan, but it has to be between the grow room area and the filter, to move the air towards and through the filter.

doesnt matter if its at the bottom or top only the direction of flow. as long as it pulls air OUT of the space you want scrubbed and thru the filter. thats how he has it set up from what i can see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12